The Beer Thread

PowerButchi

Yeah, it's a CAMRA organised things - thanks guys.

Normally my ale consumption doesn't stretch past whatever my local have got on, but I've been making a bit of an effort to branch out within recent months, nothing too extreme, just guest ales and whatever I can find at the supermarket. It's my first time visiting any kind of festival as such so I'm quite excited! Will try to report back with any significant thoughts or findings.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know if any people on here live in the South Manchester/Stockport area, but a branch of craft beer shop The Epicurean just opened in Heaton Moor.

Really good selection of stuff and the lad that runs it is pretty cool. Just had a chat about New Japan and Future Shock whilst I picked up a lovely Wild Beer Millionaire.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, wordsfromlee said:

They're the best. I got to the bar opening every month. I'll be there on Saturday.

I was introduced to Shropshire Gold, Oracle and Lemon Dream.

Absolutely top pints. I stuck with the Gold as the bar was free and it felt more session than the rest.

Any other recommendations from them?

Kashmir is one of their best keg beers. Auric is on this weekend too which is lovely despite being only 4%. At Christmas I bought a crate of Automaton which is basically a 7% version of Kashmir which is delightful. Hop Twister is a lovely cask one. They do Hop Twister and Lemon Dream on keg sometimes which is a must have, although they should be named something different as they taste completely different to the cask version.

Their 6 core cask beers are always a safe bet. Some of the seasonal ones like Treasure Trove and Firkin Freezing are a bit average as they all seem to taste the same. Bit boring and flavourless.

Their keg black-label range is where they really shine. Theres a bit of everything for everyone there. 4% Lemon Dream through to the 9% DIPA Lullaby. 

I don't think they've ever done a bad beer. I'd thoroughly recommend going to the bar at the brewery this weekend. They have 4 keg and 4 cask on. One of the keg beers is their collaboration with Yeastie Boys which sounds interesting.

I know I sound biased because they're my local brewery but pretty much every beer they do is great. 

• Moderators

Oracle or Hoptwister are their top boys for me. Golden Thread is also lovely but it's fucking loopy juice. Being close to the Shropshire border here, Salopian's always on somewhere locally which is ace.

• 1 month later...

Home Bargains are currently selling an utter monstrocity, Crabbies ginger beer mixed with Sadlers stout and it's... ok.

For £1.19 a bottle it's worth it as a little joke buy but it doesn't mix all too badly, but if HB sell it it probably means it's now been discontinued.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, hallicks said:

I'm quite partial to a Sierra Nevada, but I don't see it in many pubs round here. Is there something similar to it in flavour that's more commonly available? 

Camden Town Brewery Pale Ale is probably what's kicking it off most taps.