UFC 164: 'Henderson vs Pettis II'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Yeah, the God squad stuff really grates on me, and in particular when you hear fighters go "God was in my corner tonight. Couldn't have done it without him." Especially in a sport like MMA. I'm sure God, if he exists, just loves watching people get kneed in the nose. And he'd definitely root one for guy over another. I'm all for people believing in what they want, but almost preaching in the cage after fights is a bit much.

"I can do all things...THROUGH CHRIST! Can I get an Amen?"

No, you can't.

On that note here's a quick heads up, and you'll be pleased to know this Bifkin, there's a Benson Henderson special airing tonight on BT Sports. You can watch the Countdown at 9pm, then Benson Henderson: Rising Up at 10pm. It's repeated tomorrow night at 11pm as well, just before all the UFC 164 stuff kicks off.

• Paid Members
And Bendo had a hard time taking Pettis down last time, depending on how much Pettis has improved in the three years since, if he can keep it standing it could be a rough night for Benson.

I hope so wand. I

• Paid Members

Both fights are very hard to call.

Bendo is amazing - but I don't really know how good Pettis is compared to him. They've both improved so much since that first fight. I'll go with Pettis by decision.

Looking forward to Mir/Barnett too - always gotta root for Josh because he cuts such a mean promo & represents pro wrestling. Josh by TKO or submission due to Mir gassing.

Great card!

Most agree on Bendo, I am pretty indifferent myself, but with the bible bumming and unconvincing wins over Edgar x2 and Melendez, people are not ready to accept him as a worthy Champion, like they do with Jones or GSP for example.

I adore Pettis, so I obviously hope he wins tomorrow night. Really looking forward to it. Nice to have you joining the debate Bifkin.

EDIT: Just saw bits of the weigh in, Vera came in at 241lbs!

• Paid Members
EDIT: Just saw bits of the weigh in, Vera came in at 241lbs!

I just came in to post that. 241! I thought it was a typo. I haven't watched the weigh in yet or seen a picture of Vera, but I think it's safe to say that won't be a ripped, monster mode 241. Vera must have been tucking in big time. I'm sure even when he was heavyweight years ago he was usually only around the 225-230 mark at the most.

While I'm here;

bendo-pettis.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Mir-Barnett.jpg

We haven't mentioned it yet but Soa Palelei vs Nikita Krylov on Facebook could be good fun. Palelei has gone 11-1 since being sacked by the UFC in 2008. All 11 wins were stoppages and the one loss was to Daniel Cormier so no shame there.

Krylov could be a good prospect. 21 years old, 6'3" and he's 15-2 with all his wins by stoppage. He's Ukrainian and his nickname is 'Al Capone' for some reason. Look at him;

1369903235Krylov.jpg

And yeah, Brandon Vera at 241.

• Paid Members
And Bendo had a hard time taking Pettis down last time, depending on how much Pettis has improved in the three years since, if he can keep it standing it could be a rough night for Benson.

I hope so wand. I

Krylov could be a good prospect. 21 years old, 6'3" and he's 15-2 with all his wins by stoppage. He's Ukrainian and his nickname is 'Al Capone' for some reason. Look at him;

Be very wary of Krylov. He is meant to have a padded record and not very good from what I hear. Jordan Breen basically said he was King Of The Cage level the other day.

• Paid Members
Be very wary of Krylov. He is meant to have a padded record and not very good from what I hear. Jordan Breen basically said he was King Of The Cage level the other day.

Yeah, it did cross my mind about Krylov actually, looking at his record it's hard to gauge how good he really is. I don't know any of the guys he's beat. A bunch of names ending in 'ov' and 'enko' who I've never seen or heard of before. Still, 15-2 is a good start to any MMA career. It's a padded record but that doesn't necessarily mean he isn't legitimately good. We won't know until he takes a step up. I mean, Renan Barao fought a load of unknowns in Brazil before signing with WEC. And he's risen to the challenge just fine. Krylov could be the same, or he could be a flop.

Him and Palelei are in a similar boat. Good records win-loss wise, but against questionable opposition. Palelei's been on a good run post-UFC but he's been beating the likes of Bob Sapp and a load of no-names. Both of them are going to get a proper test in the UFC. We'll see. I can't see either making waves but they might make for some good fights at the Pat Barry level.

Mir looks in good nick. Barnett wearing a t-shirt is a bit of a worry; what's he hiding in there?

Vera looks in okay shape, he doesn't look as fat as I thought he would at 241. The pictures on google images, if anyone's interested.

I'm one of those strange people who actually quite likes Mir, and I fancy him to sneak it tonight.

Yeah, I mean I am only going on Breen's word. He is only 21 as well, so who knows how much he could have improved (look at Kelvin from TUF, it showed he improved from the Hall fight, in his performance this week)

Palelei has been hyped as a fighter who could make waves for years, he has that stinker with Eddie Sanchez, and he did lose in Pride in a fight I have never seen (its meant to be beyond bad) But I have read he has improved since 2007.

Either way, its a Heavyweight bout, that could be entertaining, for the right or wrong reasons.

Archived