UFC 164: 'Henderson vs Pettis II'

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Two weeks!

UFC-164-640x360.jpg

PPV MAIN CARD

Benson Henderson vs Anthony Pettis - UFC Lightweight Title

Frank Mir vs Josh Barnett

Chad Mendes vs Clay Guida

Ben Rothwell vs Brandon Vera

Dustin Poirier vs Erik Koch

FOX SPORTS 1 PRELIMS

Gleison Tibau vs Jamie Varner

Louis Gaudinot vs Tim Elliott

Pascal Krauss vs Hyun Gyu Lim

Kyung Ho Kang vs Chico Camus

FACEBOOK PRELIMS

Soa Palelei vs Nikita Krylov

Ryan Couture vs Al Iaquinta

Magnus Cedenblad vs Jared Hamman

Another strong set of fights there.

Henderson vs Pettis 2 is a rematch I've been wanting to see ever since their first fight back in 2010. They had an epic five round title fight, the last ever fight in the fantastic WEC promotion. Many had it as FOTY for 2010, ranking it along with huge fights like Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 and Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin. It was action-packed all the way, and about as even as a fight can be going into the fifth round. I'll have to rewatch it but I'm pretty sure I had them two rounds a piece going into the last round. Then in the last round of the last ever WEC fight, this happened;

pettis-henderson1.gif

To quote an awe-struck Stephan Bonnar on commentary - "He ran up the wall like a ninja."

That one kick made the difference and Anthony Pettis was crowned the new, and last ever, WEC Lightweight champion.

Since then, they've both found success in the UFC. Proving the WEC 155 division was 'for real'. Henderson is undefeated since losing to Pettis, he's 7-0 in the UFC. Although it hasn't been without controversy. Despite impressive wins over Nate Diaz, Jim Miller and Clay Guida - his unconvincing decisions over Frankie Edgar and Gilbert Melendez have hurt his credibilty as champion a bit. Especially when you compare him to dominant champions like Jon Jones at 205, GSP at 170, Jose Aldo at 145 and until recently, Anderson Silva at 185. Comparing anyone to that lot might be harsh, but that's the measuring stick for UFC champions in 2013. And unfortunately for Benson, he's not seen on that same level by most. Even Renan Barao, who's not even the official champion at 135, has been more dominant as interim champ than Bendo has as the top dog at lightweight.

Pettis is the opposite. Benson is technically great and can win the points game even when he probably shouldn't. Pettis is a finisher. And a spectacular one at that. He may have the most creative and exciting style of striking to watch on the whole roster. He's had mixed results since WEC closed its doors. He lost to Clay Guida in his UFC debut. And he's had a bunch of injuries scattered throughout his run. But for the most part he's looked phenomenal. Handily beating Jeremy Stephens, knocking out Joe Lauzon in the first round with a vicious headkick and then absolutely obliterating Donald Cerrone in January.

It's a fascinating rematch because I think they've both improved since they last met. The hype has been quiet and the fight probably hasn't had quite the attention a rematch of a FOTY deserves. Mostly because it's fallen in a packed month and I suppose it's kind of been lost in the shuffle. And also, people were gutted Pettis vs Aldo fell apart. But if this fight lives up to the first fight and the expectations of the rematch, this could well be a FOTY contender again. It's in Pettis hometown, Milwaukee, as well so expect him to get the star reaction.

henderson-pettis-wec-53_large.jpg

Co-main event is a long awaited fight for me. It wasn't too long ago Dana White hated Josh Barnett. It seemed like at least once every couple of months there'd be a quote or video of a Dana White outburst about Barnett. Here's one of them going back to 2010;

"All of us are gonna make mistakes, it's how you deal with those mistakes that matter. You take a guy like Josh Barnett. This guy has tested positive three times and denies every one of them, says he didn't take them. He comes out with an interview last week saying, 'I don't care that you bought tickets to the fight. I don't care that Fedor flew all the way in from Russia and trained and spent his own money to do this. I don't care that this company Affliction believes in me and was allowing me to make a living before I put them out of business.' Those are the kind of guys I have zero tolerance for. And that's why he's not in the UFC and never will be."

Fast forward a bit;

method_get_s_josh-barnett-dana-white_large_large.jpg

Old pals. And now Josh Barnett is back in the fold. Almost 12 years since his last trip to the Octagon where he TKO'd Randy Couture to win the UFC Heavyweight title. Then he was stripped of the belt for testing positive for steroids, and so began a tradition. Hopefully Barnett has put that stuff behind him now.

Like I said, his return match is one I've wanted to see for years. I've brought it up on here countless times, back when it seemed like Barnett would never be back in Zuffa's good graces. I've even suggested these two coach TUF. Obviously that's out now but at least the fight is finally happening.

Frank-Mir_251_right30.png

Two of the best submission artists in the history of heavyweight MMA, but from totally different backgrounds. Barnett from catch wrestling, Frank Mir from BJJ. And they're also probably the best two heavyweights at talking up and selling a fight. I've always been quite fascinated by the possibility of this fight so I'm really chuffed it's actually happening. I didn't ever believe it really would, to be honest.

It's going to be weird as fuck seeing Barnett back in the Octagon.

Elsewhere on the card, Mendes vs Guida has been kind of the forgotten title eliminator in the 145 division. Everyone is talking about Cub Swanson and Ricardo Lamas, but the winner of this fight can't be far behind. I think this could wind up being a hell of a fight. Mendes has the wrestling to not get stifled by Clay, but he also likes to throw bombs and he has a good combination of power and speed. He's looked incredible since Duane Ludwig took over as head coach at Alpha Male. Everything seems to be clicking for him. And usually when Clay can't dominate someone things get a bit crazy. It's been a while since we saw Crazy Clay. He's been lacklustre in his last few fights. Surely we're due something special out of him. That's how it usually goes with him.

Vera vs Rothwell is a strange fight. Vera returns to heavyweight for this, which isn't so bad an idea now the vanilla gorillas Brock and Carwin have fucked off. Maybe not having to cut weight will see a more energetic Vera, or maybe not. Who knows with him. He gave a good account of himself in his last fight against Shogun but that was a year ago. Rothwell is kind of in limbo at the minute as well. This is an odd one. Can't say I'm that interested in it, it's got the feel of Joe Silva having matched everyone else up and these were the last two guys no-one wanted so he thought 'fuck it, we'll put them together.' Could be a pleasant surprise but my expectations aren't high.

Poirier vs Koch should be an entertaining opener to the PPV. Pretty even on paper. I like watching both fight but they've both got a tosser vibe to them for me. I'll root for Poirier simply because I don't dislike him as much as I do Koch and his constantly sunburnt face.

Prelims look decent. Tibau vs Varner should be good. And Chico Camus if I remember right, was impressive in his last fight. I seem to remember thinking he had a bit of a BJ Penn style grappling style which I liked. Hyun Gyu Lim is the guy who reportedly almost ripped Joe Rogan's arm off in a BJJ session before his UFC debut.

And of course;

TUF-14-Louis-Gaudinot_large_medium.jpg

Louis Gaudinot. Probably the leading candidate to get the next crack at Flyweight gold with an good showing here. Especially since the other top contender, John Lineker, missed weight the other week. You can usually rely on Gaudinot for an exciting fight. Actually, since I've mentioned them both there - give Gaudinot vs Lineker a blast if you haven't seen it. It's my favourite Flyweight fight yet. Awesome.

So yeah, two short weeks until this. Can't wait for Henderson vs Pettis and Barnett vs Mir. I'm rooting hard for Pettis and Barnett to reign triumphant.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot about Mir vs Barnett.

One thing to remember is that both are not great wrestlers, both are pretty average in that department. Grappling, I actually think Barnett is better, he for my money outgrappled a younger Big Nog over two fights, and came close to subbing Nog in both fights. Whilst Mir did actually submit a younger Nog, I think in a prolonged grappling match Barnett could and should over power Mir.

Brock Lesnar showed a power wrestler can neutralise Mir, and whilst Barnett is not as strong as Lesnar, he is no weak Heavyweight. Striking wise, both are pretty bread and butter, like their wrestling games both are about on par, could go either way. I think Mir has a tiny bit more variety though.

You could argue its a bit too late in the day for this to be a "dream fight" but I am still chuffed to see it.

Pettis vs Bendo I have covered, but to recap.

I think Bendo is not enough of a general to stop Pettis from flowing. I think Pettis wins the striking exchanges as Bendo allows him too much room to breath, I think he knocks out Bendo.

I hope Rothwell vs Vera is not a tribute to Sylvia vs Vera. I actually think Rothwell will connect on the aging Vera for a knockout win. Would love to see Vera use his speed and skill advantage to show up Rothwell, like he did sub-par heavies in 2006. I like Mendes over Guida as well, given Mendes constant improvement.

Can't wait for the Bendo/Pettis fight, Im really going forward to it, and have some really great expectations for it. I hope Pettis wins.

A fight against Frank Mir was one of the main reasons I looked forward to Barnett going back to UFC, really looking forward to this fight too, I hope Barnett kicks Mir's lardy arse

• Paid Members

Yeah, if Dana White had personally phoned me and said "Hey, fucker. We're fucking signing Josh fucking Barnett. I know I'm supposed to hate him but it is what it is. So who do you fucking think I should fucking have him fucking fight?", I'd still have picked Mir as the ideal opponent if it was up to me.

There's plenty of interesting fights for Barnett in the UFC. And best of all, they're nearly all fresh match ups. Of the entire UFC heavyweight division, I think he's only faced Nogueira and Hunt. Fights with Cain, JDS, Nelson, Overeem, Werdum, Miocic, Struve, it's all new ground. But Barnett vs Mir is the one I've always been most intrigued by for some reason.

:laugh: Yeah same here. I think its because, for some reason based on nothing but the way I feel, I think Barnett will give Mir a good beating, even if loses, I think he will make Mir hurt first, and that is only good in my book.

Yeah, there are some great match ups for Barnett, I'd like to see him fight Werdum.

I don't think it will be easy win, in fact I'm not even saying I think Barnett will win, I just want Barnett to beat him up a lot. That's not the same thing as saying it will be an easy fight etc.

I wasn't meaning you in particular, I'm just a bit amused by the way people are discussing who they want Barnett to fight after Mir (not just on this forum either) as if he's a dead cert to win.

Barnett is 35 years old, and hasn't really been fighting the top guys in recent years. I'd say that aside from Cormier, Mir is probably the biggest test he's faced in almost seven years, when he dropped a decision to big Nog.

Henderson vs Pettis 2 is a rematch I've been wanting to see ever since their first fight back in 2010. They had an epic five round title fight, the last ever fight in the fantastic WEC promotion. Many had it as FOTY for 2010, ranking it along with huge fights like Anderson Silva vs Chael Sonnen 1 and Brock Lesnar vs Shane Carwin. It was action-packed all the way, and about as even as a fight can be going into the fifth round. I'll have to rewatch it but I'm pretty sure I had them two rounds a piece going into the last round. Then in the last round of the last ever WEC fight, this happened;

pettis-henderson1.gif

To quote an awe-struck Stephan Bonnar on commentary - "He ran up the wall like a ninja."

That one kick made the difference and Anthony Pettis was crowned the new, and last ever, WEC Lightweight champion.

Yup, checking my notes I had them level going into the final round giving Henderson rounds one and four (although four was close, but felt the rear naked choke attempt swung it in his favour) and Pettis rounds two and three. The fifth was close aswell up until the 'Showtime kick' which almost surely won him the fight and the title.

Yup, checking my notes I had them level going into the final round giving Henderson rounds one and four (although four was close, but felt the rear naked choke attempt swung it in his favour) and Pettis rounds two and three. The fifth was close aswell up until the 'Showtime kick' which almost surely won him the fight and the title.

Not only do you "take notes", but you retain them for years afterwards?

Not only do you "take notes", but you retain them for years afterwards?

It's just my DVD list that I've got saved in a Word Document. My memory is terrible to the point there is no way I'd be able to remember half the stuff that the likes of Wand come out with without it.

Basically it's a list of what MMA shows I've got on DVD, info about the event (date & venue), list of the fights and then any notable things that took place (cool submissions, quick victories, fights I liked etc). Here's what WEC 53 looks like:

WEC 53 12.16.10

Archived