G.O.A.T. (The Jerry Lawler Thread)

PowerButchi

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I prefer Michaels to Bret. I couldn't get into Bret's character. I also think that he shouldn't be completely dismissed. He's had some of the best matches/performances I've ever seen. He's right up there for me. Bret obviously had absolute classics too, but I never found his character was on par with Michaels. You'll likely find a lot of higher ups in WWE saying he's the best because of how easy it was to work with him. I don't remember many Michaels matches that weren't entertaining. Him vs. Triple H at Armageddon 2002 is a rare time where I was getting bored. The vast majority of his matches are at least 'good' matches. In terms of who drew more, who made more of a cultural impact, who sold more merch etc. Michaels isn't going to be up there. But for a career of moments to look back on, I think Michaels is up there.

Bret Hart all day every day for me. From Tag, Midcard and main event level - nobody has performed at such a high level. He sold like he was being slowly killed, had great fire, great punches, great kicks and could work with anybody. Drew me into every match and was believable.

I prefer Michaels to Bret. I couldn't get into Bret's character. I also think that he shouldn't be completely dismissed. He's had some of the best matches/performances I've ever seen. He's right up there for me. Bret obviously had absolute classics too, but I never found his character was on par with Michaels. You'll likely find a lot of higher ups in WWE saying he's the best because of how easy it was to work with him. I don't remember many Michaels matches that weren't entertaining. Him vs. Triple H at Armageddon 2002 is a rare time where I was getting bored. The vast majority of his matches are at least 'good' matches. In terms of who drew more, who made more of a cultural impact, who sold more merch etc. Michaels isn't going to be up there. But for a career of moments to look back on, I think Michaels is up there.

Surely the Hell In A Cell at Bad Blood '04 bored you to tears? It's the wrestling equivalent of Once Upon A Time In America, good but still going on today

• Paid Members

That match ws at least 15 minutes too long. I wonder If HHH and HBK had more matches against each other, on television and PPV than Cena and Orton? I expect they probably did when you add in all the triple threats they had in that time too.

That match ws at least 15 minutes too long. I wonder If HHH and HBK had more matches against each other, on television and PPV than Cena and Orton? I expect they probably did when you add in all the triple threats they had in that time too.

They certainly had better matches than Orton and Cena, the Summerslam '02 match and the Raw match from the end of 2003 were better than anything those two ever did, I remember genuinely thinking Michaels had won the title in the latter

And didn't involve the cell if I remember rightly.

• Paid Members

I can't really contribute to this thread, because both my opinion on (from what I've watched) who had the most amazing career in terms of overall body of work for quantity and quality of great matches, and who was the best of all time for forcing me into an emotional investment in his matches, would send Butch into a rage, as well as being a massive load of repeating myself on the matter of the former. Let's just say neither had punches as good as Lawler or will be working at 60 and leave it at that.

You know, this may come of as a bit of an unpopular opinion, but I think the vast majority who believe that Shawn Michaels and Bret Hart are the best ever just believe whatever hype WWE tell them.

I'm starting to think this forum business just might not be for me any more.

• Paid Members

My G.O.A.T. would have to be Shawn Michaels; great charisma, great storyteller, great worker, great high-flying style, and great promos. Ticks every box for me.

But I guess I just bought into the WWE hype, and he's actually shit and I know nothing.

I don't quite get the Shawn Michaels love, never have really. Well, I get that he's really good and has had some great matches, but there's something I can't quite put my finger on that doesn't gel with my tastes I guess. Think I probably liked him more as a tag wrestler than a singles guy, and had he worked a more tag-heavy company like Mid Atlantic than somewhere like WWE, I could see him being higher up my GOAT list.

My G.O.A.T. would have to be Shawn Michaels; great charisma, great storyteller, great worker, great high-flying style, and great promos. Ticks every box for me.

But I guess I just bought into the WWE hype, and he's actually shit and I know nothing.

Don't take what I said that way. I don't think Michaels is shit and he's actually pretty good, in my opinion. It's just that I've seen many, many workers better than him over the years and I think the reason why Michaels is rated so highly over them is because WWE promoted him that way. You can bet your bottom dollar that when The Undertaker retires, WWE will be doing the same with him. I'm not saying whoever thinks that is just believing into the WWE hype, I'm saying that there is a lot of fans who will lap up anything WWE tells them.

Archived