Smackdown Discussion Thread

Singles Bubba Ray would of been ace on Smackdown 

I thought for the sure the Dudleys were getting split up in the draft, they made it a thing to mention that tag teams are drafted as one unless the GMs only wanted one part of the team that I thought it would at least happen to one team as why make a point to mention it if it wasn't gonna happen and the Dudleys seemed the logical team to it with, they've pretty much done everything as a team as the nostalgia of seeing them again wore of pretty quickly, they havn't even been on Raw have they since the draft, just seems a waste to keep them as a team when we know Bubba can be a decent a singles guy

Anyway all in all it was a decent Smackdown, some good promos and decent matches that didn't drag, Just wondering where this leaves Bray now though, dosn't seem like he has anything going for Summerslam unless he can somehow insert himself into the title match and make it a Triple Threat

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there's a few here that think there's already too much WWE going on at the moment but I really think Smackdown would benefit by having an extra hour added like Raw.  These last 2 weeks on SD everything has felt too rushed for time constraint.

I really didn't expect Lesnar to show up on SD. That was a bonus for the crowd. It's very rare you get to see Lesnar appear on WWE TV unannounced.

I reckon the Eva Marie injury gimmick will become a regular thing every week.  I enjoyed this weeks SD more than last week.

Although for me this week it's  Raw 1  Smackdown 0 once again.

This was way better than last week. Triple threat match was fun, main event was decent and all it took was one good promo for me to become interested in Ziggler again! Though I'm sure that won't last long...

Really wished American Alpha would've gone against a local jobber team though, I really like the Vaudevillains and seeing AA beat them already was a little disappointing. 

David Otunga is one of the more horrible useless commentators in a very very long time. No redeeming features whatsoever.

I would've liked to have seen The Uso's split, they're a great team but have been without direction for ages (apart from The Club feud), I'd keep Jey as a colorful face like now just a fresh look, Jimmy I'd put with Niomi as a heel I think they put off the cocky swagger type gimmick well.

I'm liking the Ziggler stuff, I know he's not popular here, I'd like him to go full heel I think he'd stand a better chance as the pissed off heel like 97 HBK with some show off aspects rather than cocky stuff which he's done to death and Miz has pretty much got it sorted.

Orton looks oddly pale, he's always been a bronzed adonis type so maybe he just looks normal skintone now

I thought that about Orton last week. He was practically orange when he had that Iron Man match with Cena, now he's gone completly the opposite way.

I'd love to know how Heath Slater wasn't able to spot Rhino in that square room that he and Bryan were stood in a corner of, thereby having a clear view of the whole room.

Wrestling Greatest Mysteries- who lifted the briefcase, who sent Booker T that envelope and how bad is Heath Slater's eyesight

Style's promo work is remarkably good. I never thought for a million years that he could cut promos with this level of confidence in WWE. And to go toe to toe with John Cena is remarkable. I just don't like this angle.

They've tried to add a personal issue to a feud that doesn't need one. That promo needed Cena to point out that AJ's on his todd now and needs the club and for AJ to respond by adding motivation to his heel character - telling everyone that he doesn't need the club because he's willing to do whatever it takes to be the best. The fans might not like it but he's more than phenomenal moves and death defying risks, he's got more bottle than anyone else in the business and he doesn't give a damn who he has to step on to make it to the top.

Isn't there plenty of time between now and SummerSlam for them to have this sort of back and forth? To each their own but personally I loved what they done this week. Kids and their parents are already more or less the only ones booing AJ anyway. You may as well go for that white hot "genuinely, fuck you pal!" type heat from them since you have them anyway. Cena is doing the same shtick but it's great shtick and it's what Cena does. I struggle to think of top faces throughout history that have deviated from it with much success. 

They've already wrestled on PPV and this is SummerSlam. Put a bit of bad blood in to it, I say. I thought it was a great angle.

Really loving WWE at the minute! 

I really enjoyed this show. Ambrose and Ziggler surprised me and got me into their story. It was the usual "I don't get pushed enough" shite that you get when Ziggler has a mic, but he delivered it well and Ambrose's comments on him were great.

The Miz is always top value, and he seems like the perfect opponent for Apollo at this stage. Triple threat was good, I liked Corbin getting his heat back too.

Orton vs Fandango was nice continuity from last week, and Brock was a nice surprise.

They even built a Ziggler vs Wyatt main event to mean something! Totally agreed with whoever said it's a very Smackdown main event, but the way they got there made it feel worthwhile to me.

Cena and AJ were fantastic again. AJ has been a revelation on the microphone since WrestleMania, and there aren't many better than JC in history. This one was right in his sweet spot as well.

The Eva Marie stuff was interesting, and we had a fine debut for American Alpha.

The only downside to the show for me was the Carmella and Natalya stuff. They're both crap. But that aside, I'd happily consider this one of the best Smackdown episodes of the last ten years or so. Even when SD had the likes of Edge, HHH and Hardy, the undercard was much lamer than what they've got now.

I thought that about Orton last week. He was practically orange when he had that Iron Man match with Cena, now he's gone completly the opposite way.

I'd love to know how Heath Slater wasn't able to spot Rhino in that square room that he and Bryan were stood in a corner of, thereby having a clear view of the whole room.

Wrestling Greatest Mysteries- who lifted the briefcase, who sent Booker T that envelope and how bad is Heath Slater's eyesight

don't forget Who Pied Kevin Owens. and GTV.

• Paid Members

This is something they do all the time. They stand in the middle of a room (that isn't actually a room) instead of sitting down like normal people and anything that is off camera is impossible for them to see. And whenever anyone else wants to talk to the people standing in the middle of the fake room they enter either directly from the left or the right. WWE direction is terrible.

A notable example being when Luke Harper threw a beaten down Ziggler in front of The Authority. They didn't seem to notice the massive bearded bloke carrying the unconscious guy coming directly towards them until he was 2 feet away.

Style's promo work is remarkably good. I never thought for a million years that he could cut promos with this level of confidence in WWE. And to go toe to toe with John Cena is remarkable. I just don't like this angle.

They've tried to add a personal issue to a feud that doesn't need one. That promo needed Cena to point out that AJ's on his todd now and needs the club and for AJ to respond by adding motivation to his heel character - telling everyone that he doesn't need the club because he's willing to do whatever it takes to be the best. The fans might not like it but he's more than phenomenal moves and death defying risks, he's got more bottle than anyone else in the business and he doesn't give a damn who he has to step on to make it to the top.

Isn't there plenty of time between now and SummerSlam for them to have this sort of back and forth? To each their own but personally I loved what they done this week. Kids and their parents are already more or less the only ones booing AJ anyway. You may as well go for that white hot "genuinely, fuck you pal!" type heat from them since you have them anyway. Cena is doing the same shtick but it's great shtick and it's what Cena does. I struggle to think of top faces throughout history that have deviated from it with much success. 

They've already wrestled on PPV and this is SummerSlam. Put a bit of bad blood in to it, I say. I thought it was a great angle.

Really loving WWE at the minute! 

Aye I dont disagree with rick that that should be the crux point of their feud but it would've felt like a retread to do that this week. Being a dick to kids for heat will neveer not be funny to me, particularly when it's just a good verbal roasting. My only concern with it is the longer AJ plays bitter anti-Cena villain does it hurt him long term in some way? Don't know if he works it into his image and appeal like a CM Punk did and we're past the peak of the Cena Sux Era by now

I know there's a few here that think there's already too much WWE going on at the moment but I really think Smackdown would benefit by having an extra hour added like Raw.  These last 2 weeks on SD everything has felt too rushed for time constraint.

Noooooooooooooooooooooo! Two three-hour shows in one week sounds like hell to me. I have enough trouble trying to keep up with everything as is, with another hour to squeeze in something would have to give.

Really wished American Alpha would've gone against a local jobber team though, I really like the Vaudevillains and seeing AA beat them already was a little disappointing. 

Yeah I feel the same way. I actually really like the Vaudevillains and it's such a shame seeing them getting the jobber treatment when they could've used actual jobbers instead.

Feel the same about no thanks to a third hour. Not cos I don't have the time, but cos this roster can't hack it. I don't agree that things have felt rushed, I feel more like they haven't been meticulously overstretched - although Raw has felt the same way lately

Aye I dont disagree with rick that that should be the crux point of their feud but it would've felt like a retread to do that this week. Being a dick to kids for heat will neveer not be funny to me, particularly when it's just a good verbal roasting. My only concern with it is the longer AJ plays bitter anti-Cena villain does it hurt him long term in some way? Don't know if he works it into his image and appeal like a CM Punk did and we're past the peak of the Cena Sux Era by now

I think the Punk comparison is spot on. AJ is becoming someone who just really, really dislikes the concept of John Cena almost in a pantomine way. I love that, though. 'Beat up John Cena' is hillarious. I don't think it hinders him long term at all, really. This is the place where Big Show has a turn every time the tide shifts. AJ can easily revert to being a face again eventually. He's quite goofy.

I'm also infatuated with his accent. There's usually one pedestrian word a week he drawls on that cracks me up. I think this week it was just 'yeah'.

American Alpha v Wyatt & Harper is a potential match-up that has me drooling I'll admit, though I still wanna see more character development in Bray (and indeed Harper but perhaps away from each other)

Archived