Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit - Done a little research, seems as though smashing someone into the exposed turnbuckle isn't a DQ. Which makes the whole procedure really strange. Why do refs admonish guys for removing the pads etc? Not like he's gonna do anything about it. My mistake.

It should be a DQ though really. That said it is not like WWE have any real consistency in terms of DQs, a lot of the time using them when they feel like it to end a match that they have no idea how to otherwise end.

Edit - Done a little research, seems as though smashing someone into the exposed turnbuckle isn't a DQ. Which makes the whole procedure really strange. Why do refs admonish guys for removing the pads etc? Not like he's gonna do anything about it. My mistake.

Refs admonish guys for taking to the top rope usually don't they? Their role is to keep order and minimalize damage, the bastards. Bit odd that the ref wouldn't be scrambling to put it back on though

I can see why they didn't end it with a DQ but it did still feel pretty strange that nothing came of it. Ziggler wasn't even blasted by the commentators for going down that route (maybe I missed it though). If it's okay, why don't the heels immediately rip off all the corner pads before their matches start?

I'm trying to give the new Smackdown a shot but things felt a little flat for me. Maybe it was just the crowd. I was pumped for American Alpha but it was pretty by-the-numbers. The Lesnar appearance didn't feel quite as big as it maybe should have. I loved the Eva Marie thing though, I was laughing out loud. She's awesome.

Refs admonish guys for taking to the top rope usually don't they? Their role is to keep order and minimalize damage, the bastards. Bit odd that the ref wouldn't be scrambling to put it back on though

Refs usually issue a 5 count when someone is on the top rope. Normally gets to 4 before they either jump off or someone jumps up to do a Superplex. Never seen anyone DQ'd for being on the top rope for the full 5 seconds, and you frequently see people sat on them for ages. Unless it's specifically used when someone is standing on it.

Wrestling rules are bloody strange.

Now I'm laughing at the idea of somebody getting DQ'd for being on the top rope for too long. Actually wanna see it now. Sorry Neville, you didn't hit the red arrow quick enough lad. They don't call it high risk for nothin..

Now I'm laughing at the idea of somebody getting DQ'd for being on the top rope for too long. Actually wanna see it now. Sorry Neville, you didn't hit the red arrow quick enough lad. They don't call it high risk for nothin..

Don't forget, there was one point in WCW where jumping off the top rope at all resulted in a DQ. Same goes for throwing someone out of the ring over the top rope. Going through the middle was fine though.

It's amazing that they cut the roster in half and then manage to not have people wrestle every week. Yet before the draft, the same people would be wrestling on both RAW and SmackDown during the same week, while others didn't get a look in at all. (are Superstars and Main Event still going - which is where you'd usually get the others performing?)

Overall, SmackDown was a lot better this week than last. Less iffy moments and more focused quality. Love the factfiles on the entrance, it's different and makes the show feel differently to RAW. I hope they keep them for the SmackDown matches on joint pay-per-views. Like the fact that they're using the draft centre for Renee Young's backstage interviews. Again, it's different. 

I used to like JBL on commentary but he's one of the worst things about the new SmackDown. Ranallo and Otunga would be fine, especially if Dave goes back to having his flask of coffee with him at all times. 

Smackdown was much better this week and I can't stress enough how much easier it is to enjoy watching a two hour show than a three hour one.

I loved Ambrose's promo on Ziggler at the start though I'm not sure I'll ever be into anything Ziggler does but we'll see come Summerslam. Speaking of Summerslam I REALLY hope AJ beats Cena, it could add a really interesting dynamic to their feud other than just Cena getting his win leading to a rubber match... yawn.

(are Superstars and Main Event still going - which is where you'd usually get the others performing?)

Yes, and they're not setting the world on fire.

This week has

Neville vs. Curtis Axel

Dudley Boyz vs. Jack Swagger & Sin Cara

and

Tyler Breeze vs. Jey Uso

Hype Bros vs. The Ascension

I liked Renee Young's interview bits, makes it different to Raw.  But Natalya interrupting Carmella, after she'd gone to the trouble of having a microphone set up seemed daft.  If she wanted to interrupt that badly I'm sure she'd just do it.  Speaking of Natalya, ugh, she's just awful.  At least as a bad guy she can get away with that smug look, but it's still irritating.  Guess that's good though, now.

Been thinking about this SD roster, and aside from Deano, AJ, Cena & Orton (and probably Miz, in fairness) it has a definite 'rehab' feel to it, lots of guys there who've been damaged by sleep-booking (or indeed their own shitness). As stated Ziggler has impressed a lot in the opening seg this week, but I'd be very surprised if Apollo Crews and the likes start pulling something out of the bag as well.

I was stunned that neither Owens or Zayn was drafted, I assumed it would be leading to a continuation of their feud going into a possible face turn for KO and ensuing tag team, but they do seem to have actually kept them away from each other for the time being. The roster could definitely do with someone of that level of credibility though, or at least Cesaro. I feel a bit sorry for the people still destined to make fuck all impact on Raw now. Singles Bubba Ray coulda been beautiful, man.

Archived