Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want people to suggest stupid solutions to what they see as problems, like "why would you pick Mojo Rawley over Nakamura if you only have six NXT picks? Make the NXT picks unlimited, then choosing Rawley before Nakamura makes perfect sense."

Where did I say make them unlimited? I said don't make a rule that there must be 6. I was more going down the route of no NXT picks than unlimited ones. That way nobody will need to pick Nakamura or Rawley. Bring people in to debut naturally not through getting picked on a draft.

I want people to suggest stupid solutions to what they see as problems, like "why would you pick Mojo Rawley over Nakamura if you only have six NXT picks? Make the NXT picks unlimited, then choosing Rawley before Nakamura makes perfect sense."

Where did I say make them unlimited? I said don't make a rule that there must be 6. I was more going down the route of no NXT picks than unlimited ones. That way nobody will need to pick Nakamura or Rawley. Bring people in to debut naturally not through getting picked on a draft.

well it would be the same story wouldn't it? if Mojo debuted as a surprise next Tuesday, we still gotta assume Bryan/Shane's handpicked them, having had a look at Naka and Joe and gone 'nahhh'

• Paid Members

People are moaning and that but I'm happy they only called up a few of the real stand outs in NXT. Not only because it means they stay on NXT longer, but WWE calling up the likes of Joe, Nakamura, Bailey, Balor etc all at the same time probably increases the chances of most of them getting lost in the midcard shuffle.

They didn't say any six NXT did they? Just that there would be six. Lots of debate oer something now days past, and nothing can or will be done about as people go in circles

People are moaning and that but I'm happy they only called up a few of the real stand outs in NXT. Not only because it means they stay on NXT longer, but WWE calling up the likes of Joe, Nakamura, Bailey, Balor etc all at the same time probably increases the chances of most of them getting lost in the midcard shuffle.

That's a great point. Although the rosters for each show look so thin that it's hard to imagine anyone half decent getting lost in the shuffle now.

I don't think Bailey not being called up is a rib, but I get the impression she’s being groomed to be a trainer/agent as opposed to a future Diva.

Ludicrous.

Ha! That's by far the most marketable woman they've got with no help from Total Divas. Reckon she's gonna be a wrestler, mate.

• Paid Members

I do see what Pitcos is saying - there's been no real consensus on a way to do this, so no matter what they did people were going to criticise. The titles thing is a big example, because in truth, two world titles and a floating world champion both just seem like bad ideas that they won't execute well. It's just a matter of finding the lesser evil, or maybe - just don't do a fucking Roster Split.

In a sea of bad ideas though, I still think they've gone for some of the worst options. Neither show has much of an identity, there's just been no obvious forethought. There's no way even 2 weeks ago they thought they were breaking up The Club. They literally brought out a t-shirt for them today. Women on one show and Tag Teams on another seems really obvious, but they wrote themselves into a corner with the way they drafted. I get the problem of having no women on a show, but you can always fill up on Lana/Maryse/Summer Rae types. As it stands both rosters are just shitter mirror versions of each other with their three tag teams each and their two women.

The return of the cheapo blue and red "brand pride" t-shirts is emblematic of everything. They have no awareness about what was good or bad last time and they're just going to fudge their way through a few months of authority figure drama until it fails again.

College/minor league drafts and separate leagues/divisions have been the backbone of North American sports for decades, the big 4 all do it, so the American fans are used to it.

It's just they meet once a year to decide who the real best is and don't have title defences throughout the year, Superbowl, World Series & NBA Finals all have this, they also have division titles, that they have to win before they reach the finals of these competitions.

I'm not saying they should do any of that but it's not exactly weird for the average American sports fan.

Having all the tag teams on one show and all the women on the other would rob both brands of key ingredients in putting together a varied card on any given night.

Tag team wrestling in particular has been a staple of pro wrestling for decades, so they can't just switch to a format of all singles matches on SmackDown or Raw just to give the other show an exclusive to brag about.

There are more constructive and satisfying means of distinguishing between the two brands than simply reducing each of their options in contrasting ways.

But they always mix and match tag teams together anyway so you will still get tag matches in the usual format (e.g. if its a four way for the IC title on the next PPV they will probably do tag matches with all four competitors the go home show before the PPV). 

So to me it makes sense to have the full time tag teams if you like all on one brand with the tag titles to aim for. 

Archived