Smackdown Discussion Thread

The panel show on the network was ace except they constantly played down how good SmackDown's roster was in comparison. Kept banging on about how RAW had more quality. This is after just the first two rounds, in which SmackDown got the current WWE champion in Dean Ambrose, the two biggest stars of the last ten years in Cena and Orton and in between all that they got arguably the biggest name in global wrestling of the last decade, AJ Styles.

The star power SmackDown got in those opening two rounds especially, outweighs that of RAW's in my opinion despite RAW getting two extra picks.

On the extra pick thing, once the draft went to just the network, it went to three each which I found a bit odd.

SmackDown is certainly going to be first choice for me right now though, which is the first time that's ever happened. I was kinda hoping Bryan would draft "The Ryback" but looks like he's out in the cold completely. 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A big test will be how different, pronounced and creative the approaches the of Head Writers, Koskey (Raw) and Ward (SD) are.

And how much they are allowed to write the shows without overwhelming interference.

That's assuming that hadn't been changed as well.

• Paid Members

I really hope they take this opportunity to freshen some guys up. Just try something drastic as you have nothing to lose.

You would assume that's part of their plan.  Bray Wyatt would really benefit from this.

They did this quite a bit after the original roster split, didn't they? You had D-Von in his reverend gimmick, Bradshaw tried to reprise his New Blackjacks days and Bubba Ray - if I recall - started wearing shorts. I'm sure there were more examples.

Will they be chucking some new guys onto both rosters as well? They ended up bringing through quite a lot of development guys over the first year or so of the original split, plus a few big names were brought in (Rey, Steiner, Goldberg etc). That's something to look forward to.

I've only just had a chance to watch this, yet I've had to turn it off after 20 minutes because Stephanie is absolutely unbearable. Her little improv bits and her hilarious impressions are completely horrible.

There have to be quite a few returns coming up, don't there? Both rosters look paper thin.

I think if there is one flaw with the draft pick then I would have preferred divisions spread over the brands for anything below main event superstars.

So you would have your IC on one show, US on other. Tags on one, Divas on the other & Cruisers on the other and so forth. At least that way the shows can actually be different and not unbalanced with like three tag teams on each or four divas on each. 

It's harsh for someone like Becky Lynch who no longer has a chance to become womens champ from now on. As soon as I saw Charlotte get drafted to Raw it was pretty obvious that Sasha was going to follow to set up her inevitable title win at SummerSlam.

They can't win with the draft anyway, can they? If they keep the shows separate and introduce new titles to support that, people moan. If they have champions wrestling on both shows, people moan. If they try to fill three hours of Raw with no tag team or women's division, people moan.

I think it could've been pretty cool to have 1 roaming top dog, 1 tag team and 1 woman on both shows. Could maybe do something where the #1 contenders of Raw and SD are directly compared w/out going head-to-head, so for example Kevin Owens has won all his matches since last PPV, AJ Styles now needs a win if he's getting a title shot.  Would do a lot for the belts I feel. They'll be diluted if they introduce 3 more belts but if the rosters get really strong over time I'll get over it

They can't win with the draft anyway, can they? If they keep the shows separate and introduce new titles to support that, people moan. If they have champions wrestling on both shows, people moan. If they try to fill three hours of Raw with no tag team or women's division, people moan.

All you do is go round these boards moaning about people moaning and then moaning about people enjoying something on occasion. What do you want people to do when commenting on wrestling exactly?

I want people to suggest stupid solutions to what they see as problems, like "why would you pick Mojo Rawley over Nakamura if you only have six NXT picks? Make the NXT picks unlimited, then choosing Rawley before Nakamura makes perfect sense."

Archived