Smackdown Discussion Thread

Yeah, the only time i can recall a triple threat working storyline wise fo a main title was WM 30,when Bryan was added, because nobody wanted a Batista/Orton one on one match in 2014.

Ive never understood the companys obsession of shoehorning people into matches who have no reason to be there.

WM20 - HBK not needed, decent match though.

WM22 - Orton not needed, had a very "mid card" feel to it, and far too short. Angle/Mysterio for 20 mins could gave been discussed as an all time classic.

WM24 - HHH not needed, ruined a perfectly organic storyline. Average match.

WM25 - Big Show certainly not needed, who on earth thought that was a good idea?! Terrible match.

All the other IC/US/Womens/Tag title triple threats were fine for what they were as mid card attractions.

Becky/Ronda has a huge feel to it, i thought the boat was missed after Survivor Series but fair play to them i want to see it even more now, Charlotte just has no business anywhere near it.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Maybe in retrospect. But at the time? This was clearly Triple H politicking to get his mate in the main event again, after we’d already seen him do similar things in the previous year. For all intents and purposes, Shawn Michaels didn’t belong in the match. He was surely there to take a pin so Triple H wouldn’t have to, or to win so the fans wouldn’t be upset about Benoit losing. Either way, the focus was definitely going to be pulled from the Rumble winner on to HBK vs. HHH.

Of course, they pulled a massive swerve on that and the match was improved for it, but actually I recall reactions in the lead up being not dissimilar to current feelings about Charlotte/Becky/Ronda. 

I stand corrected. In that case.. none of those were main event worthy triple threats that actually made sense to be a triple threat.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I love Charlotte but one of the reasons I think she'll be added to the mania match is to take the fall. 

But if that's the case what is the point? Surely the big Mania moment is in Ronda taking her first loss to Becky, or if not Charlotte. Putting Charlotte in for the express purpose of taking the fall makes no sense to me. Becky pinning Charlotte does nothing for anyone, nor does Ronda retaining by submitting or pinning Charlotte. 

If they must put Charlotte in, I liked the idea that was proposed (might have been by someone on here, or may have been a Bubba Ray/Edge and Christian or someone else with a podcast/radio show, I forget) that they make it an elimination match, and then Charlotte can be involved but you get her out of there in the first fall. 

You right, it’s dumb. But in a triple threat situation I can easily see them taking that way out especially if Rousey is sticking around for a while after Mania. I’m being a cynical prick though, everything about the build so far suggests they’re going all in on Lynch. 

I think I prefer the elimination match idea though yeah. 

• Paid Members

I'd prefer it to be 1v1 just going by the reaction to their face to face last week. I'd envisaged weeks of them cutting each other down to size on the mic and just further adding to the anticipation. The quality of the match wouldn't suffer at all - it'll be a fantastic match whether it's Becky vs Ronda or whether they go with the triple threat. But Becky/Ronda is the story. That's the storyline that generates the big fight atmosphere. That's the storyline that's got the look and feel of a legitimate Wrestlemania main event.  

If they want to shoehorn Charlotte in, make her the ref. She has tension with both parties, but let’s the fans have the match they want. Plus can set her up easily as the next feud following the show 

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I love Charlotte but one of the reasons I think she'll be added to the mania match is to take the fall. 

That makes sense. Protects Ronda then. 

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

That makes sense. Protects Ronda then. 

I don't quite understand why you need to still 'protect' Ronda. You build an undefeated streak to create the big moment (and moment-um) of somebody ending it. If Ronda is going to be beaten, having it happen in the main event of WrestleMania to the hottest act in the company is surely the best case scenario. Why prevent that? If you don't, you either do it at a lesser event, or against a lesser opponent, or both, or she just never loses, which helps nobody.

Becky is the perfect person to beat Ronda. Rousey is going to get booed out of the building and won't get hurt by losing. It's not like she's their biggest most popular face who you want to keep strong still. She's going into a match where the majority of people WANT to see her lose and they need to take advantage of that.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I don't quite understand why you need to still 'protect' Ronda. You build an undefeated streak to create the big moment (and moment-um) of somebody ending it. If Ronda is going to be beaten, having it happen in the main event of WrestleMania to the hottest act in the company is surely the best case scenario. Why prevent that? If you don't, you either do it at a lesser event, or against a lesser opponent, or both, or she just never loses, which helps nobody.

I guess because they won't have any idea what to do with her once she's been beaten. Look at what happened to Asuka after her streak ended at Mania. If somebody else is in the match to take the fall Ronda is still technically unbeaten and they can keep a feud going with "you may have won the match, but you didn't beat me." 

• Awards Moderator
11 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I guess because they won't have any idea what to do with her once she's been beaten. Look at what happened to Asuka after her streak ended at Mania. If somebody else is in the match to take the fall Ronda is still technically unbeaten and they can keep a feud going with "you may have won the match, but you didn't beat me." 

I see the point, but if you do the “but you didn’t beat me” angle afterwards... that only logically ends with her being beaten anyway. So you may as well do it on the biggest stage possible!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I see the point, but if you do the “but you didn’t beat me” angle afterwards... that only logically ends with her being beaten anyway. So you may as well do it on the biggest stage possible!

I completely agree, but I think they're scared to have her lose because they don't know what to to to rebuild her afterwards. In spite of all the "wins and losses don't matter" spiel they obviously do as once somebody has a big loss they have no idea where to go from there. 

Unless you're particularly looking forward to Ronda putting Carmella over... 

It's like Lesnar though. Him losing could have meant the end for him as an unstoppable beast but it doesn't have to. Maybe Rousey takes a break. Maybe she goes crazy after and goes full heel and brings her mates up and runs the place. Who knows. It doesn't have to be the end for her when she loses and they can't be scared to do it.

Archived