Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’ve only seen SmackDown from the YouTube clips, but it felt to me like rather than actually pushing Charlotte into the match, they’re threatening it because they know it’s not what people want. They’re playing on it to elicit a reaction.

That being said, I do remember a third party being entered into a title match around WrestleMania XX time when people didn’t really want it, and that triple threat may have ultimately actually benefitted from it. Of course, the less said about the long term the better, but if Charlotte’s participation is inevitable, it doesn’t have to be for the worse.

(Naturally though I’d prefer Charlotte/Asuka II. The fact that Asuka is the champion without having beaten Charlotte one on one means the build up practically writes itself)

1 minute ago, Daaaaaad! said:

That being said, I do remember a third party being entered into a title match around WrestleMania XX time when people didn’t really want it, and that triple threat may have ultimately actually benefitted from it. Of course, the less said about the long term the better, but if Charlotte’s participation is inevitable, it doesn’t have to be for the worse.

I think the difference there is that the story wasn’t about Bryan vs Orton, which we’d already seen a million times, but about Bryan finally winning the big one and sticking it to the Authority. Batista being in the match didn’t affect that.

This time, the story is more about Becky vs Ronda than it is about Becky winning the title.

26 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Hang about. You think Charlotte will get the match instead of Becky? Really?! 

Yes, you saw Smackdown didn't you?

I think it's as clear as day that Charlotte will get the match instead of Becky for now whilst she is "suspended", and then to try and soften the blow Becky will get a match against Charlotte at fast lane to be reinstated into the match, which of course she will win.

I think it's beyond certain that they will use the carrot of Charlotte taking the spot as bait to force Becky into seeing a doctor. I'm half expecting the doc not to clear her, leading to a few weeks of her "rehabbing" before a Fastlane match against Charlotte. Perhaps not to make it triple threat, but instead to re-replace Charlotte and give us the one on one we all want.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Yes, you saw Smackdown didn't you?

I think it's as clear as day that Charlotte will get the match instead of Becky for now whilst she is "suspended", and then to try and soften the blow Becky will get a match against Charlotte at fast lane to be reinstated into the match, which of course she will win.

Ah, I thought you meant they'd replace Becky with Charlotte permanently, which I thought was crazy. Ultimately, I'm still praying that it's all a massive troll and Charlotte will go against Asuka at Wrestlemania. I can't get over how good that video package was for Asuka last night.

Boss. Forget apologising to the fans for Baron Corbin, Vince should be made to make an on-air apology for ever turning Asuka into the dancing berk she became last year.

7 hours ago, Glenryck Pilchards said:

How about the doctors that didn't clear her to face Rousey at Survivor Series?

Good point, I never thought of that! Did anyone mention that? If so I totally missed it. I take back what I said, that actually does make a lot of sense.

• Paid Members

A whole lotta doubt going on in here about the potential (but probable) Lynch/Ronda/Charlotte triple threat.

Yes, we would all prefer to see a straight up Lynch vs Ronda match. Charlotte's involvement does seem forced but as long as they make it work, it shouldn't hinder the actual match quality on the day. 

After all, WrestleMania has a very rich history of consistently putting on high quality triple threat matches. Here, take a look for yourself! Here is every single triple threat (or 3-Way Dance, if you're a connoisseur) that's taken place at the Grand Daddy Of Them All;

WM15 - Hardcore Championship - Hardcore Holly vs Al Snow vs Billy Gunn
WM 2000 - Tag Championship - Edge and Christian vs The Dudley Boyz vs The Hardy Boyz 
WM 2000 - IC/Euro Championshp - Chris Benoit vs Chris Jericho vs Kurt Angle
WM 17 - Hardcore Championship - Kane VS Raven vs Big Show
WM 17 - Tag Championship - Edge and Christian vs The Dudley Boyz vs The Hardy Boyz 
WM 18 - Womens Championship - Jazz VS Lita vs Trish Stratus 
WM 19 - Womens Championship - Trish Stratus vs Victoria vs Jazz
WM 19 - Tag Championship - Team Angle vs Chris Benoit and Rhyno vs Los Guerreros 
WM 20 - World Championship - Chris Benoit vs Triple H vs Shawn Michaels
WM 22 - World Championship - Rey Mysterio vs Randy Orton vs Kurt Angle
WM 24 - WWE Championship - Randy Orton vs John Cena vs Triple H
WM 25 - World Championship - John Cena vs Big Show vs Edge
WM 26 - Randy Orton VS Cody Rhodes VS Ted DiBiase
wm 30 - WWE World Championship - Daniel Bryan vs Batista vs Randy Orton 
WM 32 - Womens Championship - Charlotte vs Becky Lynch vs Sasha Banks 
WM 34 - IC Championship - Seth Rollins vs The Miz vs Finn Bálor
WM 34 - Tag Championship - The Bludgeon Brothers vs The Usos vs The New Day

That's a very fine lineage for those ladies to join! Apart from a few exceptions, all of these range from fun to good to great to absolutely smashing. Also, adding to the premium tree, all but one of these is a championship bout. How many other match types have these kinds of accolades at WrestleMania? It's a mighty good tradition to keep alive and I'm sure the ladies will do their best to honour the greats that have came before them.

As an aside, I have not taken into the account the Rollins cash-in at WrestleMania 31. Even if I did, it would only add one more fantastic layer to the timeline.

• Paid Members

I'd argue that only the WM XX was a main event worthy triple threat that actually made sense to be a triple threat.

All the others are either mid cards.. or should have been a 1 on 1 but they shoe horned in a 3rd without any real planning (e.g. WM XXX)

7 hours ago, Murtz said:

I'd argue that only the WM XX was a main event worthy triple threat that actually made sense to be a triple threat.

Maybe in retrospect. But at the time? This was clearly Triple H politicking to get his mate in the main event again, after we’d already seen him do similar things in the previous year. For all intents and purposes, Shawn Michaels didn’t belong in the match. He was surely there to take a pin so Triple H wouldn’t have to, or to win so the fans wouldn’t be upset about Benoit losing. Either way, the focus was definitely going to be pulled from the Rumble winner on to HBK vs. HHH.

Of course, they pulled a massive swerve on that and the match was improved for it, but actually I recall reactions in the lead up being not dissimilar to current feelings about Charlotte/Becky/Ronda. 

Archived