Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members

Innit. Absolutely gorgeous.

Coincidentally, during the Rumble I was wondering whether or not they'd ever give Bryan a proper vegan belt, or they were sticking with the leather one because it's a nice out for the babyface to point out what a goon Bryan is, but here they are delivering to us that bit of brilliance.

New Daniel Bryan is fantastic. I remember people on here were losing their head a bit when they turned him, but he's now the best act on the show. Such a brilliantly on-point character for the times. He's the Veganmania thread come to life, so bloody boo. No idea if it's due to Bryan or Vince being right into the character, but they've done so much good work that they don't normally do to flesh out a character. The exciting thing about New Daniel Bryan is they can take it in so many directions and, going by the past few weeks, they're willing to put the extra work in to explore them.

Reckon someone had to explain to Vince what a vegan title belt would consist of?

Have to echo the sentiment about the New Daniel Bryan. Great character and you can tell he loves performing it too.
Corey's 'I've just had a text from Mandy Rose with a crying face emoji' stuff was quite funny I thought.

Easily watchable episode this week. 

• Paid Members

Fingers crossed we're getting a ladder match for the WWE championship, with both belts hanging above the ring. Hopefully at 'Mania, as it's been a while since we've had a 1-on-1 ladder match at the Grand Daddy Of Them All. The last one was Michaels/Razor, wasn't it?

Bryan vs Ali in a ladder match, Trips. Push that to Vince whilst he's downing a steak wrap. 

Edited by Accident Prone

• Awards Moderator

Belter of a show. Flew by. Smackdown of the last few months has got me back to watching the full show and not a few clips on YouTube over breakfast. So much good about this week.

If the Charlotte thing is a mini-feud to pave the way to keep it from being a triple threat at Mania, I’m for it. That dig from Becky was perfect. 

The new belt segment? Great. Just great. Bryan is incredible at everything he’s given and he’s taken it up a notch with the lastest thing.

Even K-Kwik winning something more than a dance-off was a welcome surprise. Not fully on board with the Rusev turn, but I’m assuming it was their way of killing the support for him. He’s done. Love him, but it’ll never happen.

But one of the best parts was Joe rinsing everyone as he sauntered down to the ring. Had Hardy off like a kipper. Him and Bryan is the match I’d go for at Mania. Not to turn him face, just have them kick the fuck out of each other. Set fire to the new belt, come out in leather jackets; anything. It’d be ace.

Bryan's current run reminds me of the quote "a wrestler is at their best when the character they're portraying is just their natural personality, ramped up to 100". You can tell he's loving it, and you can tell it matches his personality down to the ground.

It's been a brilliant gimmick change. He was always far, far too talented not to make whichever scenario they threw at him work. The Chamber announcement was great as well, it's really refreshing to be at this stage of the year and the big Wrestlemania matches not being blindingly obvious. Although I can't see Ali or Hardy winning, any four of Bryan/AJ/Joe/Orton I could reasonably see winning, which makes such a nice change compared to the narrative of past years being "ROMAN HEADLINES FOR THE BELT".

Edited by AdamTH17

ISmackdown was insane.

But I love it all. Bryan, Charlotte and Becky Lynch are probably the most compelling main event characters in a couple of decades for me. The knee brace is such a simple small detail but it's one of the best things about this angle. Long term selling feels like a rarity, and it makes you forget that she tapped out and Charlotte Flaired her way into the royal rumble. Now she's the hero that overcome the odds on one good leg. Jab! Becky is the coolest babyface in God knows how long. Charlotte's got that emotionally charged energy that her dad had during his unhinged Nitro days. I don't get how people don't rate her as a promo, she was pulling all the best Stephanie McMahon moves here.

Truth wins the U.S. belt with a classic WCW finish! I've gotta say I'm quite happy to see an R Truth title run. He's been around forever, he's still over enough to get smarks booing Rusev (who is a heel this week) and he can make any old shit entertaining. The constant heel/face flipping on these shows is doing my nut in though. The fifty shades bullshit so you can flip guys alignment when it's convenient. No angle or explanation.  Rusev, Nak and Lana sounds like a fun act though, gives the division a fresh heel team. Heavy Machinery are looking like an enjoyable addition too. Holy shit, give me more Otis vs Big E!

Was I the only one feeling tense watching that Shane and Miz segment? I was convinced Shane was gonna lamp the old man and turn heel there. Miz looked apprehensive too. This show felt nutty enough for it to happen.

The end was amazing. Joe does it again. Honestly give this guy a world tile run before its too late, he's still fucking a cut above. Looked like they got short on time and had to cut off but I dug the feel of spontaneity, with Bryan going into his promo early while people were hitting their finishers. The new belt looks absolutely gorgeous. 

• Paid Members

The moment he started alluding to it, I hoped and prayed they'd actually make Bryan his vegan championship belt. Never could I have imagined it'd be so beautiful though. Hopefully they went to the effort of making it becuase Bryan is pencilled in for a long run. In his current form, I'd make him champion for at least three to four years.

Becky's suckpunch was spectacular. It's almost a shame they had the subsequent brawl because it would've been even better if she just got in her car and drove off straight afterwards.

Samoa Joe RINSING everyone in his promo was incredible. Has a man ever proven himself more? He's utterly brilliant. Turn him face and put him with Bryan ASAP.

As always, you'd never believe the same company produces Raw and Smackdown. The difference in quality is unbelievable.

Edited by Supremo

Smackdown is a superb production at the moment. I've seldom enjoyed a character as much as I am enjoying The New Vegan Daniel Bryan. The new title belt is one of the best things they've done in years and his mic work is second to none. He is so great at chewing the scenery that he quashed (with ease) the rising chants of an arsehole crowd trying to get themselves over during his promo. Samoa Joe is incredible as well.

I am saddened by how much of a jobber Nakamura is nowadays. I hate his new music and any intrigue or aura he once had is well and truly snuffed out. I wonder if he is partly to blame, as I'm now believing the chat that he views WWE as a skive and that he can get away with doing minimal work.