Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/18/2019 at 5:09 PM, PunkStep said:

Mysterio VS Andrade was incredible. Rey Rey really is a freak of nature isn't he? For years in WWE he was a bit of an immobile bloated mess (but became a better babyface around this time), yet he seems to have turned back the clock 15 years. I haven't seen him look this good since his early WWE days. He looks cooler than ever too.

I read somewhere that he was getting stem cell injections in his knees to help with mobility and stuff, no idea how true that is. Would be more believable than time travel, considering the Rey Mysterio we have now is from 1996........

• Paid Members

You would never ever believe that this Rey Mysterio is the same guy from a few years ago, bloated as fuck and shuffling around with two knee braces. That top-rope sitdown Powerbomb was one of the coolest things I've ever seen.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:30 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Oh they haven't have they?
Eurgh - why do they insist on doing this?

I wish they’d at least acknowledge the change rather than just do it. A simple ‘he wants to be known as Andrade from now on’ from a commentator would be enough.

Anyway, another superb Smackdown for me, and I’ll echo what others are saying about Rey, he’s incredible.

Has he ever faced Daniel Bryan before? I’m sure we’ll get that match in some form soon, but as each week goes by I’m feeling more and more like I want to see it.

• Paid Members

Can't remember the last time I bothered with Smackers, but it's very clear the difference that extra hour makes. What stands out most is they don't get lazy and feel the need to stretch a 10-minute segment to 25 minutes, ditto with matches. Contrast that Vince/Bryan/AJ segment to the opener on Raw, it's startling the quality difference. Typing of, New Daniel Bryan is excellent and that Babyboomer promo was pure. Unlike Monday, where he looked and sounded disinterested, Vince seemed right into it too with all the facial selling he was doing - that or he was genuinely baffled by what Bryan was on about. Either way that was some top work from Vince.

To repeat others, it's remarkable the difference in Rey. Like he somehow has managed to reversed time after looking knackered for so long.

Woke Daniel Bryan is the star of the show and is such a brilliant, nuanced character and very 2019. Like all great heels, his Babyboomer speech was filled with on-point criticisms, but nonetheless "BOOOOO!".

• Paid Members

Astonished that Rey Mysterio is 44 years old, and yet he's better than he has been in 10 years. Playing a blinder he is. I'd love Mysterio to get the shot at Bryan at 'Mania. It's possible too, as I don't know who else it'll be if it's somebody from Smackdown. 

If Bryan is champ, you have Orton, Mysterio, and Styles as your options. The Styles feud will be over by then. Out of Bryan Vs Orton and Bryan Vs Mysterio, the latter feels much fresher and more interesting. 

I suppose the rest gave Rey's body a chance to recover from the years of working a full WWE schedule, amazing the difference it has made. Fair play to him for returning motivated too, he could have easily gotten away with half arsing things and still be great compared to most of the roster.

Echo the love for Bryan , really helps the character that you know he believes all the stuff he's saying, to some extent. He's the most relevant, modern sounding character in WWE by a mile too, which is amazing compared to supposedly 'cooler' dullards like Balor, Rollins, Ambrose etc.

• Paid Members

When I've been knocking up my Mania card I forget Rey will definitely merit a decent match. My Balor v Styles cross brand perverts dream match is a bit of a shot in the dark but it wouldn't shock me if they give Styles to Rey. Or if Bryan v Joe isnt the direction, keeping Joe 100% clearcut heel and having him antagonize Rey on the way to a Mania match sounds pretty good to me.

Archived