Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

As good as Smackdown is those same WWE quirks still bug me. AJ got destroyed last week, why the fuck is he not after Bryan’s blood? They didn’t even need to get physical, just have him run Bryan off instead of letting him give Ali the same post match beating he gave him last week. 

To be fair, they did address this. They did a backstage interview with AJ where he said he wasn't going after Bryan until TLC because he knew if he got his hands on him, Bryan wouldn't make the TLC PPV. It might not be a brilliant answer, but at least it was one, which is more than what they usually do.

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Why the hell has The Man not been on colour commentary? I think they could have done more to roll with Becky since her return, maybe it's the fanboy in me . Credit to Charlotte though, she’s outshined her three weeks running.

If she still hasn't been cleared from a concussion, they won't feature her on TV at all. Unless their regulations have changed, they generally won't put a wrestler in any performance role until they can pass a certain level of concussion testing. 

Either that, or they want her return to be somewhat impactful, rather than have her there every week.

Edited by BomberPat

On 12/13/2018 at 9:42 AM, BomberPat said:

If she still hasn't been cleared from a concussion, they won't feature her on TV at all. Unless their regulations have changed, they generally won't put a wrestler in any performance role until they can pass a certain level of concussion testing. 

Either that, or they want her return to be somewhat impactful, rather than have her there every week.

She was there, and she was involved in the action, she just didn't get given a headset.  So she's obviously cleared.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Shy Dad said:

And thats how you make a new star.

Let's not speak too soon:

Fatality! Bloody hell. Of all the heads to accidentally land that knee on, there's none worse than the current WWE champion, with a long history of concussion issues.

Whilst I'm still not down with, "fresh," and, "new," being code for the McMahon family belittling and emasculating everyone, this was way better than last night's effort. Probably because Smackdown was never really suffering from all the problems Raw had anyway. Smackdown was already a good show and now it's just slightly better.

I'm ALL IN on them fleshing out Rusev's character by showing Total Diva clips. He's absolutely brilliant on that show and he's got the chops to be a fantastic goofy babyface. I'd honestly build towards him eventually winning the WWE Title sometime next year. He's the BEST.

I've no idea where Paige fits in as a non-wrestler if it's not as GM. Hopefully not on commentary because her voice is painful to listen to.

They're going to turn Miz babyface for a Wrestlemania match with Shane, aren't they? I think there's legs in that. It feels time to explore Miz's popularity.

I'm a big fan of 205 Live guys moving in and out. There's no reason why guys can't move up into other divisions similar to the UFC or New Japan. That they gave Ali the win suggests they might actually do it properly rather than just having them get smashed by Scott Steiner or whatever. Good main event. All four guys worked really well together.

Happy to see Sanity back. Always felt like they were a missed opportunity. They had some killer matches in NXT and were a genuinely fun act at one point. Even the Good Brothers, for as much as they're the Tensai of Tag Teams, it was still nice to have some fresh faces in the division.

Nice lineup for next week's show. Far more interesting than what Raw advertised.

Highlight of the whole show though? Big E chomping on some chicken, giving Daniel Bryan the eye. Magic.

image.png.addf20b96b741fb2898b4dc8cb785757.png

Thumbs up.

Edited by Supremo

Ugh fuck off Vince. Paige on commentary sounds like an awful idea so it'll definitely happen. Shame, she was the best GM they've ever had. She had the bite to be taken seriously, yet she never went out to put herself over or talk down to the roster. The McMahon's fucking drain everyones star power. 

Naomi needs to find another tag partner, she's terrible . I don't know if it was a off night for her or what but she looked like backyarder. SELL THE HOLDS WOMAN.

Show was good though, the 'shake up' wasn't just hot air. I'm not convinced with Sanity yet, they need to find away to make them actually feel chaotic, the wacky camera zoom ain't cutting it. Hopefully they keep Nikki Cross separate cos she's rad and has some upside. 

Love what I've seen of Ali so far. You just know it was Bryan's call to put him over, fair dos to him. He's invincible at this point anyway. Good gosh that looked nasty! Hope he's all good.

Another poor Smackdown crowd though, get that canned heat ready for next week.

• Paid Members

It's probably a bit late to do it this year now that we're transitioning into Wrestlemania season but watchin Ali last night made me hope for an eventual 205 Live invasion angle on Smackdown. Maybe aound May or June of next year. Bring all those ultra-talented guys in for a few months, do loads of fun matches and try and portray them as being on equal pegging.

Daniel Bryan vs. Buddy Murphy, Champion vs. Champion. Fuck yeah.

• Paid Members

Paige wilfully accepting her demotion as GM was totally perplexing. Purely looking at from a kayfabe perspective, she ran a better show than Raw. They constantly bleat on about competition between the brands you're going to demote the GM that has been doing the best job. Ignoring kayfabe, she fit the role extremely well so it's a shame they've effectively scrapped that. Obviously we'll wait and see what comes of it but that felt like the most perplexing change to me. 

The fans making signs mocking Bryan is brilliant on two fronts - 1) They're showing a willingness to get involved and buy into the heel turn even if secretly we all love a bit of D-Bry, and 2) It just gives him even more ammunition to berate the audience, because he believes in everything he's saying and he can also justify it, which makes him even more dislikable in many respects. 

Ali's arrival on Smackdown opens up an interesting pathway for the 205 Live roster. If Ali becomes a success in his new surroundings then in turn it opens up more possibilities for current 205 talent giving them something to realistically aim for as opposed to just constantly spinning their wheels on that show. 

3 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Paige wilfully accepting her demotion as GM was totally perplexing. Purely looking at from a kayfabe perspective, she ran a better show than Raw. They constantly bleat on about competition between the brands you're going to demote the GM that has been doing the best job. 

If we're assessing her on kayfabe terms, surely SD getting whitewashed at Survivor Series implies she wasn't doing a good job? 

12 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Ugh fuck off Vince. Paige on commentary sounds like an awful idea so it'll definitely happen. Shame, she was the best GM they've ever had. She had the bite to be taken seriously, yet she never went out to put herself over or talk down to the roster. The McMahon's fucking drain everyones star power. 

Naomi needs to find another tag partner, she's terrible . I don't know if it was a off night for her or what but she looked like backyarder. SELL THE HOLDS WOMAN.

Show was good though, the 'shake up' wasn't just hot air. I'm not convinced with Sanity yet, they need to find away to make them actually feel chaotic, the wacky camera zoom ain't cutting it. Hopefully they keep Nikki Cross separate cos she's rad and has some upside. 

Love what I've seen of Ali so far. You just know it was Bryan's call to put him over, fair dos to him. He's invincible at this point anyway. Good gosh that looked nasty! Hope he's all good.

Another poor Smackdown crowd though, get that canned heat ready for next week.

What an odd thing to say. She wasn't even as good as the GM before her, let alone ever. 

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Grecian said:

If we're assessing her on kayfabe terms, surely SD getting whitewashed at Survivor Series implies she wasn't doing a good job? 

Yes but this is WWE kayfabe, and I have skilfully avoided such canon and logic in order to make my point. 😉

14 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

What an odd thing to say. She wasn't even as good as the GM before her, let alone ever. 

Who Shane? He always looks like  he’s about to drop dead with a heart attack after he does he mid life crisis money shuffle. Thing is Shane seems like a cool guy in real life but it rarely comes through. Paige didn’t overshadow the workers or insert herself into matches.