Smackdown Discussion Thread

Great show this week, the two hour time frame really helps Smackdown flow when it's on form where as even when Raw is great there's always a fair bit of fast forwarding to cut out filler.

Did Michael Cole half heartedly mention that Show's iron clad contract wasn't really iron clad?

Really felt like Smackdown back when we all still liked wrestling. CM Punk wasn't there, but it still felt like a proper show, not just a bunch of filler stuff in between Raw recaps.

Spot on. Daniel Bryan and Randy Orton being the companies top stars appearing on Smackdown has really helped the show recently and I'm back watching it regularly for the first time since 2010. For so long, I didn't mind that The Rock (bar one appearance in Miami) and Brock Lesnar wouldn't be showing up on Smackdown in a hurry due to the nature of their roles but the fact that John Cena was never there just made Smackdown seem so unimportant. Bryan, Orton and Triple H being the focus of Raw and now Smackdown has improved the perception of the show tenfold.

Hopefully the ratings begin to pick up a little and WWE carry on the trend of Smackdown being a good watch (even if it is somewhat inconsequential) and Punk and a returning Cena show up.

Edited by thesimonbegz

• Paid Members

I said it last week but I'll say it again, for all those people that don't normally bother to watch SmackDown- you're missing out! It's great that the big storylines aren't exclusive to Raw now, SmackDown was great this week. The TV at the moment has that Attitude Era feel to it, not only because of the recycling of popular angles of the time, but the fact that those angles are continuing from Monday night to SmackDown and all the top stars on both shows.

The two hours just seem to fly by too. I think I have finally become conditioned to the three hour Raw shows now as by the time the main event of Smackdown came round I was wondering why there had been no Real Americans, Prime time players or Fandango yet.

I agree with everyone, that it was a very good Smackdown this week. I like that they are carrying over main storylines from Raw and so makes people want to watch it rather than skipping it. I think they are making Smackdown stronger as the deal with Syfy is coming to an end and they want to get a new deal.

Everyone seems to be benefitting from this Triple H dictatorship storyline. I like they are booking Dolph in these handicap matches as he can make the shield and himself look better with his bumps. I believe he is better as a sympathetic face as his match with Del Rio at Payback proved. Also Big Show suits his role as well but I still want an explanation about his iron clad contract.

I am looking forward to when the faces all step up against Triple H's corporation. It will be television gold.

Im probably being devils advocate here, but they never give me a reason to tune into Smackdown, I know they show the occasional highlight or whatever but they should try and hype it up a bit more on Raw. I never feel like Im missing anything, even though most of the time I'd just watch it but in the last few months I've fallen out of habit missing it and only watching occasional bits. I doesnt help that two guys would have a match on Smackdown, then they'd just repeat the match again the next Raw which is pretty lazy.

Anyway, argh I'll just watch it again and stop being a berk.

Well I enjoyed it. Highlights were Ryback referring to himself in the third person as 'The Big Guy,' the goofy self satisfied look on his face when he was coming down to the ring, Triple 'Aitch being brilliant and also continuing to pat Orton on the belly like the prize stud he is and a nifty little Natural Disasters vs LOD match. That Diva shit can get fucked though.

• Awards Moderator

Watched SmackDown this week for the first time in an age (because it was on Sky One, basically), and it was great! I remembered how much a fan I am of Big Show and Edge (is his DVD set any good, by the way?) and really enjoyed RVD as well. I thought TNA had ruined him forever for me, but he seems to just fit in perfectly in WWE, it was like he'd never been gone.

The show long storyline thing going on at the moment is just brilliant, as is the way it's encompassing more than just Bryan and Orton - you've got Show, Cody, the Shield... It just ties everything together and gives the show a bigger sense of purpose than it's had since.... Well, since I last watched it regularly I suppose.

I also enjoyed the dance off segment with its brief Awesome Truth reunion, and seeing Santino again!

I'm not particularly fussed about watching Night Of Champions, but I do want to watch the TV next week to see where the main story goes next. Maybe it's because I only catch a couple of episodes of TV every few months, but it's seeming pretty good at the moment!

Edit: forgot to mention, I enjoyed seeing Boss Man on the vault segment too!

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
I remembered how much a fan I am of Big Show and Edge (is his DVD set any good, by the way?)

"You Think You Know Me" is excellent for the interview, firstly because Edge is likeable and open, secondly because the talking heads are relevant and interesting - Lita, Matt Hardy and Rhino all make appearances.

I fucking hate Santino and his shitty walk.

Michael Cole said what I think on a regular basis as JBL was acting a right tit during Truth's entrance "John shut up" to be honest I would be fine with JBL if his entire routine wasn't just shouting over the rest of the commentary team all the fucking time.

The dance off was harmless fun and Truth looked happy to just be their not staring at the ceiling for a change.

Summer is by far the best thing about Fandango's act.

Big Show vs Shield was even better than last the time. Such a desperate scramble.

Ryback is wrestling heaven at the moment (and a concert pianist). He should slap the shit out of Chikara goons for a bit longer then win the world title, then win . . the world. A feud with Sami Zayn wouldn't be bad either.

I hated them tossing off Ricardo vs ADR like it was nothing. The Ricardo/Del Rio relationship goes back, what, three years? It's not like there's any other Del Rio match that anybody could give a fuck about. Keep these apart until the time's right, hype it and give it some purpose that isn't all RVD.

AJ vs JBL round2! I think AJ came out victorious tonight. The divas feud is silly shite and won't have any decent payoff cos she crushes the entire division like a grape but I did love the line, "Every time you talk to me you think things are about jealousy or boys or make up or . . kittens! ".

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

Natalya was so bad on commentary. She's meant to be the babyface but she just comes off as an entitled smug prick. And I think my talking Hasbro Hulk Hogan had more lines than her. You pull her string and she just says "AJ's a titleholder, I was born a champion." That's boring after the tenth time, Nattie.

Kofi had a good little showing in the gauntlet match.

• Paid Members

When was the last time Smackdown has been so watchable? Has to be going back to the Jeff Hardy/Punk days surely? I know its a pretty soulless ask, but when Cena comes back he should start doing the Smackdown tapings as well. Smackdown just has such a bigger feel to it when all of the Raw regulars are on it. The storylines stick over at a nicer pace. I used to love watching Raw and when something happened at the end go "cant wait to see what the fall out is on Smackdown" instead of waiting the full week to watch Raw. Now the brand extension is done, everyone should be doing Smackdown.

I'm big on show long storylines, so I'm really enjoying the HHH regime on Raw and Smackdown.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay