Smackdown Discussion Thread

The ring bell is gunning for Hall Of Fame at this point. It's fine if SmackDown is to be produced and conceived as some meaningless Raw hangover watched by kids and adults who really do watch too much wrestling but for Raw the show really needs more variety and story driven pacing. Not in some 1999 car crash way but you know ... just in some way.

It does need it (in terms of my viewing pleasure, at least), but I don't think it's going to happen, at least not until the new TV deals are done. WWE's going out of its way to convince networks that it's really sporty, like sports that people watch live instead of taping and fast-forwarding the ads like they do with Homeland. After years of being promoted as a scripted, action-adventure, episodic drama/soap opera for men, wrestling is trying to pass itself of as being like football now because that's where the money is.

It was a quality match between Cena and Rollins. It was a perfect example of how someone can be made stronger even by losing. He was booked as an equal to Cena until the end when the chaos ensued. This is an example of why I keep watching Smackdown because you can get a gem of a match like this one.

Going back to Seth Rollins. After The Shield ends, I think he will be in a similar role to the early days of Punk and Bryan. He will have quality matches without getting too much of a push. However as we know cream always rises to the top, like Punk and Bryan did.

Punk went from May 2010 - June 2011 without getting a single victory on pay per view, effectively losing every feud he was involved in one of which being a feud where he had two lackeys on his side against Big Show.

After Bryan's solid start in WWE with solid NXT bouts and a great feud with The Miz, he then lost his US title to Sheamus in the run up to Wrestlemania 27 and would lose on almost weekly basis on TV and rarely even appear on pay per view outside of his surprising MITB victory up until he cashed in during the December pay per view against Big Show.

The pair have a whole bunch of title reigns under their belts at the the top of the card, mid-card and in the tag ranks but they both had prolonged periods of being featured in what can only really be considered 'good hand' roles. Seth Rollins has all the talent in the world to be considered a reliable hand deserving to be in the ring with the best talent every week which can also be the very reason he may not be elevated as 'the guy' as Roman Reigns is tipped to be. Unless there are solid plans for Rollins it is completely believable that he would fill this role, but as with the case with Punk and Bryan he may prove himself to be worth more.

Anyway, cracking episode of Smackdown. Big E is becoming more of a force to be reckoned with every time I watch him.

Edited by Sexy Dad

• Moderators
Punk went from May 2010 - June 2011 without getting a single victory on pay per view, effectively losing every feud he was involved in one of which being a feud where he had two lackeys on his side against Big Show.

And was one of the most heavily featured acts on Television at the time hovering around the main event and was even featured as Raw's colour man when he was injured keeping him exposed as a major part of the show. He's always done well for himself. He should have lost that feud against Show as well. Show was the babyface overcoming numbers and the odds. Basic wrestling story.

Edited by PowerButchi

Ambrose was unreal on commentary last night. I don't really watch Smackdown on a regular basis, and haven't seen Raw since before December but I hear this isn't the first time he has featured on commentary. His intonation, pace and all he had to say was just perfect. The Be A Star quip to Cole was priceless. I really hope he is utilised properly after the inevitable Shield breakup. I'd hate to fast forward 18 months to find him standing atop a lectern delivering bad news...

Edited by FalconHoof

I'm only 2/3 of the way through SmackDown and will probably watch the rest later. I've really enjoyed what I've seen so far. Just a really enjoyable episode, especially the opener of the Wyatts Vs The Usos. The Usos continue to impress me on a regular basis, I could imagine with Rikishi being around these days it is improving there position within the company. The 8 Man tag was also fun. I'd like to see some sort of faction put together with Swagger, Ryback, Cesaro, Axel and Zeb. Heyman's promo was top notch swaying the crowd to think Lesnar was going to come out but to then disappoint. I'm really looking forward to the Big Show Vs Brock Lesnar at the Rumble and loved there feud back in 2002-2003.

The Main Event this week looks like a must watch CM Punk, Road Dogg & Billy Gunn Vs The Shield. Should be a good un!