Smackdown Discussion Thread

I . . . HATE . . .BULLIES! Only an amazing man like Ryback would chant that along to the three count. Along with Ambrose's "baaaaad part of town", there was some good verbals going on.

Natalya is indeed awful. Absolutely clueless.

Dolph seems to be getting a bit better at babyface. The gauntlet was a fun, original idea. I loved HHH conveniently throwing the match out just as the Shield were on the ropes. The main was quite great. The Uso's are such a likeable team, nice touch them getting in a twin superkick from the outside to set up the finish.

Wonder what the Orton/Bryan stip will be for Battleground?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Natalya was so bad on commentary. She's meant to be the babyface but she just comes off as an entitled smug prick. And I think my talking Hasbro Hulk Hogan had more lines than her. You pull her string and she just says "AJ's a titleholder, I was born a champion." That's boring after the tenth time, Nattie.

Agree completely. Was utterly atrocious.

Saying the same thing over and over again is bad enough. When it wasn't that interesting in the first place it's even worse.

Overall the show was good though. I thought the Gauntlet was done superbly from how it worked, to little flurries from Kingston and Ziggler, to RVD having it won, to then Triple H interrupting when it looked like RVD was gonna win. Really enjoyed it.

Considering how hammy Heyman's being with Ryback, part of me is wondering whether Axel/Heyman are ultimately going to turn on Ryback and he'll turn face and they'll feud for the IC title.

Also, its worth adding here that Ryback is fucking amazing at the minute. He may not be the best 'worker' in the world (though, to me, what that means is more varied then people, including Triple H, would have you believe), but he always gets his character inside out. He makes everything really identifiable, and you're never confused as to his motives or intentions. Little things like shouting 'I. HATE. BULLIES.' along with the ref is great, but he always tweaks his offence and in-ring mannerisms to suit his current persona. I loved his cocky 'this is too easy, Paul' line.

So, yeah, he's ace.

Ryback's line about the jobber refusing the autograph and then later intimidating the kid in the parking lot seemed to get no reaction from the crowd, but it got a massive belly laugh out of me. Honestly, one of the funniest lines I've heard in WWE in years. Fucking brilliant. I'm not sure Ryback even gets the humour, but his delivery is A1. Love it.

A weaker episode of Smackdown compared to the others. The one thing that really bothered me was the Santino vs Heath Slater match. I hate it when they portray the cobra as a REAL cobra. Absolutely stupid.

However, I do like how they are building the badass Orton again. I will be looking forward to the Battleground match against Daniel Bryan.

A weaker episode of Smackdown compared to the others. The one thing that really bothered me was the Santino vs Heath Slater match. I hate it when they portray the cobra as a REAL cobra. Absolutely stupid.

However, I do like how they are building the badass Orton again. I will be looking forward to the Battleground match against Daniel Bryan.

The fans were pretty loudly booing the Santino match at times when the cobra thing was going on.

Crappy end to the US title match too. But man, can Dolph sell Reigns' spear. That was excellent.

Hah. I have to admit I properly laughed when Jinder tried to charm the Cobra. It's not the kind of thing I want to see all the time, but I like when they occasionally do something completely mental to spice up a garbage, filler match. Surely it's the most memorable thing anyone could hope for from a Khali/Santino and 3MB match?

• 3 weeks later...

Raw's gone to shit in my eyes and they've pretty much killed most of their babyfaces . . but I enjoyed Smackdown this week for some reason. It's probably the warm fuzz of a mild hangover that had something to do with it when I watched it this morning. It helps that the HHH/Bryan shite was done with in the first segment.

The Wyatt boys have looked decent enough recently. Harper has anyway, throwing some nice bombs and that. The double Uso's superkick was a thing of beauty.

Los Matadores are terrible but Zeb vs El Torito is the best feud in WWE at the moment. Zeb's been gold lately, proper cheeseball goof and I love it. Cesaro in a cape is more manly than ten million cocks.

I miss Bully Ryback. Now it's just more Heyman talking. Heyman's gone from brilliant to badly overexposed to flat out embarrassing or boring. I loved the CM Skunk thing though and it gave Ryback a chance to look a monster again.

Del Rio's quite frustrating to me. There's elements to his character that I like and he can be a horrible viscous prick in the ring but there's something really cookie-cutter about his promo delivery and the way he carries himself in ring. Putting the shit title on Cena would be a good move to elevate it although the match-up doesn't excite me. Didn't this schmuck get pinned by his manager the other week? Why hasn't Ricardo demanded a title shot yet?

Nothing says 'skip the stream forward' like Fandango's music these days, which is a shame. Least there looks to be a Natalya/Summer Rae feud starting out from this bit, which is something new.

It's great to see Big E seemingly getting a push. I want to see him squash a load of jobbers and get the 'five count' gimmick over before scoring the Int title. The main was decent although it was noticeable how quite the crowd was. The Shield have been dethroned after a long dominant run with the belts, it would have been nice to get their thoughts and reactions with a little promo or something. The Rhodes were out on their arse a little while back and now they're the top dogs. The only mic time they got was some crap match analyses on the desk at Raw where one of the commentators was doing his best to make the new champions look like muppets. It's the same segments with the same people yapping on about the same old things every week. Let other people talk and/or get heat sometimes. With the returning Cena and the current top dogs being HHH/Big Show, the WWE title match couldn't feel more like midcard filler.

I know that the Triple H promo seemed like the big talking point on raw. It overshadowed the TERRIBLE Cody and Goldust new entrance theme. It was Rated RKO level bad. Glad to see they didn't have it on Smackdown. Hopefully, it won't be coming back.

I was scratching my head as to why Bryan beat Orton clean on the go home show. But it was good to see Big E being pushed in the right way and acting as a face should. With the right booking the face turn could work.

Archived