Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, air_raid said:

When I've been knocking up my Mania card I forget Rey will definitely merit a decent match. My Balor v Styles cross brand perverts dream match is a bit of a shot in the dark but it wouldn't shock me if they give Styles to Rey. Or if Bryan v Joe isnt the direction, keeping Joe 100% clearcut heel and having him antagonize Rey on the way to a Mania match sounds pretty good to me.

Joe VS Rey could be incredible, that's the match I want now. Balor VS Styles, albeit with no build, was done on PPV a couple of years ago and it was good but not amazing. The face/face dynamic between the two will probably be shit.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
4 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

Can't remember the last time I bothered with Smackers, but it's very clear the difference that extra hour makes. What stands out most is they don't get lazy and feel the need to stretch a 10-minute segment to 25 minutes, ditto with matches.

The other big difference for me is that we don’t see everyone of significance every week, and perhaps more importantly don’t see everyone of significance have a match every week. Really helps avoid the ‘parade of matches’ feel Raw has, IMO.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Joe VS Rey could be incredible, that's the match I want now. Balor VS Styles, albeit with no build, was done on PPV a couple of years ago and it was good but not amazing. The face/face dynamic between the two will probably be shit.

I don't think its the match they should do but I think they're trying to appeal to that market and I expect one match on the show will stand out as "this one's for... those guys" like Nakamura v Styles last year.

Plus I've got nobody for Finn. Unless he loses to Drew even though Drew v Braun makes more sense. Or those daft Demon v Taker rumours come true this year.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Statto said:

The other big difference for me is that we don’t see everyone of significance every week, and perhaps more importantly don’t see everyone of significance have a match every week. Really helps avoid the ‘parade of matches’ feel Raw has, IMO.

On that, is Jeff Hardy injured or were they just not featuring him this week? If you do Rey v Joe (well up for it too), he'd maybe be a decent choice for a Mania run with Bryan. It won't take much to get the fans into him winning the title.

Is Orton a babyface again? Last time I remembering watching him he was torturing poor Jeff Hardy's lug, but there he was dropping Joe and playing to the crowd.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

On that, is Jeff Hardy injured or were they just not featuring him this week?

He was on house show over the weekend so yeah, just a little break from TV. He’ll be in the Rumble Sunday, I guess.

Bryan/Rey would be a great match, it just doesn't feel like a Wrestlemania main event to me.

I wonder if we could get a big multi man match for the WWE title this year? Bryan/Rey/Joe/AJ/Orton/Hardy six pack challenge and stick it in the middle somewhere so the the real main events with Brock & Ronda stand out more.

It will never happen at the moment but imagine a Velveteen Dream rumble win followed by a Bryan feud all the way to Mania and beyond? The character dynamic would be fantastic.

• Paid Members

That really is genius.

Opening Becky interview and Charlotte brawl was great too. They really have caught lightening in a bottle.

So Rusev is a heel as well as Elias? That's some reset. Truth as US Champ is an interesting development. I don't mind it. I've never really disliked Truth. He's just there sometimes but he's never been rubbish.

Andrade attacking Rey was good too. Smackers has a touch of wacky shit (Mandy Rose drama, Miz's Dad) but it's a small % of the show compared to Raw.

It's refreshing to see an act not trotting out to the ring decked out in their own merchandise.  Sunday Rowan was sporting a Tom Savini shirt and last night an Alestorm one.  It's a far more natural approach which I hope is a direction they continue in with the rest of the roster.

15 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

That belt is brilliant.

Should be a cracking EC match too, still no idea where they are going with the title match at Mania.

Looking at the folks involved in the match, I wouldn’t be against Orton v Styles at Wrestlemania, doesn’t have to be for the belt necessarily.

• Paid Members

Good episode this week as always. The new title was a touch of genius. 

Interesting to see quite a few AEW shirts facing the hard cam to say that the ‘machine’ is banning them and making people take them off. The berk stood up holding the shirt up to the camera for 90% of the show is probably reason enough to ban them. 

I couldn’t focus on anything other than Charlottes teeth in that opening segment. She’s like John Cleese in Rat Race. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Bohan said:

It's refreshing to see an act not trotting out to the ring decked out in their own merchandise.  Sunday Rowan was sporting a Tom Savini shirt and last night an Alestorm one.  It's a far more natural approach which I hope is a direction they continue in with the rest of the roster.

I noticed this in NXT in recent months - Dakota Kai has been on TV wearing Progress merch, Kassius Ohno in Minoru Suzuki T-shirts and shitty homemade Ohno shirts, and Shayna Baszler has shown up in a Bad Religion shirt before. It makes them feel so much more like real characters, and I'm glad to see that shift moving to the main roster too.

Archived