Smackdown Discussion Thread

6 hours ago, Loki said:

It's not the length of the matches that's the issue per se, it's how pointless or repetitive they generally are.  We almost never see an original matchup.

It's the pointlessness that's the issue, I think. 96% of Raw and SmackDown episodes in 1999 and 2000 featured some variation of The Rock vs Triple H as the main event. That's two years worth of TV, and them feuding never felt as dull and repetitive as week three of any feud between full-timers does now. But we're also nearly twenty years more jaded, so that plays a part.

The repetitive matches wouldn't be such a chore if they were shorter, mind.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is why i hate the brand split. I understand it but it means there are just gonna be the same match each week like shield members vs bar members or mcinytre and ziggler. At least like how it used to be you could you anyone face anyone even if it is a random pointless match it's something different.

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If they can tap into Big Dave's real-life persona for this final run, they'll be off to the races. Seems like such a sound bloke. Someone you'd love to be mates with. It's truly amazing how they got it so wrong last time.

Listening to his doc on the Network, he sounded proper gutted at the boos he got at the Rumble. I was a bit heartbroken for him.

I think it was a combination of bad timing and Dave not being in great shape last time he came back. It was obvious he was being brought back in to be the number 1 babyface ahead of Daniel Bryan when all the crowd wanted was Bryan as champion. Plus then when he did show up at the Rumble he was completely blown up after a few minutes. I think the goodwill he’s created in Hollywood since his last run would give him a better chance of getting cheered unanimously this time around. 

• Paid Members

Back then he was the 'big WWE machine' guy that the neckbeards hated, much like they hated Cena and Orton. Not being Daniel Bryan didn't help him that night, either.

Since then though, he's become a bit of a darling for them after turning out as Drax in a few Marvel films. The reception he received last week is evidence of this. If he has another run, he'll be over for sure.

11 hours ago, PunkStep said:

Back then he was the 'big WWE machine' guy that the neckbeards hated, much like they hated Cena and Orton. Not being Daniel Bryan didn't help him that night, either.

Since then though, he's become a bit of a darling for them after turning out as Drax in a few Marvel films. The reception he received last week is evidence of this. If he has another run, he'll be over for sure.

You sound like quite the expert on what those pesky neckbeards think.

Nobody wanted Batista to be the man to face Orton at WrestleMania XXX, even the fans who are clean shaven.

• Paid Members

I don't think you need to be an expert to hear the fans chant for Daniel Bryan and boo Batista's win out of the building at the Rumble. But you've pretty much agreed with be there anyway- nobody wanted him in the main event sure, but those that were most negatively vocal about him have done a 180 on him since his involvement with Marvel.

I don't think his involvement with Marvel has made or would make any difference. It still depends on the spot they would put him in, same as before.

In the middle of the WrestleMania card facing Triple H next year he would be massively cheered, but if they put him in the main event facing AJ Styles I think the reaction would be pretty negative. That was probably the case back in 2014 too: he would have been welcomed back by everybody if he had a pop at Triple H back then, but being put into that spot which everybody felt Daniel Bryan deserved is what made the fans turn on him.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, dopper said:

In the middle of the WrestleMania card facing Triple H next year he would be massively cheered, but if they put him in the main event facing AJ Styles I think the reaction would be pretty negative.

Nothing to do with neckbeards though, eh?

Archived