Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 hours ago, air_raid said:

Eh? I think it would be great fun and the crowd would react accordingly. Unless they've already sat through four of the scheduled 7 main events already.

That's exactly what I meant, it will go on near the end and nobody will care.

When Wrestlemania gets past half way thorough the show these days it becomes a right chore to watch, and judging by the last three shows the live crowd seems to think the same.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

That's exactly what I meant, it will go on near the end and nobody will care.

When Wrestlemania gets past half way thorough the show these days it becomes a right chore to watch, and judging by the last three shows the live crowd seems to think the same.

Gotcha. Yeah, "more is more" has ruined Mania for me. 2000/2001 they nailed 3.5ish as the sweet spot when everything was huge and over like fuck. Regressing to IV/V/VI "get everyone on" 14 match cards is a bad enough idea but they pump it so full of non matches too, it's impossible to digest.

1 minute ago, The British Bushwacker said:

Seeing Batista getting favourable reactions has made me curious to see Batista/Lesnar , to my knowledge they've not really done a program previously?

They were on opposite brands when both men were in WWE in their original run. I dont even think they have appeared on WWE tv together in any capacity at the same time.

4 minutes ago, MEGABUCKS said:

They were on opposite brands when both men were in WWE in their original run. I dont even think they have appeared on WWE tv together in any capacity at the same time.

Strangely, I think the only time they ever wrestled each other was in a run down warehouse in Indiana for OVW.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Gotcha. Yeah, "more is more" has ruined Mania for me. 2000/2001 they nailed 3.5ish as the sweet spot when everything was huge and over like fuck. Regressing to IV/V/VI "get everyone on" 14 match cards is a bad enough idea but they pump it so full of non matches too, it's impossible to digest.

It's not even a regression. If they just stuck most of the roster in 3 minute matches for the payday, it would still allow the big 3 or 4 matches on the card to stand out in front of a hot crowd rather than them dragging the arse out of it all for 17 hours.

Remember about 20 years ago when your Meltz, Keller, Fin Martin, etc would cry all the fucking time about how matches should be longer and as the internet grew, all the virgins (me included at one point) would cry about lack of wrestling on TV shows and "less talking, more wrestling". Fucking idiots. Everyone one of them.

• Paid Members

Remember when people would get their stopwatches out and actually calculate how much in-ring action there was on each episode of Raw, moaning there wasn’t enough? I wonder if anyone still does that and is really happy with all the long, drawn out, boring matches we have to endure.

11 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Remember when people would get their stopwatches out and actually calculate how much in-ring action there was on each episode of Raw, moaning there wasn’t enough? I wonder if anyone still does that and is really happy with all the long, drawn out, boring matches we have to endure.

Oh God Fin Martin did this ALL the time didn't he? I remember the "hilarious" RAW IS TALK shout from him.

• Paid Members

I've been thinking about similar issues for a couple of weeks since I started that thread about you producing Raw. A lot of the answers were for more vignettes, more character development, more stuff out of the ring, show long storylines. The funny thing is that Kevin Nash's vision that pretty much tanked WCW in 1999 was along those lines. Obviously there were massive flaws like the announcers not being clued in despite being the fucking conduit to the audience but Big Kev's big idea was to get everyone to the building early and produce a load of vignettes. Some were important to the storylines, if he had any, but others were just random stuff like this:

Nash also tried to introduce several show-long stories that would culminate in the main event segment.It was panned at the time and he was mocked for stuff like having only a few minutes of wrestling in a whole hour. On TV anyway, they did put dark matches on live while they ran allt heir pre-records.

It's funny that we're desperate for that sort of thing these days but it was more responsible than the fingerpoke of doom for killing WCW's business in 1999.

• Paid Members

It's finding the balance. Producing show long storylines that are mini-movies disconnected to what we know of the world pro wrestling takes place in, such as the nWo donning masks to bury Ric Flair in the desert like a gangland hit, are rightly panned as channel-changers. Conversely I've been watching a few Raws from 2000 and while the matches are short without proper finishes - because long matches with (mostly) proper finishes is why you buy the PPV - the pace that things keep moving and getting you on to what the next character's doing, most of which is leading somewhere, makes it feel like almost none of it is skippable, its all fun.

Filling three hours plus Fergie time might have stretched them though even with that roster. Your TV being longer than your PPV is madness.

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

It's not the length of the matches that's the issue per se, it's how pointless or repetitive they generally are.  We almost never see an original matchup.

Again, NXT has longer matches but they generally have a sports related purpose.  And they focus on different stars every few weeks to keep it fresh.

11 hours ago, MEGABUCKS said:

In the run up to WrestleMania 30, I’m thinking it was either just before the Rumble or just after, Batista, Brock and Orton shared the ring for a very brief tease. Remember it as, despite the Daniel Bryan story being the obvious thing for Mania and Orton/Batista not being, the combination of the three with Lesnar involved felt new, big time and certainly Mania worthy. I’d still probably be up for that. That OVW class!

Archived