Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
On 8/24/2018 at 1:36 PM, air_raid said:

In their heads they'd lose something. Charlotte has to overcome as many challenges as possible to make her look indomitable so they can forge ahead with the plan for Charlotte vs Ronda. Which for some reason needs to be babyface vs babyface, obviously, as Charlotte vs Asuka was. Which I think is cobblers, and part of the reason I wanted Asuka vs Alexa instead. Unless you're at the Hogan vs Warrior or Rock vs Austin level, the most engaging stuff the company puts out is where you know who you're supposed to support.

...... yup.

All the talk of Miz/Bryan for the belt at Mania could a better story be Orton vs Bryan for the belt? Orton takes the title from AJ at say Survivor Series. Bryan can win the Rumble and face Randy at Mania. Some of Orton’s best feuds/matches in recent years have been with Bryan and Bryan’s massive elevation to the top at Mania 30 followed months of a feud with Orton. Could definitely see it happening. I think Orton’s new gimmick of taking out the people the fan’s love the most would be perfect with Bryan too. 

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

All the talk of Miz/Bryan for the belt at Mania could a better story be Orton vs Bryan for the belt? Orton takes the title from AJ at say Survivor Series. Bryan can win the Rumble and face Randy at Mania. Some of Orton’s best feuds/matches in recent years have been with Bryan and Bryan’s massive elevation to the top at Mania 30 followed months of a feud with Orton. Could definitely see it happening. I think Orton’s new gimmick of taking out the people the fan’s love the most would be perfect with Bryan too. 

Really tenuous but IF they are persuading Shawn to come have a few more matches and IF the Shawn/Bryan match loads of us want is something they wanted to put on..... revisiting Bryan v Orton would give them chance to dredge up that HBK cost Bryan that Cell match with Orton during their feud, in the transition from Bryan v Orton to Bryan v Michaels.

Not that either program is likely or that they'd do that, Punk needed to remind them of his past with Orton in their 2011 run.

• Paid Members

Samoa Joe vs. Daniel Bryan should be the Title match at Wrestlemania. If used correctly (which I know is asking a lot of these writers, but still), there’s no greater heel vs. babyface dynamic they could do.

They need to bin off any idea of Charlotte vs. Ronda. Becky has already proven she’s infinitely more qualified than Charlotte for the Wrestlemania Main Event against Ronda. It’s not even close anymore.

I wouldn't mind seeing a babyface Samoa Joe Vs Randy Orton for the World Title at Mania, have Joe turn babyface and then go on to win the Rumble, Orton wins the title at the end of the year and keeps the title by cheap tactics and give him a few lower midcard guys in a stable to feed to Joe until they face each other. 

Maybe give Orton The Forgotton Sons stable (Gunner, Blake, Cutler) or The Mighty and give them the rub being with a rejuvenated Orton.

I know I'm investing the WWE decision makers with more credit than they deserve, but... If they DO want to do Charlotte v Ronda, they surely know they need a heel.  There's no way Ronda will ever be a heel, so that means Charlotte needs to go into Mania as a heel.

Given that.. isn't this all just a clever long-term heel turn?  If Charlotte has to cheat to get the title back from Becky, it'd be pretty cool to have her pretend to be all noble right up until the point she can't stand it any more and just lose it on Becky.  That'd cement Becky as their top face, and set up Flair/Rousey better.

--

Again, being the optimist, I think Joe will beat Styles with the muscle buster.  That's what they've been teasing for the last two matches, that AJ's wriggled out of it each time.  The muscle buster could be Joe's uber-finisher, established by taking out Styles.  Then as people have suggested, Joe v Bryan at WM.

Look, so far... so far these two storylines have been some of the best stuff they've done in ages.  Maybe they might actually do this right?

9 minutes ago, Loki said:

Look, so far... so far these two storylines have been some of the best stuff they've done in ages.  Maybe they might actually do this right?

I'm going to take a wild stab in the dark and say, they won't.

Ronda/Charlotte (as long as it's not a "respect" match) is still for me the biggest women's match they have for Mania next year, I just hope we get Ronda/Becky at Survivor Series before that whilst Becky is hot.

Joe/Bryan and Orton/AJ is the way I think I'd go at Mania, the first one being for the belt.

Edited by The King of Old School

• Paid Members

Going along with Loki's idea I was thinking to myself in some wanky fashion last night that they could try the Bret/Austin double turn with Charlotte/Becky at Evolution or whatever. 

Turn Charlotte super heel ready for Ronda and them polish up  Becky so the fans love her badassery even more so. 

Apologies. I know fantasy booking is fucking awful. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

I wasn't aware we haven't seen the muscle buster, that's pretty cool. I'm conditioned to think it will be an EPIC!! 2.9 count thing, we'll see. 

It's a shame Asuka's become filler (for now at least) I'd love to see her vs Rousey at some point, could be a classic match given a spot.

I'm enjoying Orton vs Hardy, must admit, It's ''the most sadistic Randy Orton we've ever seen" coupled with Jeff's promos, a whole different kind of nonsense to Matt's and it's ridiculous in a way only wrestling can be. It sounds bad but I'm kinda gutted we didn't get Hardy vs Hardy one last time on the big stage, in any form.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Did Jeff and Matt ever have any particularly good matches against each other? Never really seemed to work from what I recall.

I can't think of one. Even their Wrestlemania match was rubbish.

Did anyone ever book them in a ladder match against each other? Seems the natural match to put them in.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Did anyone ever book them in a ladder match against each other? Seems the natural match to put them in.

They used a ladder in their matches at Mania XV and Backlash (the I Quit match) anyway, you haven't missed much.

• Paid Members

Edge and Christian's breakup in 2001 and subsequent matches were pretty pants as well. They did have a ladder match (No Mercy?) but that didn't match up to anything they'd done in tags/TLCs previously. 

I think if you can still get some short bursts out of Jeff every now and then, great, definitely keep him around - he's one of the few babyfaces in the modern era that people are genuinely fond of and seem to genuinely like, plus he always brings that intangible element of the unpredictable. I'm indifferent when it comes to Matt - while the Woken/Broken stuff in WWE was never going to be as fun as the Impact stuff it was still entertaining, but it ran it's course and he's not been missed on TV at all. I'd be up for a return of the Matt Facts though - they didn't get nearly as much mileage as they should have out of those. 

• Paid Members

Matt strongly dislikes mustard.

2 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Edge and Christian's breakup in 2001 and subsequent matches were pretty pants as well. They did have a ladder match (No Mercy?) but that didn't match up to anything they'd done in tags/TLCs previously.

Is that because while everyone doesn't mention it because they like him as a personality, Christian wasn't very often good enough to carry his end in an engaging singles match? The only run of his I really liked was the Orton matches after he turned and the conniving bastard won himself a title by DQ at MITB11.