Jump to content
Ric Flair's Divorce Lawyer

Smackdown Discussion Thread

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

"Hey guys, we've got this great little 90 second babyface promo from Daniel Bryan, one of those things we used to do where he actually shows a bit of fire and sells you on seeing a match, shall we air it on television?"

"Fuck no. Put it on the internet."

I completely agree with this sentiment - and fuck me, that is an outstanding little promo - but will as many or more people see it this way? It's scary how often their content on the internet or on those after shows where the freedom is greater is so much better than the stuff they do on TV. I can't recall the last good promo on TV. But this and the Miz/Bryan stuff from Talking Smack comes instantly to mind.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree 100% this is the way to go for small bites of effective content. Put it on TV and the lapsed/half arsed fans who aren't watching the TV won't see it. Put stuff on the Internet where we do, and you might spark interest and get a few people watching again to see where it goes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s an interesting idea. I just checked and this week’s Smackdown pulled in 2.1 million viewers. That Daniel Bryan promo, despite getting some buzz today and yesterday, has only got around 100,000 views so far. Interestingly though, that incredible Bryan/Miz promo ended getting 2.5 million views since they posted it online last year, so maybe there’s something to it.

I dunno. I just feel like at a time when TV has never been more important, and some mugs are literally paying you a BILLION DOLLARS for TV content, you’d want to provide them with your best stuff, surely? That’s the crux, here. I honestly don’t think they even recognise what their best stuff is anymore. Almost without exception, it’s usually stuff that ends up on these supplemental outputs. 

The best character work of the past 12 months has been in tiny online-only interviews like this with Daniel Bryan, or on unscripted post-PPV shows where guys like the Usos can just be themselves and try and make each other laugh, or on Twitter where guys like Kevin Owens prove to have ten times the character they have on TV, or on Podcasts where guys like Trent Seven and Pete Dunne prove to be genuinely funny guys that you’d love to have a pint with.

And then all of their best video packages are on Network specials, where guys come across like larger than life characters with interesting, intriguing backstories. The complete opposite of what you see on Monday and Tuesday nights.

Imagine if they took all that great character work, combined it with all of their best video productions, then sprinkled on top the staggering amount of in-ring talent they have at their disposal. Their shows would (and frankly, should) be absolute dynamite. 

Edited by Supremo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I agree 100% this is the way to go for small bites of effective content. Put it on TV and the lapsed/half arsed fans who aren't watching the TV won't see it. Put stuff on the Internet where we do, and you might spark interest and get a few people watching again to see where it goes.

All their key telly stuff ends up on YouTube anyway, so in terms of people seeing it, they're much better off sticking it on the telly as well to get it out there. But, aye, chances are we wouldn't be getting that on air anyway because Vince is mental.

9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I dunno. I just feel like at a time when TV has never been more important, and some mugs are literally paying you a BILLION DOLLARS for TV content, you’d want to provide them with your best stuff, surely? That’s the crux, here. I honestly don’t think they even recognise what their best stuff is anymore. Almost without exception, it’s usually stuff that ends up on these supplemental outputs. 

You wonder what constructive feedback Vince is getting, if any, these days. Business is absolutely booming right now, despite of that not really being the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

You wonder what constructive feedback Vince is getting, if any, these days. Business is absolutely booming right now, despite of that not really being the case.

Id love to imagine I'd be an asset to them but I reckon that if he paid me $150k plus benefits to write nonsense that must take 5 minutes, I'd just nod and smile too!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I've typed this several times, but I remember late comedian and bit of an A-type arsehole Patrice O'Neal saying he's only ever felt his alpha personality shrink twice in his life, one being with Vince McMahon when he was a writer for a brief period. Apparently Vince was pretty cool with him, but the fear he commands is undeniable.

I'd definitely end up cleaning his personal toilet by the end of my first hour there.

Edited by ColinBollocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not a penis-on-his-face deal breaker, but that haircut of Samoa Joe's does him no favours at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/7/2018 at 1:57 PM, ColinBollocks said:

I think I've typed this several times, but I remember late comedian and bit of an A-type arsehole Patrice O'Neal saying he's only ever felt his alpha personality shrink twice in his life, one being with Vince McMahon when he was a writer for a brief period. Apparently Vince was pretty cool with him, but the fear he commands is undeniable.

I'd definitely end up cleaning his personal toilet by the end of my first hour there.

I think my favourite story is the one about the guy who wrote See No Evil. He was Vince's golden boy, and could do wrong, until he pitched the idea about Heidenreich being a frozen Nazi super soldier. Vince simply got up, walked out of the room and never listened to that guys ideas ever again.

I mean, it was a shite idea, granted, but imagine being on that team and seeing the guy go from hero to zero like that. You're not going to be creative are you? You're going to tell Vince exactly what he wants to hear and try and blend into the background as much as possible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×