Smackdown Discussion Thread

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Roode is booked as a face because his music got really over. He was fucked as a heel thanks to Gargano and Ciampa making those "Glorious bomb" videos. All his strengths/weaknesses as a wrestler, irrelevant because part of his act gets people popping.

In many ways, I hate what wrestling has become, I really do.

The entrance music doesn’t really matter, he can still be a heel who’s music gets a pop. Just like Angle can be a face who’s music encourages people to chant “you suck.” 

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

True, but it's slightly different in that Angle was a made man when that happened (as well as the dynamic being different). Plus, it led to a bit of brilliance when he turned again by pointing out how bloody daft it is him working hard for the fans and they still chant that at him.

Of course, they can still keep it if he does turn, but it's just a shame.

@PunkStep Some living in that room. Belter.

7 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

True, but it's slightly different in that Angle was a made man when that happened (as well as the dynamic being different). Plus, it led to a bit of brilliance when he turned again by pointing out how bloody daft it is him working hard for the fans and they still chant that at him.

Of course, they can still keep it if he does turn, but it's just a shame.

@PunkStep Some living in that room. Belter.

Well Roode walked into NXT a made man as well, he also has the ammo of being able to say “you idiots still cheer me despite me calling you idiots.” 

Keep the entrance music, it isn’t going to harm him unless WWE let it. Which they probably will because they are a pretty clueless these days 

On ‎07‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, air_raid said:

Not having a fit John Cena wrestle on a WrestleMania? Wow. Something in the water round here?

Genuine question - do you think having Cena on the card in a nothing match would do anything to change the PPV buy rate?

Clearly, if he's on the card it looks likely to be against Taker, but they could get so much more mileage out of that storyline from a year long build than rushing it into a month.

I like the idea of a desperate Cena looking for ways onto the card, trying to goad people into matches, and eventually falling just short - and then using that to fuel a beatdown on someone during the event itself, which then Taker interrupts starting the build for next year.  It won't happen, but I just think this is probably the only remaining "big" match they have (even if it is 3 or 4 years too late) and as such deserves more than a rushed build in a few weeks!

4 minutes ago, FourtyTwo said:

I like the idea of a desperate Cena looking for ways onto the card, trying to goad people into matches, and eventually falling just short - and then using that to fuel a beatdown on someone during the event itself, which then Taker interrupts starting the build for next year.  It won't happen, but I just think this is probably the only remaining "big" match they have (even if it is 3 or 4 years too late) and as such deserves more than a rushed build in a few weeks!

I see your point, but people don't really have attention spans these days.

If it's the only remaining big match they have left, make it happen next month whilst you still can, a hell of a lot can change in 12 months.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, UK Kat Von D said:

Well Roode walked into NXT a made man as well, he also has the ammo of being able to say “you idiots still cheer me despite me calling you idiots.” 

Keep the entrance music, it isn’t going to harm him unless WWE let it. Which they probably will because they are a pretty clueless these days 

True, they can keep it and go on, it is what it is. I think we're getting away from BombPat's idea which is pretty good, in that it's such an easy way for Roode to get the fans to hate him a bit by telling them they do not get to sing their favourite song.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, FourtyTwo said:

Genuine question - do you think having Cena on the card in a nothing match would do anything to change the PPV buy rate?

No, I don't. It's WrestleMania, short of The Rock coming back, Mania has inherently drawn based on "it's Mania" and the fact they'll throw everything at it from their Johnny Punchclock roster and every star name at their disposal. Not having John Cena wrestle if John Cena's available flies in the face of that, whether he's fighting The Undertaker or tagging up with his Bellabot. We're entering the transitional period where the pool of yesterday's star power is slowly being diluted, they would never consciously exacerbate that by telling John to miss a Mania for the sake of next year having a better build. "Today matters, tomorrow is a problem for tomorrow" is the way they've thought for years now.... which is why they're so reliant on Brock, Triple H, Taker and Cena to make the big dance still special in the first place.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

True, they can keep it and go on, it is what it is. I think we're getting away from BombPat's idea which is pretty good, in that it's such an easy way for Roode to get the fans to hate him a bit by telling them they do not get to sing their favourite song.

They can achieve that by getting him to walk out with a microphone and cut the music after 10 seconds for him to go straight into a promo. Easy heat 

8 hours ago, air_raid said:

No, I don't. It's WrestleMania, short of The Rock coming back, Mania has inherently drawn based on "it's Mania" and the fact they'll throw everything at it from their Johnny Punchclock roster and every star name at their disposal. Not having John Cena wrestle if John Cena's available flies in the face of that, whether he's fighting The Undertaker or tagging up with his Bellabot. We're entering the transitional period where the pool of yesterday's star power is slowly being diluted, they would never consciously exacerbate that by telling John to miss a Mania for the sake of next year having a better build. "Today matters, tomorrow is a problem for tomorrow" is the way they've thought for years now.... which is why they're so reliant on Brock, Triple H, Taker and Cena to make the big dance still special in the first place.

I think I agree with you, if I read it as that he won't be missing Mania but my point was more around whether he should miss it this year. You're right that they are slowly losing the stars of yesterday, but surely whilst they are hanging around, it makes it harder to make new ones?

Chucking Cena v Taker onto the card, which already will have Brock, HHH and Angle on it just serves to further highlight the gulf in class / booking / whatever it is that made "yesterday's" superstars, superstars, and today's roster irrelevant on the biggest stage of them all.

Archived