Ric Flair's Divorce Lawyer

Smackdown Discussion Thread

You have to laugh, it seems like yet another tone deaf move on WWE's part to put Nakamura, there Royal Rumble winner & Wrestlemania main eventer against one of the most over acts at the moment in Rusev.

Depending on what the crowd is like I can see Rusev being 100% face in this one.

Rusev is brilliant at that sort of thing. Him getting angry at New Day's "stupid pancakes" and repeatedly doing a big cartoon stomp on them while shouting "AAAPOOY! AAAPOOY!" is still hilarious.

I don’t know how much Nakamura benefits by singing in backstage skits with Rusev and Aiden English. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rusev, and if this was Cena or Styles (or any ‘made man’, really) it’d be fine but Naka doesn’t seem to have landed with the casual audience yet as a top tier talent, and I’m not sure this is how you get him there for Mania.

It feels like with Nakamura they’re solely relying on that Mania audience already being invested in his act, and his match with Styles. That’s fine, but it’s going to do him no favours after Mania as champion.

9 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

You have to laugh, it seems like yet another tone deaf move on WWE's part to put Nakamura, there Royal Rumble winner & Wrestlemania main eventer against one of the most over acts at the moment in Rusev.

Depending on what the crowd is like I can see Rusev being 100% face in this one.

Sometimes it's ok to watch wrestling on the surface without looking too deep into everything WWE do. You know that right?

3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t know how much Nakamura benefits by singing in backstage skits with Rusev and Aiden English. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rusev, and if this was Cena or Styles (or any ‘made man’, really) it’d be fine but Naka doesn’t seem to have landed with the casual audience yet as a top tier talent, and I’m not sure this is how you get him there for Mania.

It feels like with Nakamura they’re solely relying on that Mania audience already being invested in his act, and his match with Styles. That’s fine, but it’s going to do him no favours after Mania as champion.

Which is why I think Styles is winning at Mania and they’re just putting this match on for the Mania crowd.

It was a two minute skit, the crowd lapped it up. It's not a big deal 😂. Some wrestling fans are the worst.

Where's that shhh let people enjoy things meme. Wrestling fans who read too much into everything should take note of that.

5 minutes ago, thevestofdeanambrose said:

It was a two minute skit, the crowd lapped it up. It's not a big deal 😂. Some wrestling fans are the worst.

Where's that shhh let people enjoy things meme. Wrestling fans who read too much into everything should take note of that.

There's some truth in that. But the end conclusion of that is 'let them do what they want...who gives a shit', and that's bonkers. Being a fan means having opinions, i'd say it's far weirder to just lie back and think of England, uncritically. All fan communities are based on opinions, critical or praising, on the thing you're into. I think it's a sign you actually care.

...And anyway, short skits can be hung round your neck if done wrong, don't you think sparklecrotch? I mean, sufferin' succotash.

It's not that bad. It was just a throwaway segment, sure, but i'm not sure that does justice to your Mania challenger.

But, to TildeGuy's point, i've never even considered the possibility that Nak doesn't win. The whole thing seems like a perfect vehicle for Styles to handover to Nakamura, have a rematch at the following PPV and then get drafted off to Raw. Then you draft Miz/Rollins/Balor, or someone, to feud with Nakamura whilst Styles tears it up on Raw.

I don't know why, but I was so convinced that was the path that I didn't even consider that the Nakamura match is there solely to tickle the balls of the Mania crowd, with no interest in what comes after.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

It's the ultimate pervy "this is wrestling" match, I guess. They've clearly fancied it for a while. IIRC, didn't they tease a face off between the two of them at Money In The Bank?

Nakamura on SD has been a bit weird, though. Things got off to a ropey start with him being dragged down by Ziggler and them inexplicably changing the production of his previously perfect entrance. Then, after big wins over Cena and (IIRC) Orton, he was the bloke they sacrificed during the worst WWE championship run in history. They've done an ok job at least getting Nakamura to a certain level again, because losing to a bum like Jinder is a bit of a disaster for ones cred, particularly when you're trying to build someone up during their first year with the non-NXT casuals and, importantly, kids.

Edited by ColinBollocks

The feud with Jinder was an absolute disaster for Nakamura - they need to have words with whoever wrote that.

Nakamura probably suffers more than most from the assumption that people will just care about someone because they're told to - he was thrown straight into competitive matches, probably WWE assuming that the goodwill from NXT would carry him. He should have had a couple of months of squash matches to get over what his finishing sequence was, and what he was all about, so that it would actually get a reaction when he started hitting it on heels the audience wanted to see get kneed in the face. Dragging him down with a Ziggler feud right off the bat was a nightmare.

The Jinder feud even moreso, though - Nakamura wasn't built up strongly enough for a win over him to make Jinder look better, and also not strongly enough that a loss to Jinder wouldn't make him look worse. It was a lose/lose situation. On top of that, when Jinder's whole heel schtick was being the evil foreigner, you don't book him against a foreign babyface, unless they're going to use it to paint Jinder as a hypocrite for crying racism when the fans boo him, but then cutting "flied lice" promos on Shinsuke, but they barely touched on that.

Worst of all is that they had Nakamura debut in a segment with The Miz, then drafted Miz over to RAW and did nothing to explain why Shinsuke had turned up. You've got a heel that people would want to see get kneed in the face and shut up, who has a track record of being able to get just about anyone and anything over, and a hot new face oozing charisma, and aiming to knee Miz in the face to shut him up. Nothing could write itself better as an introductory programme for him.

Could they not have done anything better for the main event last night than basically the main event for Fastlane minus Cena. Just give it away why don’t you?

I really hope Jinder isn’t being added to the US Title match. I thought wwe was over him. I don’t want to see him wrestle, never mind being a champion. And Roode vs Orton has the potential to be a good match and would give Roode a big win over a name that he really needs. 

Roode v Orton also has the potential to be so dull that it actually makes time go into reverse. Both of them know how to work a chinlock better than Buff Bagwell. 

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Roode v Orton also has the potential to be so dull that it actually makes time go into reverse. Both of them know how to work a chinlock better than Buff Bagwell. 

Couldn't agree more, both are so, so boring.

I'm starting to think Roode is the worst promo on the entire roster, just awful, awful delivery and work these past few weeks.

That Nakamura segment was worth it just for the final line from Rusev. Creased at that, what a guy.

I don't think Roode is a poor promo, he is just a total failure as a face act. Everything about him screams heel.

20 minutes ago, FUM said:

That Nakamura segment was worth it just for the final line from Rusev. Creased at that, what a guy.

I don't think Roode is a poor promo, he is just a total failure as a face act. Everything about him screams heel.

Agreed - his best work in TNA was as the heel champ. Showed more aggression as well during it