Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Hell, even rehash the old Two Man Power Trip angle and stick Cena and Orton together as a super heel tandem, it could be the most interesting Orton's been in years too.

That's a bloody tremendous idea, think of the heat they'd get. Also if Big Dave ever fancies a quick return and is hated as much as he was during his 'Bluetista' run, then you'd have a nuclear stable on your hands.

1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Would Cena 'retiring' Undertaker have much (or any?) impact if they did it this year? For me, Taker did a pretty definitive 'I'm done' ending last year

I wouldn't call that definitive at all, especially seeing as almost 1 year down the line nobody is remotely sure whether he retired or not and it was never officially announced. One of the biggest stars of all time and certainly the closest thing to a constant WWE may ever have deserves a massive send-off. Not only does he deserve it, but you'd be mad not to make the most out of such a momentous occasion.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Now that he's a part-timer, it's as good a time as any - I've said for years that I was dead against a Cena heel turn because they didn't have the babyfaces at the right level to face him, so it would be like a heel Austin situation again where you turn your biggest babyface only to have him work against 2001 Undertaker and Kane every month because you've no one to step up and take his spot. Now, though, Cena's only there once every few weeks, he's lost to everyone and their dog already, so his "top babyface" stock is as low as it's ever been, it might be worth a punt.

There's still a danger of it being like Austin in 2001, though. The difference being that in 2001, people didn't really want Austin to be a bad guy, whereas now, the people that hate Cena need him to be a bad guy so they can give themselves permission to cheer him. The whole anti-Cena thing is really just an anti-whoeverthetopbabyfaceis thing. If Cena turns heel, I'm not sure it will benefit Reigns, Balor, Nakamura, Rollins etc. I think AJ and Strowman could withstand it and get the desired reactions against him, but for the most part, it'd be a newly cool Cena vs guys who aren't as cool as him because Vince wants me to cheer them.

That must have been the worst live crowd since...erm... Raw?

Seriously, what a pathetic pair of crowds. Just awful.

Are there engaged, fun crowds left? Or is the choice strictly between the snarky anti-Cena brigade or the tumbleweeders?

• Paid Members

There was a Raw a few weeks ago that had a crowd that was into most of the show, without being knobs. I forget which week, but I do remember making note of it - maybe because it's rarer to find that these days. It makes all the difference for a show.

• Awards Moderator

Reading the WWE.com recap, I picked up on Ziggler complaining that he’s never had a singles match at WrestleMania. This has made me change my mind on teaming Cena and Orton to get them both on the card. Instead I’d like Cena to face Samoa Joe, and Ziggler to have a match with Orton, finally getting him his singles match at Mania, which goes as follows:

bell

RKO

pin

bell.

Like the Rusev match from Summerslam but twice as fast. Gets Orton an outtanowhere moment, Ziggler has his singles match, boom, done.

Ziggler’s promo wasn’t bad (though his suggestion that WWE was something he himself built made me laugh) but I realised that ‘whingy and entitled’ is really overdone now. That quasi-shoot style needs to get in the bin, too.

• Paid Members
On 05/03/2018 at 12:35 PM, FourtyTwo said:

I still reckon the way forward is to have Cena not get the match this year, interfere in another match on the card and have Taker come out and stop him.  No match, not even any physical interaction, but then take a year-long run at building to it.

Not having a fit John Cena wrestle on a WrestleMania? Wow. Something in the water round here?

I don’t know how much Nakamura benefits by singing in backstage skits with Rusev and Aiden English. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rusev, and if this was Cena or Styles (or any ‘made man’, really) it’d be fine but Naka doesn’t seem to have landed with the casual audience yet as a top tier talent, and I’m not sure this is how you get him there for Mania.

It feels like with Nakamura they’re solely relying on that Mania audience already being invested in his act, and his match with Styles. That’s fine, but it’s going to do him no favours after Mania as champion.

9 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

You have to laugh, it seems like yet another tone deaf move on WWE's part to put Nakamura, there Royal Rumble winner & Wrestlemania main eventer against one of the most over acts at the moment in Rusev.

Depending on what the crowd is like I can see Rusev being 100% face in this one.

Sometimes it's ok to watch wrestling on the surface without looking too deep into everything WWE do. You know that right?

3 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I don’t know how much Nakamura benefits by singing in backstage skits with Rusev and Aiden English. Don’t get me wrong, I love Rusev, and if this was Cena or Styles (or any ‘made man’, really) it’d be fine but Naka doesn’t seem to have landed with the casual audience yet as a top tier talent, and I’m not sure this is how you get him there for Mania.

It feels like with Nakamura they’re solely relying on that Mania audience already being invested in his act, and his match with Styles. That’s fine, but it’s going to do him no favours after Mania as champion.

Which is why I think Styles is winning at Mania and they’re just putting this match on for the Mania crowd.

Archived