Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
47 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Do you reckon there's any truth to that, or just Reddit chatter concluding this to be the case because he's they're new target man since Jonny Ace lost his power? Would Dunn have any say in creative? I always got the impression from Bruce that although he's the head honcho when it comes to production, he doesn't really have input in creative.

I suspect bollocks, but I want it to be true because it's mental for the reasons mentioned. I bring it up because it's the one story I read about Lynch's sudden demotion; I think Lynch even jokingly tweeted about it too.

There are conflicting stories about Dunn. Jim Cornette seems to reckon he's poison and, while Vince always has final say, he'll offer an opinion due to his production role. While, as you typed, Bruce Prichard downplays his influence.
Of course, there are those rumours that Steph and Triple H think similar to Bischoff about him, in that they can do better and want rid ASAP.

As always with wrestling, what it true and what is nonsense is up for debate. He's definitely taken on the role of the great evil of the wrestling business over the last 5 years or so.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, ColinBollocks said:

There was some brilliant speculation last year that the Himmler of wrestling, Kevin Dunn, was against pushing her because he thinks her accent is daft. 

Sheamus and Balor having acceptable accents, I assume.

Dunn was constantly running down Sheamus to anyone who would listen when he was being pushed.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Has Becky Lynch done something to hack off the top brass? She's gone from the first female draft pick, first SD champion and pivotal in the turnaround of the division to now being a cursory afterthought for the majority of the last year or so.

Indeed. By far the worst bit of Becky booking in that spell for me - and possibly my most hated WWE booking decision for years - was when in the build for Natalya's title shot at Naomi at SummerSlam, they booked the total never-been nobody heel to go over the popular young babyface CLEAN by SUBMISSION. What the actual fuck.

Second most hated was clearly Nattie beating Naomi.

• Paid Members

Very average episode. Owens vs Ziggler was good. Never thought I’d say Ziggler had a good match again. Good backstage interaction between Kevin and Sami. Kevin looked concerned more than relived about what Sami said to him. 

Jinder died on his arse out there cutting his promo. Again. Get him gone. Roode was no better. He can’t do a good promo as a face. AJ was just as bad tbh, who ever gave him that boil joke needs sacking. 

No Nakamura again. Shouldn’t he be there, squashing people to build him up for ‘Mania?

• Paid Members

Nah, I think they're absolutely playing it right using Nakamura sparingly; creating a 'special attraction' type vibe, because he got watered down and a bit exposed turning up every week doing middling matches and terrible promos. They probably looked at what made him work in NXT and realised he's more effective turning up when they have something good for him to do. It's smart.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Nah, I think they're absolutely playing it right using Nakamura sparingly; creating a 'special attraction' type vibe, because he got watered down and a bit exposed turning up every week doing middling matches and terrible promos. They probably looked at what made him work in NXT and realised he's more effective turning up when they have something good for him to do. It's smart.

One of my favourite parts of NXT is not seeing each person every week as when you do see them it does feel more special. Nakamura and Roode both felt a real occasion NXT, from the music to the look to the matches, all built up nicely. When you hear GLORIOUS each week, it soon gets boring but once in a blue moon the crowd lapped it up. I am liking the fact they seem to be taking the NXT approach currently with Nakamura on Smackdown.

Seriously who is writing Smackdown, it's fucking DREADFUL. They have some cracking talent but man, it's the scripting, off the top of my head......fucking AJ going on about cutting whatever it was off Owens back, insinuating it was Zayn, literally zero noise from the crowd, not a fucking hoot. Then Jinder and Roode take part in one of the worst and most awkward confrontations ever, with the supposed babyface coming across as petrified of Orton, "no no, no I never said THAT". It's so weird, almost like they are sabotaging the show, cos it's not bad it's laughably bad.

I will say however that in a short but decent match that was only what, 8 minutes, I thought AJ and Corbin had some good chemistry there. I love a good big man/small man dynamic, when the difference is really great. I found my mind wandering to just what a Bryan/Brock match could have been, good lord.

53 minutes ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

Seriously who is writing Smackdown, it's fucking DREADFUL. They have some cracking talent but man, it's the scripting, off the top of my head......fucking AJ going on about cutting whatever it was off Owens back, insinuating it was Zayn, literally zero noise from the crowd, not a fucking hoot. Then Jinder and Roode take part in one of the worst and most awkward confrontations ever, with the supposed babyface coming across as petrified of Orton, "no no, no I never said THAT". It's so weird, almost like they are sabotaging the show, cos it's not bad it's laughably bad.

I will say however that in a short but decent match that was only what, 8 minutes, I thought AJ and Corbin had some good chemistry there. I love a good big man/small man dynamic, when the difference is really great. I found my mind wandering to just what a Bryan/Brock match could have been, good lord.

I'm sure Road Dogg has a hand in it doesn't he? I remember straight after the brand split Smackdown was awesome I used to look forward to watching it every week, think that lasted about 6 months or so then the quality started nosediving. I think it was someone connected to NXT who was the writer when the split happened, not sure if he's still there or not

1 hour ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

I'm sure Road Dogg has a hand in it doesn't he? I remember straight after the brand split Smackdown was awesome I used to look forward to watching it every week, think that lasted about 6 months or so then the quality started nosediving. I think it was someone connected to NXT who was the writer when the split happened, not sure if he's still there or not

Last I read, former NXT head writers Ryan Ward and Steven Guerrieri were senior writers with Brian James (Roaddogg) as Head Writer.

When the split happened, I believe Ward was the lead writer, then in the early part of 2017 (possibly around/after Royal Rumble) a change occurred and James was promoted slightly above Ward.

Of course that could not be the case, but the trio I’ve mentioned are the main writers.

8 hours ago, Ambulance Chaser said:

A Brock/Bryan match is kind of interesting, but not as interesting to me as Bryan/Braun with Braun in his current form. That could have been spectacular.

*edit* also worth mentioning that the two standout performers of the week were Dolph Ziggler and Seth Rollins. I feel dirty just saying that.

I’ll never advocate for your champion jobbing clean on TV, but that was a lovely main event. Really nice story and well told.

Surprised they didn’t go Nakamura/Cena, though, as Fastlane is so main event heavy.

Baron Corbin has the worst look in the history of wrestling. When they did a split screen to his dressing room and he had his top off? Good grief.

I’m not necessarily a massive fan of everyone on Smackdown but I do think it’s currently a far better written TV show than Raw.

Archived