Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, DJM said:

The promo video they showed for Jinder about his trip to India spoiled the fact that he is probably holding the title until the beginning of December, so as to defend it in India on their next tour.

I'm pretty sure Cole actually said during/after the India video that Mahal is going to defend the WWE Title on the India tour, which indicates he's definitely keeping it until December. 

EDIT: Nevermind, I mis-read your post like an idiot and just realised I've just pretty much repeated you. Sorry! Nothing to see here...

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's booked to defend the title against Owens in Matches on the India tour, obviously positioning him as the hometown babyface hero. Meanwhile in their HOME market attendances are in the toilet and the show has taken a massive downward turn since he became champ. There is no two ways about it in my mind that it's been an absolute failure, he's had no good matches and cut no good promos, some people just aint built for the top titles and he is one, he's a body and no more. Remember the days AJ was champ on Smackdown and Owens was fucking around on Raw with the Universal Title playing second fiddle to a list, how prestigious the WWE Title felt, yeah, good times.

17 hours ago, Coles84 said:

I loved how in NXT Bobby Roode felt a bit of an occasion. Not on TV every week but showing up for a PPV with a great entrance and some backstage video's hyping up and explaining his character a bit. Unfortunately I feel already on Smackdown the entrance has already been done to death and they have made no effort to explain his character (unless I have drifted off and I stand corrected) just expecting everyone to know him from NXT even though he was a heel over there with no explanation of a turn. 

I really hope they can do something to keep him fresh as he seems a good pair of hands and would be a good heel to have in the title picture but I fear things like this Ziggler feud is just going to push him in to the fateful zone where people lose interest very quick. 

On the positive side, I am loving Sammi and KO. I am very interested where this will go and fair play for making us care about Sammi again. KO is such a joy, quite possibly my favourite on the roster at the moment. 

He'll be a solid heel eventually. They probably don't think there's room for him on the heel side at the moment so just keep him going a bit with a crappy face feud. It won't ruin him. He's where he needs to be for now. Problem with explaining his character is that it's such a heel character.

• Paid Members

Sami Zayn as a heel is amazing. Cocky, arrogant and the dancing are all such great touches which have been dialled up a notch since the heel turn. Whats more, his squeaky, annoying voice is just top notch. Agreed that it was a solid episode though. Advanced the feud and story from the night before and left me wanting more. So, good stuff :-)

• Paid Members

First SD I’ve seen in about 2 months and yeah I enjoyed it. I too enjoyed Sami really hamming his character up in that opening segment.I like how Shane immediately mentioned why AJ was at Raw, as it assisted with getting the troops in. If they can at the very least cover their tracks with explainations like this, then it could work. However, having every member of the roster uniting one minute but back to internal feuds after the break is my biggest gripe.

My suggestion would have been to announce your 5 guys straight away, keep them focused on SS, keep them away from feuds and let everyone else on the roster have internal feuds for weekly TV. However, keep it interesting with politics about other roster members wanting a SS spot, leading to shenanigans, injuries etc. They are kind of doing that, but having the full roster turn up wasn’t the way to do it. If he just took 5 including AJ, they sneaked around backstage, jumping people off camera, laying waste with weapons, no one knows what’s happening until the reveal at the end of the show, Id be less questionable.

Anyway, that’s another topic. Good show overall I thought.

Not a Big Issue but something I was just thinking to myself whilst watching earlier

These Women Team Captain Matches, whats the Point in them?

Well I know the point is to fill up time etc, but in stroyline terms why does it matter? its not like they are picking the team when Smackdowns team is all ready known and picked by Daniel Bryan and you can pretty much guess Raws team with Bliss all ready in the Title vs Title match that only leaves 6 women that I can think off (Assuming Nia Jax isn't an option) for the 5 spots anyway so any picks the Captains do make is hardly shocking stuff

They are all fighting for this Captains role that doesn't seem to have any Importance attached to the role, Its not like the Captains are needed to exchange pennants International football style at the start of the match,

If they could show why its Important to be a Captain it might make me care more about who is and isn't in that role, maybe they will expand on it over the next 3 weeks      

• Paid Members

I like the idea of letting your guys work their issues with each other out in the ring in the hopes that it's all out of their system in time for Survivor Series, a bit like that scene in that really early Simpsons episode where they're all hooked up to the electric chairs at Doctor Marvin Monroe's family therapy centre.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Lovely reference.. “why you little *buzzz*”. I think I had that on VHS along with the episode where Bart’s being bullied by nelson so he creates an army to defeat him with water balloons.

I still have that VHS in my loft. 

Archived