Smackdown Discussion Thread

Bryan was frequently nowhere near believable earlier in his WWE career, to be fair. No matter what reaction his character was meant to be portraying, he'd just stand there awkwardly smirking, like he wanted to show he was taking the piss out of the storylines. I'm not sure when that stopped. The heel turn?

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

There does seem to have been some massive rewriting of history with Daniel Bryan. He wasn't a good promo or actor at all. He grew into it as it became pretty much real on screen. Even now he's sort of awkward and his delivery isn't great. 

He was great in ring and people's real love for him went a long way. If he came around now, when Indy guys are everywhere I'm not sure he's not just Sami Zayn.

Even with him smirking through the Bellas stuff or NXT games for example, it was still him seeming jovial. I don't see Zayn in the same way. You can tell Bryan has a good sense of humour and can take the piss out of himself whereas I've not seen it from Zayn yet. I don't think if the roles were reversed and Zayn were to come in when Bryan did, that he'd be able to get over the same way Bryan did. No way.

I've not really seen him as El Generico where he was under a mask - was he more fun then?

9 minutes ago, FourtyTwo said:

As much as I love a bit of Brian Blessed, and Flash Gordon is a quality film, if the only comments about Smackdown are about how much Rusev looks like him, I don't take that as it being a must-see show!

Not really must see no, but when was the last time Smackdown was must see?

They have put Harper and Rowan together again and given them giant hammers though (as The Bludgeon Brothers), so that is something.

• Paid Members

Was Jinder or the WWE title even mentioned at all during this show? At least when Lesnar isn't around for months on end, the Universal title is still bought up and Brock is mentioned. The WWE title has never been such an after-thought, has it?

I enjoyed this episode though. Looking forwards to Usos vs Gable/Benjamin. The Owens/Zayn promo was decent enough and Zayn seems to have adopted this annoying camp persona which should transfer into some decent heel heat. Pretty good (although short) main event, too, although I was surprised at them giving Corbin a clean victory over Styles already.

Ziggler is still the worst. Not sure if both him and Roode forgot their lines during that segment, or if it was just poorly written, but it was flat as fuck. Sooner Ziggler fucks off, the better.

I wonder what's next for Jinder? He's done the feuds with Orton and Nakamura to death. Styles maybe? Or do they push one of New Day to a title match? Big E vs Jinder for Survivor Series would be interesting. Thought Zayn's promo on Smackdown was pretty good. Not a big fan of chucking Harper and Rowan back together again. Seems so long ago that Harper was getting a main event push around Mania time and now he's back where he started teaming with that waste of space Rowan. 

• Paid Members

The highlight of this entire show was the pop Breezango got and the funny way in which Fandango walked to the ring during their entrance. They've got something with those two, but you can already sense that they don't know what to do with it. They've dragged the Fashion Files thing out forever and nothing has really gone anywhere. If anything, it felt like they should've been made number one contenders rather than Gable and Shelton.

What was that weird deal with Daniel Bryan acting like a dick at the start of the show? Very strange scripting for a babyface in his hometown.

That Harper and Rowan are back together is ridiculous. How many times have they split up the Wyatts, then put them back together, at this point? And never for any particular reason? They'll probably be back with Bray by Wrestlemania. Then they'll all split up again and go back to floundering by Summerslam. Also, poor Harper. He's way too good to be saddled with Rowan. When they actually got behind him earlier this year he proved that he could be an excellent singles competitor in the US Title hunt, if not the WWE Title picture.

Ziggler is so fucking awful there aren't even words.

I thought Owens and Zayn were excellent together.

AJ Styles is a very good professional wrestler. I'm assuming this was the end of the Corbin feud and it'll be AJ vs. Mahal going forward?

• Paid Members

I'd actually be for Big E as a temporary challenger. A lot gets made of the Singhs interference so having the New Day there to back up E would make sense. Perhaps for a huge show it may not work but as it stands 

Roode is tied up with Ziggler, I'd expect AJ and Corbin to maybe go once more or AJ to do something with Owens and Zayn considering his comments post HIAC on talking smack and his connection with them. Orton would seem the odd one out but maybe a cross promotional thing? E would be great and the New Day hyping a title match would at least be good Promo time. 

I like Harper & Rowan being back together. A lot actually. At least rather than just appearing together like they would have, they have a cool vignette, a badarse new look and even a team name. Harper's main event push petered out long, long ago and was clearly just a half-hearted experiment unfortunately. Rowan is not the waste of space I once thought him to be, I think before whichever PPV he was scheduled to face Harper at short notice, he delivered an absolutely astounding and compelling performance on Talking Smack one time. There's mileage there.

Also, Fashion Files' "2B", gotta be Bludgeon Brothers?

Harper and Rowan are a fine team. I'd like better things for Harper, but they're not happening and SmackDown badly needs credible teams. The new team name and walking around with hammers seems like lazy shite cobbled together fast, but I'm optimistic.

I'd love one of New Day as the next title challenger! I think they're building to the big teams vs teams matches at Survivor Series though.

Archived