Smackdown Discussion Thread

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I definitely see Zayn and Owens as partners one day - it's the only version of their dynamic from the indies that they haven't touched on in WWE yet, and they did some double team stuff together on a Montreal house show recently - but I wouldn't want it to come about from Sami turning heel. I just think that Sami getting beaten down by a pair of right dickheads, only for Owens to make the save and help him out, would make for one hell of a pop, and a cathartic character moment for Owens; I think that would be far more of a big deal than a Sami heel turn. Plus, Owens can then inevitably just turn on Sami a little later down the line anyway, and just be like, "well, what did you expect?"

They already done it on a Canadian house show when Owens come to rescue Zayn from Jinder and The Singhs, it did get a massive pop,  I do think after Zayn got thrown into Shane at the end of Smackdown that Zayn will attack Shane and turn heel. I don't know if he will align himself with Owens but it would make sense, they could be the top double act on Smackdown and bring Zayn into main events against Orton, Nakamura etc, Zayn has been a face his whole career, he needs to turn I think to bring something different to him.

Edited by D@mm

10 minutes ago, MFrV1 said:

And WWE have never been generic or repetitive?

Just thought it has been a while since they did a 'masked attacker' angle.

Didn't they do that angle at the start of the year with the masked attacker going after Becky Lynch helping Alexa Bliss and it was revealed to be Mickie James after a few weeks.

• Paid Members

I hope Rusev and Aiden English are a permanent partnership. English singing the Bulgarian national anthem as Rusev comes to the ring and being his manager would be ace. 

On Owens/Shane, do we think this leads to Triple H and Owens at Mania? If so, as the top heel on the brand, does Owens win the WWE Title in the meantime (presuming Nakamura beats Jinder at HIAC), making Triple H/Owens the WWE title programme at Mania?

I only ask, because Triple H winning a further title only puts him one behind Cena for the record. It wouldn't take much to get him up to 16 to do Cena vs Triple H at Mania the following year. You could even do Career vs Record, with the loser retiring. Of course, I'm not saying I'm in favour of this plan, or it's something they would/should go for, or that Owens should lose in that scenario. Just a thought.

Edited by mim731
More thoughts to add

• Paid Members

Apart from the fact that Rey was massively over with the casual fans and shifting merch like a medieval peddler, whereas Zayn is not. He's boring and stuck in a rut, desperately in need of a change. I say do it.

It's more like turning Daniel Bryan in about 2012 or whenever it was. Which they did, and it was a brilliant move.

A heel Owens/Zayn act would probably pale in comparison to Jericho/Owens, which is still fresh in the memory and (despite loads of shitty, lazy, repetitive booking) was one of the most fun duos in recent memory.

Owens and Triple H is a good shout for Mania. I don't know what else there is for Hunter on the card unless it's a match with Kurt Angle. Assuming Owens is the heel in the scenario, he could fuck up the NXT main event the night before to annoy Hunter. Then the bloke from that match who isn't NXT champion could debut on SmackDown on the Tuesday and go after Kev.

Owens and Zayn would be a different dynamic to Owens and Jericho though as it will be less comedy and more Owens just using Zayn as his bitch and having Zayn always try to soften up his opponent, sometimes succeeding and sometimes failing to do so but I think it would be a good combo, they could be heels for a bit then after Mania have them turn face and go against Jinder and Rusev or something like that.

I'm not saying Zayn should never be heel but right now it would be a dreadful idea. His promo this week said when he would have his time with a championship, he was gonna do it the right way. They should follow through with that