Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
8 hours ago, D@mm said:

I still think WWE should repackage Sami Zayn as a Syirian sympathizer. 

No, they really shouldn't. Aside from the overtly xenophobic nature of such a gimmick, it wouldn't work. The Syria issue is neither prevalent enough on US news to garner the requisite attention/heat, but they already have two "evil foreigner" gimmicks going, a third would be madness. Plus, it's 2017.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

Sami Zayn has been shite ever since he got called to the main roster hasn't he? I've been bored of him for a long time too. It's not all his fault, but he's definitely failed to connect with the broader audience. His absolutely rubbish physique means he loses points with me too.

Cena makes this point, indirectly, on the E&C podcast. They were discussing the failings of the current roster and Edge was going on about how the step from NJPW, ROH, TNA etc to WWE is massive, Cena chimes in with NXT too. Cena points out that it's all well and good getting over on such a show, driven towards that market, but WWE is marketed towards every dolt on earth. His point, being a wow and a whizz on NXT pretty much means nowt, long term. Sami Zayn is the best example.

WWE haven't done him any favours, BUT, it's up to him to make the most of it (again, as Cena points out). Daniel Bryan is the best example ever of making the most of it, if he didn't he'd be another Dolph Ziggler.

Part of that has to be down the years and the number of shows Bryan did. He worked pretty much everywhere and not just for "hot" promotions etc for example doing extensive tours with All Star. I really don't know where a lot of the top indy guys work for when there isnt a ROH or NJPW show. On top of that the point there isn't anywhere to work in front of an average fan western audience in a larger arena these days means people have no chance to gain experience of interacting with thousands of fans who don't know who they are at the beginning. I also think it must be difficult to imagine the production and cameras you have to deal with. For a lot of guys even with time in NXT which is helping to bridge the gap a bit there it must be like going from playing a gig in a little local venue to playing an arena concert for a band

• Paid Members

Zayn was booked like a total chump, in an age of everything being super scripted and micro managed i dont see how people can get themselves over anymore. Unless the office books them in a way that allows them to be put in a position to do so

That said alot of top indy guys have said that they knew very little about how to work to TV correctly. 

The fact Zayn is a nobody on the main roster is a travesty, and a sure sign that, with only a handful of exceptions, WWE really struggles to get and keep anyone over. Zayn in NXT is a different proposition, sure. That crowd are indy-savvy and love work rate, so when Zayn shows up and has 15-20 min mini epics with incredible selling in that intimate setting, he gets over huge without the need to educate the crowd. You can't do that on the main roster. The audience need to know WHO he is before he steps between the ropes. I'm sure I've said before, but going toe to toe with Cena during his US run meant absolutely nothing - Cena was doing that with EVERYONE, all while doing his cartoon impression of what he thought Indy was. Yes, he got hype from a stuttering Bret Hart, but he then shoved out in front of mainstream TV with no character intro and no established personality. Booking just did their usual "go out and get over" because they didn't know how to do it themselves. They've done that to Nakamura, and now Bobby's got the same treatment. They've gone from 3D characters to entrances and move sets. It's lazy, shortsighted, and it sucks.

Well, that was a bit of a weak episode. I feel no reason to watch next week as nothing of note happened. 

Kevin Owens was the only redeeming thing on the show.

Ziggler was the drizzling shits. Can't wait to see him leave. 

At least the two cell matches at the PPV should be fun. 

13 minutes ago, pitseleh said:

Well, that was a bit of a weak episode. I feel no reason to watch next week as nothing of note happened. 

Kevin Owens was the only redeeming thing on the show.

Ziggler was the drizzling shits. Can't wait to see him leave. 

At least the two cell matches at the PPV should be fun. 

At least they allowed Nakamura to get his hands on Mahal this week. It is amazing that the crowd are still behind Nakamura as well.

Owens/Zayn looked fine. Zayn to turn heel at HIAC and side with Owens?

I love the two top superstars and old rivals teaming up dynamic. Always have - HHH and Austin were one of my favourite tag teams so I'd definitely like to see Zayn and Owens team up.

Just got in there from celebrating Rusev Day, hope you all had a good one.

• Paid Members

I definitely see Zayn and Owens as partners one day - it's the only version of their dynamic from the indies that they haven't touched on in WWE yet, and they did some double team stuff together on a Montreal house show recently - but I wouldn't want it to come about from Sami turning heel. I just think that Sami getting beaten down by a pair of right dickheads, only for Owens to make the save and help him out, would make for one hell of a pop, and a cathartic character moment for Owens; I think that would be far more of a big deal than a Sami heel turn. Plus, Owens can then inevitably just turn on Sami a little later down the line anyway, and just be like, "well, what did you expect?"

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, DJM said:

At least they allowed Nakamura to get his hands on Mahal this week. It is amazing that the crowd are still behind Nakamura as well.

I don't think it is. I thin kthey're as desperate to see someone beat Mahal as most. There is something to be said for "Anyone but this shitarse" heat. It got Reigns cheered over Sheamus that time.

17 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I definitely see Zayn and Owens as partners one day - it's the only version of their dynamic from the indies that they haven't touched on in WWE yet, and they did some double team stuff together on a Montreal house show recently - but I wouldn't want it to come about from Sami turning heel. I just think that Sami getting beaten down by a pair of right dickheads, only for Owens to make the save and help him out, would make for one hell of a pop, and a cathartic character moment for Owens; I think that would be far more of a big deal than a Sami heel turn. Plus, Owens can then inevitably just turn on Sami a little later down the line anyway, and just be like, "well, what did you expect?"

It's a bit soon to do it. It's essentially the Ambrose/Rollins story they just told. Regardless of whether he teams up with Sami, a proper babyface run for Owens is one of the few cards they still have up their sleeve.

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2017 at 5:59 PM, CavemanLynn said:

The fact Zayn is a nobody on the main roster is a travesty, and a sure sign that, with only a handful of exceptions, WWE really struggles to get and keep anyone over. Zayn in NXT is a different proposition, sure. That crowd are indy-savvy and love work rate, so when Zayn shows up and has 15-20 min mini epics with incredible selling in that intimate setting, he gets over huge without the need to educate the crowd. You can't do that on the main roster. The audience need to know WHO he is before he steps between the ropes. I'm sure I've said before, but going toe to toe with Cena during his US run meant absolutely nothing - Cena was doing that with EVERYONE, all while doing his cartoon impression of what he thought Indy was. Yes, he got hype from a stuttering Bret Hart, but he then shoved out in front of mainstream TV with no character intro and no established personality. Booking just did their usual "go out and get over" because they didn't know how to do it themselves. They've done that to Nakamura, and now Bobby's got the same treatment. They've gone from 3D characters to entrances and move sets. It's lazy, shortsighted, and it sucks.

WWE is a weird creature. They don't do vignettes for characters anymore ( despite having more TV time to film than ever before) to introduce them and are in a far better position now then they were 20 years ago because every single talent they have coming in has a library of footage from NXT or partnership companies they can use to promote them. If they flounder it's because they don't know how to work and if they thrive it's because of the booking. 

They could turn Zayn heel by interfering in one of Owens' matches, but doing so masked.

There would be a couple of weeks of the pair denying knowing who it is, ending with the typical heel turn promo about being held back.

WWE have done worse.

Archived