UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

I think its about right where it is. I really like American Horror Story but it hasn't been around long and is very much an acquired taste I think. The second season was better than the first. Looking forward to seeing how bonkers they make the third season.

American Horror Story's first season was so bad it was good. Got a lot of laughs from it. The second season was properly brilliant though, and the third looks great too.

There's been so many shit TV horrors coming out of the woodshed recently, it's good to see one that's good.

• Paid Members

=45

"Our job is to save lives not to judge them."

er460.jpg

ER

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

The longest ever running medical drama (an incredible 15 seasons) and winner of 116 awards, ER is the brainchild of Jurassic Park duo Michael Crichton and Steven Spielberg based on Crichton's time as a physician in a hospital emergency room.

What do you say?

"long running show that was always great to watch and addictive. My favourite episode was the one with Ewan McGregor which was fantastic. a million miles from our dreary Casualty."

"It seems like this has been forgotten now but this ensemble drama was must-see TV. The first four seasons in particular give the leads tremendous arcs; none more so than Mark Greene who goes from happy family man, to physical abuse paranoia victim, to lonely thug, to tumour-facing happy go lucky dude.

And George Clooney was never sexier."

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

=45

"Let's be careful out there."

Hill-Street-Blues-tv-01.jpg

Hill Street Blues

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

This cop show from the 80's basically laid the groundwork for every cop show to have existed ever since. It included black actors as part of it's main cast which was groundbreaking at the time and rather than the simple good cop catches bad criminal premise that every cop show beforehand ran with, Hill Street Blues often featured storylines on police corruption, racism, alcoholism and other thorny issues. Also...

veronica_hamel.jpg

:love:

What do you say?

"Absolutely terrific cop series that is owed so much by every cop series produced in the US since. Let's be careful out there."

Clips!

Pilot episode (FULL)

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yeah, I voted for the Blues. Brilliant show. When I was a kid I only watched it for Belker growling at people. Then I got older and watched it for Veronica Hamel. Now I watch it for both.

4od has a shitload of episodes as well:-

http://www.youtube.com/show/hillstreetblues

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I've only caught the occasional episode on telly when I'm off sick from work, but it really does look excellent. Be interesting to see where Homicide, NYPD Blue and so on feature in this list, the big detective series. I'm assuming The Wire is in the Top 10.

I'm a little worried Nash Bridges won't make it though :(

• Paid Members

Hill Street Blues is great because although it has some ongoing plot strands, it's more or less a 'monster of the week' series so you can dip in and out of it and not get too confused by it.

As for Nash Bridges, yeah I liked Jodi Lyn O'Keefe as well.

• Paid Members

=43

"Good looks are a curse, Deirdre. You and Kenneth should count yourselves lucky."

D1C783D218B65D46391573CD3FC829_h498_w598_m2_crvwWboPh.jpg

Coronation Street

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

The lives of the people who live and work on Coronation Street. Despite this being the longest running and most popular soap I am ashamed to say that I have never watched it in my entire life. I know that Ian McKellen was it in for a bit so it must be better than Eastenders.

What do you say?

"Eastenders is fucking shite. Corrie is lovely. Maybe it’s because I’m northern? Nah, is it bollocks. Corrie is a superb soap, one of the best ever in terms of characters. Keeps a level head most of the time. It’s classic British stuff. Keeping shit modern now and then but keeping classic working brit elements at the fold. Also Jim McDonald is one of the greatest creations in soap. He’s in corrie. It wins."

Clips!

First ever episode!

Phwoar! Sophie Webster lesbian scene

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

=43

"There's no golden ring at the end of the ride... it's all bullshit."

Rescue-Me-TV-s02.jpg

Rescue Me

Voted number 1? No.

What's it about?

Bill Hicks impersonator Dennis Leary stars in this long running drama based around the troubled lives of a group of New York City firefighters. The shadow of 9/11 hangs heavy over the shows earlier seasons and the characters deal with PTS, alcoholism and relationship breakdowns. It's a lot better than our London's Burning which ruined countless Sunday evenings for me as a child with it's shitness.

What do you say?

"A show with a great cast of characters and managed the balance between serious drama and lighthearted moments very well indeed."

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh