UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my quote about it 'deserving to be higher', obviously referring to my personal list where I put it about 7th. Again, that comes back to it being a 'favourite' list rather than attempting to pick the 'best' TV dramas somewhat objectively. If it had been the latter, I'd have voted this #1 comfortably - the sheer scope of the thing (as well as the research that went into it) is quite incredible by TV standards.

Yes, nice work LaGoosh, I agree with KP on the pacing of the thread, I thought banging it out quickly worked.

The right show won as well, nothing touches The Wire. Well done UKFF. For those just starting it, you might wonder what the fuss is about after a couple of episodes but give it time and attention and you will be rewarded. I

The only reason The Wire didn't make my number one was that last series, which over-did the allegory bit and mis-used some characters. I found that a bit of a chore to finish. Whereas with Deadwood (my top pick) every episode is a priceless gem, and it's infinitely rewatchable.

I actually think the 2nd series of The Wire was the best, in a way, and I think the reason it got bad reactions was that viewers didn't realise that each series would be a different story arc; they were expecting just more of the first series, and that's not how The Wire works.

The Sopranos is my next re-up, Mrs Loki wants to plough through that before attempting The Wire again.

Great effort LaGoosh, and barring the odd quirk (Dexter?) it's a pretty good top 20 all told.

The only reason The Wire didn't make my number one was that last series, which over-did the allegory bit and mis-used some characters. I found that a bit of a chore to finish. Whereas with Deadwood (my top pick) every episode is a priceless gem, and it's infinitely rewatchable.

I agree on the final season of The Wire, my quote mentions this, but for me it doesn

Honky, have you been watching Treme? It's really sublime, not like The Wire at all in content, but in terms of an incredible grounding in real street life. Incredible music, great rounded characters. Nothing much really happens, but it's the greatest love letter I've ever seen to a city, even more so than The Wire.

• Paid Members
One show that I love that I don't think got any votes is The Pacific. It's the sequel to Band Of Brothers and almost as good IMO. It's ace.

It's not really a sequel, just made by the same production company. It's ok, not as good as BoB though.