UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, Dance of Dragons is great. On the whole they have more license for creativity with the TV show and have put more twists and turns in it, and made boring parts more interesting or cut them out all together. I think the next few series' will be great, but only time will tell if it becomes a 'classic'. Personally, I'm quite hopeful that it will.

Feast For Crows was a tough read but I really enjoyed Dance Of Dragons

I really liked Feast, the problem was a lot of new characters at the same time. Storm of Swords was my favourite, then Dance of Dragons, then Feast. I actually liked the original the least (but that might be because I'd seen the TV series so knew the twists).

Back on topic, Sopranos would have been my #1 if I'd actually voted.

All Favourites lists are invariably skewed to recent stuff, particularly when some of the voters are under 18. Half of this board probably weren't even born when Homicide was on, let alone Juliet Bravo.

Homicide finished when I was fifteen, and Juliet Bravo when I was about two. There are very few active members on here who are fifteen years older than me or more. I'd bet that anyone voting for Juliet Bravo wasn't watching it when it was first on, they were watching it years later, so age digs are irrelevant.

Homicide might be more popular had it not been completely overshadowed by The Wire. If another big-budget fantasy epic series comes along in the next twenty years that does graphic beheadings, tits and the like, that'll probably bump Game of Thrones from people's favourites. But if another show doesn't come along that does the same things only better, then you will be similarly upset by such lists in twenty years time. Game of Thrones is essentially an attitude era Lord of the Rings, and there's a good chance that for years after it, people will complain that then-current fantasy TV series are crap in comparison.

• Paid Members

Game Of Thrones shouldn't be near the top 10. It's great an' all, and I love the books too, but it's not on the same level as The Wire or The Sopranos say. I always think of it as quite trashy and a bit of a soap opera but with better acting and a more violent/serious tone. It's not exactly high art is it?

Also, it's not even half way through its eventual run, it's too soon to judge it.

Interested to see which comes no. 1 out of The Wire and The Sopranos.

I always mentally lump it in with NYPD Blues as well. But to be honest, I didn't care much for either at the time I watched them as a kid and although I would probably appreciate them more now as an adult I still don't care enough to check them out.

It's still a bit average Chest. I'd thoroughly recommend the David Simon book it's loosely based on though.