UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

The Shield was the only thing I ever watched on Lovefilm Instant but my god was it good. It'd have easily made my top 5 if I voted, but embarrassingly I couldn't think of 10 :/

• Moderators

When I watch a few episodes of The Shield I get overexcited and roll around the front room pretending to shoot the dog and going on about her being a dealer. I think that's one of the biggest compliments you can pay a TV drama.

• Paid Members
More shows that didn't make the top 50!

Rome

I've had a few that didn't make it and Rome was one of them. The Newsroom that also ended up on this list but it was my number 11 choice. Adored the first series despite an annoying supporting cast. It's Daniels who steals the show time and time again. Surprised there wasn't more love for it here.

• Paid Members

5)

"At the end of the day, all of us need somewhere to rest. Somewhere to lay our bones. Even if it's in a land called Oz."

simon-adebisi-1024.jpg

Oz

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Wrestling is often described as a soap opera for men. But that's bullshit, Oz is the REAL soap opera for men. Following the lives of the men locked up or working in the Oswald State Penitentiary, Oz is packed with hundreds of unique memorable characters. Adebesi, Chris Keller, Busmalis, Poet, Kenny Wrangler, the O'Reilly's, the list goes on and on. Featuring a strong mix of extreme sex and violence, gang wars, religion and redemption Oz was the first ever original drama produced by HBO.

What do you say?

"There are plenty of flaws with OZ but none of them bothered me at all. It creates its own world and pretty much anything was acceptable. Fast paced and thrilling. Anything can happen."

"I used to watch this as a teenager and it was the coolest, most extreme TV series of the time, riveting and nasty."

"I caught this way back when it was on ch4 right after late night poker on friday nights/sat mornings.. Ad followed it all theway through to when ch4 screened the last few episodes in the run up to christmas one year at 4am... Why?!

Because it was mesmerising from all the prison cliques to corrupt officials through to the electrocution of cyril o'reily... Then theres the hanging of shirley bellinger... Plus adebesi fucking adebisi!"

"Shakespearean, American prison wonderment. Adebisi and his little guitar thing is the icing on the cake of the show that well and truly spurred American drama into brilliance."

"A grand, operatic Greek Tragedy played to the balconies, big and loud, but losing none of the emotional resonance. An enormous cast of memorable characters, with Adebisi as one of fiction's finest heels, and Beecher's transformation from meek, sore-bottomed victim to shit-smearing psycho the great underdog turn in television, just two examples from dozens of quotable, iconic motherfuckers.

Without Oz, HBO's first hour-long drama, and its fearless dive into grown-up story telling, with long-form story arcs, unflinching violence, and

• Awards Moderator

Third quote down on the 'What Do You Say' there has two major spoilers involving character deaths.

Also, the same thing that's been spoiler-tagged on my quote is there, intact and untagged, in the last quote on that section.

Just in case you wanted to tag the other spoilers... or untag my one! :)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

I've become less interested in this rundown as it's gone on now it's all about stuff that's new that I will never get round to watching and less about whether Juliet Bravo and Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit will make it.

All Favourites lists are invariably skewed to recent stuff, particularly when some of the voters are under 18. Half of this board probably weren't even born when Homicide was on, let alone Juliet Bravo.

Game Of Thrones won't make any Favourites lists in 20 years time, put it that way. Whereas, to be fair, both The Wire and The Sopranos will.