UKFF'S TOP 50 FAVORITE TV DRAMAS

LaGoosh

Re: American Horror Story. Regina and I have just finished watching first season of this. It's quite novel at the start seeing just how completely barmy things are with the amount of twists and what not, and they are brave with some of the characters they choose to bump off. However, although I'm not one* for sifting through shows for inconsistencies but some of them in this are pretty obvious. It's easy enough I guess to ignore them and get involved in the silliness but I was pretty fed up of the show by the end even though the final scene was pretty fucking cool and creepy. Can't see us rushing towards watching the second series.

*read: clever enough

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Paid Members

42)

"On the fringe, blood and bullets are the rule of law and if you're a man with convictions violence is inevitable."

sons-anarchy-27444_big.jpg

Sons Of Anarchy

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

This show about the legal and criminal activities of a outlaw Californian motorcycle club has quickly become one of US channel FX's biggest hits. A mix of new faces and reliable old hands such as Ron Pearlman and Katey Segal fill out the cast as they go through family issues, community problems, and dealing with various allies and rival criminal gangs. And as can be expected from Kurt Sutter, there is lots and lots of violence and nastiness.

What do you say?

"I love this show. Every main character has something that you find likeable and detestable about them at the same time. The evolution of Jax Teller from the first season is easy to empathise with, which is pretty crucial in making you try to understand the spot he finds himself in as he gets more deeply dug into the criminal life that he's desperately trying to get out of. I think the music choices used to tie things together for the closing scenes of some episodes are fantastic. Easily my favourite show."

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Moderators

I still don't know whether to give this show another go. I was loving it, and then they completely lost me with the whole Irish adventure. That was painfully shit.

But I have heard decent things about what has come since. Anyone here up for trying to persuade me that it's worth getting back in to? Telling me how badass Danny Trejo in it will probably do half the job for you (if he is indeed badass in it).

• Paid Members

The whole Ireland story arc was boring as sin, but you should stick with it, Chest. Once they're back in Charming it gets good again pretty quick. The finale for that season's one of the best hours of TV I've ever watched. And the following two seasons have been ace as well. Danny Trejo is badass and you get tranny Walton Goggins making an appearance!

sonsofanarchy_venus.jpg

Watch it.

Also, props to whoever else voted for Rescue Me. I still crack up whenever I think about Stupid Sean going sleepwalking.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme

• Moderators
The whole Ireland story arc was boring as sin, but you should stick with it, Chest. Once they're back in Charming it gets good again pretty quick. The finale for that season's one of the best hours of TV I've ever watched.

See I was waiting for ages for SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

Agent Staahl to get killed, and the payoff was worth it. I was chuffed to bits. But apart from that, the whole Deus Ex Machina neat tie up was a bit ludicrous, I thought

The Irish excursion was by far the weakest bit so far. The last series that's just aired was absolutely fantastic, the civil war between Clay and Jax. Plus, Jimmy Smits! Get back on board, Chest.

It didn't make my top 10 but happy to see it in here, as (Oirland aside) it's been a bloody fantastic series. Clay and Gemma are brilliant characters, and their relationship has kept the whole thing moving forward. Can't speak highly enough of Katey Sagal. well deserved her Golden Globe, she's been phenomenal. And is still incredibly hot.

I know people criticise it for its softness on swearing and the like, but there have been some moments in it that are amongst the most harrowing and graphic I've ever seen on telly. What happened to Tig's daughter was unwatchable. It's a hugely graphic series, it just doesn't do it all the time in every bit of dialogue.

• Paid Members

I was fucking gutted about

<-- click on 'spoiler' to show/hide the spoiler

Opie. And Piney.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

How are we doing spoilers in this thread? I guess anything is game for SoA since it's already been around for a while.

Edited by Nexus

• Awards Moderator
I was fucking gutted about

Opie. And Piney.

[close spoiler]

");document.close();

How are we doing spoilers in this thread? I guess anything is game for SoA since it's already been around for a while.

I was deliberately cagey in my comment. I think spoilers should not be open here, let's clearly mark 'em up. After all one of the things that should happen with this thread is you go "oh yeah, I've always wanted to catch that..." and it's always nice to have as much left unspoiled as possible.

Apart from telling everyone to skip Sons of Oirland.

I keep getting caught out by IMDB. You watch a not-new season to find out what else so-and-so-has-been-in. You then see the programme runs for 56 episodes, and they're in it for say, 10 episodes... :(

• Moderators

Regarding spoilers:

We are doing no spoilers for anything (within reason). It's not hard to use tags and it doesn't matter how long the show has been around. You can talk a bit about stuff but be sensible, and use vague language that won't ruin shit for people but still means you can have a conversation that isn't utterly obscurred by spoiler tags.

In short, exercise some common sense and consideration.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

I found Sons of Anarchy very underwhelming if I'm honest. I suppose I was expecting something grittier and more realistic in line with the Hunter S Thompson book on Hells Angels rather than a soap opera with tattoos, montages and motorcycles.

As brilliant as Ron Pearlman and Katy Sagal undoubtedly are in this, their brilliance is sucked into the black hole of the character of Jax and his girlfriend, who are no only intensely annoying every time they are on screen, but are so poorly acted. I never made it past the second season.

They are definitely the weak link, mainly due as you say to the actors. But they are necessary as the whole overarching story is about their transformation into Clay and Gemma. I find you have to just put up with them. Jax gets better in later series, but I'm afraid Tara is just awful. Strange, as the actress was quite good in Mad Men.

There's also only so much Curtis Stigers a man can take!

Going back to Homeland, really loved the first season. Two brilliant central performances (well supported by Mandy Patinkin) and buckets of tension. However, I think all that tension just dissipated once we knew

Brody had been turned

[close spoiler]

");document.close(); and the second season seemed a bit ridiculous. Would have been a brilliant one season deal but I think it's going to drag on now and become a bit shit.

• Paid Members

41)

"With a little understanding, you can find the perfect blend."

NeighboursLouHarold.jpg

Neighbours

Voted number 1? Yes.

What's it about?

Lou! Jim Robbinson! Karl Kennedy! Toadie! Harold Bishop! Scott, Charlene and Mike! It's fucking Neighbours for heaven's sake!

What do you say?

"This has been a tough one to justify because my head says its crap but the thing is, I love Neighbours. There I said it. Some times I feel like being a Neighbours fan is even more niche than a Wrestling fan these days. Neighbours is absolutely the only soap opera I can stand that doesn't involve wrestlers. It's just so dopey and charming. A lot of the time the problems that plague Erinsborough are as goofy and mundane as real life. Remember when that stupid dog went missing and Harold got pissy because a small child came into the Coffee Shop without shoes on? It's all part of the charm. There's almost nothing cutting edge about Neighbours and there never has been. That might sound like a burial but its all part of the charm. I've even stuck through it when it makes no sense. Any long time male viewer of Neighbours will openly and whole heartedly admit it has the edge of all other crappy soap operas, I've fallen in love with many of the ladies to grace Ramsay street. That's how they suck you in and that's how they keep you. Here's the thing. I think Neighbours works on a sort of Wrestlecrap level about as much as it does as being genuinely worth watching. Fucking hell, I nearly die from laughing every time I watch Drew fall of that damn horse. Also I do a pretty great Madge impression. Paul Robinson needs a special mention as he is an absolute hero as top heel. I'm off to Amazon to buy the remaining Neighbours DVD sets I don't have yet. I tell you there's nowt better than getting the beers in and making up your own Neighbours drinking game."

Clips!

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Yes! I didn't vote for it in the end, but I'm glad a few of you did. Neighbours has had some bloody great moments, certainly the greatest soap of all-time for me. Launched so many careers too, whereas Eastenders is the place to go when your career is already dead.

Edited by PunkStep