WWECW

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
Early on it was a bit of a mess for reasons outside their control, as RVD and Angle looked like they were meant to be the focal point but then one was busted for drugs and the other got fired. The prestige of the ECW title kind of dwindled after that: Chavo as champion, for example, or EZEKIEL JACKSON being the last ever champion. Eventually it was just a pretty good C-show which happened to have a title attached, much like NXT these days.

The thing I most remember about its later era is what a big deal Jack Swagger seemed. That must have been some old-school ECW "accentuate the positives" booking there as he's never impressed me since.

Where the hell is Big Zeke? Is he still injured?

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was always an enjoyable hour of TV,except for Chavo and Kane's championship reigns.

Kofi was interesting (to me) for one of the few times of his career when debuted on ECW as a Jamaican lad after those fun vignettes.Tony Atlas as the laughing track to that Washington lads chat show was good value aswell.Big Daddy V was cool while he lasted.

Mike Adamle on commentary was fun too,just for how horrendously bad he was at it.Tiffany's weekly announcements as ECW GM were comical just for the fact that she talked like she had just learned how to speak 10 minutes before they went on the air.

• Paid Members

I loved heel Big Zeke. I loved his urinage, I loved his single facial expression, I loved that he seemed to hate everything. I loved him most as Brian Kendricks actually quite well spoken goon actually

• Paid Members

I have to agree with the love for ECW from 2008 onwards. Because it was so underlooked it allowed for stuff to develop under the radar, and that meant a really good mix of veterans and young guys fighting in simple, well booked feuds. In many ways, it was almost the blueprint for what we have now with NXT, which has rapidly become one of my favourite wrestling shows, and it couldn't have done that without shedding the stigma of the original ECW.

I know I may be the only one to say this but WWECW was really good at the beginning with Heyman as the brains behind it all. He pushed 4 Main Eventers in RVD, ANGLE, SABU and SHOW, he had some strong upper midcarders in Dreamer, Sandman, Ballz and Hardcore Holly, some enhancement talent veterans in Credible, Richards, Roadkill, FBI amd the other ECW origimals + most importantly he was building new stars in Cm Punk, "the new Mike Awesome" Test, Mike Knox, Kevin Thorn etc.

He had like his own small indy fed and he was doing the best with whatever WWE didn't need. He reinvented the veterans, he gave the young guys some direction and it still felt like ECW.

The originals were still marketable in my opinion but WWE lost interest because they didn't look like "superstars". They weren't supposed to look like superstars, they were some hardcore wrestlers + some good young athletes. They were the new ECW.

I did find it weird that time they traded The Sandman to RAW and flirted with the idea of Sandman and Jim Duggan forming a team. It's a shame they didn't follow through with that. It wouldn't have set the world on fire, but they would have been a good jobber team to build the others up.

This thread reminds me that the WWE is much better off without the Brand Extension, right now.

I did find it weird that time they traded The Sandman to RAW and flirted with the idea of Sandman and Jim Duggan forming a team. It's a shame they didn't follow through with that. It wouldn't have set the world on fire, but they would have been a good jobber team to build the others up.

This thread reminds me that the WWE is much better off without the Brand Extension, right now.

I seem to remember the rumour at the time was Vince wanted Sandman to be a mid card heel on Raw working with young up and comers, fuck knows why, pretty sure the bloke himself would admit he's not exactly the right type of worker for that role

Big Zeke definitely had potential before he turned into smiley baby face guy. On ECW he had a good presence and he had some great matches with Christian, especially the one at Royal Rumble. I thought he could have been decent.

I know he's a bit of an easy target but Matt Hardy was on fine form on ECW too. I loved WWECW for the most part, plus there always seemed to be a new face every couple of months. And lets not forget Marcus Cor Von!

Archived