WWECW

Devon Malcolm

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Benoyt! Fucking Hell.

No idea what the lad is on about. ECW was a great little show in giving people minor angles to work that wouldn't get them on the big shows. I love hour long/SNME length wrestling shows. Much preferred.

I have to agree with the love for ECW from around 2008 onwards. Moved into our then house with the missus then and after getting Sky got back into watching WWE after a few years of not really following it. ECW was the most consistent show around that time, I really enjoyed it. There was a great mix of older and younger talent that produced some cracking matches. I remember Goldust and Sheamus having a nice little feud and even Tommy Dreamer's matches were enjoyable.

I'd rather not find you posting anywhere.

But go on, humour me. What should WWECW have been then?

Good response Butch! Dont think you will be winning the humour award this year kidda

I wouldnt have put it only telly, the annual ECW PPV was enough for me, would have concentrated more on Raw amd Smackdown, 2007 was a bit of a stinker for the WWE.

• Paid Members

Good response Butch! Dont think you will be winning the humour award this year kidda

It was more factual than funny.

IMO it was gash.

Would you think that if it had been exactly the same but called something else?

Brad Armstrong, Rodney Mack and Marty Jannetty were on the ECW house shows as well, I think.

Marty Jannetty didn't, but Mack and Armstrong did. Eric Escobar and The Basham Brothers were on the house shows a lot too.

Results from the first and last ECW house shows for those interested.

Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill

CM Punk defeated Stevie Richards

Mike Knox defeated Balls Mahoney

Sabu defeated CW Anderson

The Sandman defeated Justin Credible

The Big Show pinned Tommy Dreamer

Rob Van Dam pinned Kurt Angle

Brad Armstrong defeated Eric Escobar

Stevie Richards defeated Rodney Mack

Little Guido defeated Tony Mamaluke

Kevin Thorn pinned Balls Mahoney

CM Punk defeated Mike Knox

Sabu & The Sandman defeated Matt Striker & Test

Rob Van Dam defeated Paul Heyman

• Moderators

Looks like it'll just be 3rd or 4th again for me this year. :(

• Paid Members

You've probably done enough for the Dolt award, though, Keeno.

The inaugural run of WWECW had some highlights like RVD VS Hardcore Holly, The New Breed VS ECW Originals Extreme Rules match and one of my favourite segments Macho Libre, but there really isn't any question that the show hugely improved when they de-ECW-ized it or as Butch rightfully put it "gotten the stink of the original ECW off it". I think the main problem was, and I know this is obvious but, people were expecting Sabu VS The Sandman in a whack the other bloke with a cane match for ten minutes and almost lost their shit when The Miz showed up. Still as most people have said WWECW The Later Years had some belting matches. Mark Henry, William Regal and Goldust had career resurgences as well as it giving guys like Miz, Morrison, Sheamus and Punk amongst others a chance to develop before getting up to the big time.

Matt Hardy and Mark Henry had a belter of a match on ECW not long after No Mercy IIRC. I really wish I'd watched more of ECW when it was on. I think a few of them have come up on "The 100 Matches You Should Have Seen" thread already. Hopefully there's a few more to pop up.

Benoyt! Fucking Hell.

No idea what the lad is on about. ECW was a great little show in giving people minor angles to work that wouldn't get them on the big shows. I love hour long/SNME length wrestling shows. Much preferred.

Yes Benoyt, ya know, one of the best of all time?

No idea what your on about lad

It was more factual than funny.

Your on fire tonight Chilli, living up to your name i see

IMO it was gash.

Would you think that if it had been exactly the same but called something else?

Brad Armstrong, Rodney Mack and Marty Jannetty were on the ECW house shows as well, I think.

Marty Jannetty didn't, but Mack and Armstrong did. Eric Escobar and The Basham Brothers were on the house shows a lot too.

Results from the first and last ECW house shows for those interested.

Little Guido & Tony Mamaluke defeated Danny Doring & Roadkill

CM Punk defeated Stevie Richards

Mike Knox defeated Balls Mahoney

Sabu defeated CW Anderson

The Sandman defeated Justin Credible

The Big Show pinned Tommy Dreamer

Rob Van Dam pinned Kurt Angle

Brad Armstrong defeated Eric Escobar

Stevie Richards defeated Rodney Mack

Little Guido defeated Tony Mamaluke

Kevin Thorn pinned Balls Mahoney

CM Punk defeated Mike Knox

Sabu & The Sandman defeated Matt Striker & Test

Rob Van Dam defeated Paul Heyman

Maybe if it was called "An Hour of Chillis Replies" i would have been an avid viewer. Seriously tho it just wernt my bag

You've probably done enough for the Dolt award, though, Keeno.

No Keeno here Devon? Bowling wide of the stumps again lad

Early on it was a bit of a mess for reasons outside their control, as RVD and Angle looked like they were meant to be the focal point but then one was busted for drugs and the other got fired. The prestige of the ECW title kind of dwindled after that: Chavo as champion, for example, or EZEKIEL JACKSON being the last ever champion. Eventually it was just a pretty good C-show which happened to have a title attached, much like NXT these days.

The thing I most remember about its later era is what a big deal Jack Swagger seemed. That must have been some old-school ECW "accentuate the positives" booking there as he's never impressed me since.

Archived