The Worst of TNA

IANdrewDiceClay

I'd have to go with Jeff-on-drugs being sent out for the main event. That was a proper all-time low.

Another bizarre one was Jeff Jarrett beating Raven for the heavyweight championship, on a house show. Wasn't even televised or PPV. I'm no fan of Raven, but they never used his popularity properly at all.

And there was also a ballgown match involving Booker T's wife that was pure wrestlecrap.

My personal least favourite stuff was definitely the Pacman Jones incident, culminating in a "match" where he wasn't legally able to fight or throw fists, and so the finish IIRC involved him pushing someone into someone else. An abomination.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Anybody mentioned the time they spent ages building up the return of the original MEM to battle Immortal/Fortune, only to let Nash go back to the WWE and sabotaging their big angle, which led to Fortune turning face which didn't really make much sense if you had watched TNA for a couple of months previously. Dixie Carter at her finest.

More recent was the "Kato" they used (or mis-used,depends on how you view it)

losing CM Punk

Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I think it's absolutely mental that people want to criticize the use of Okada at the time considering he was a complete nobody in Japanese terms before he went home. Utter no name and not really a proven commodity in terms of match quality. What are you supposed to do with limited access to a foreign guy who has no buzz but some talent that precisely NOBODY would sit up and go "fuck me!" if he showed up on Impact? Put him in the ring with the Doug Williams and Alex Shelleys of the world and see if you get some good matches, which is what they did.

As for Punk, he and Dinero were completely marginal guys in TNA at the time he was let go. Yes, he was making some noise having a good character-driven feud with Raven across the indies, but losing CM Punk in early 2004 meant fuck all to TNA. I don't particularly care for the forthcoming "yeah but look how good and what a big name he became" argument either, because had he remained in TNA, he wouldn't have become that guy. Sorry.

All the good shit has been taken so I'm going to go with Jim "show me the money" Cornette trying to strip LAX of the tag team Title's for saying mean things about America (or something equally stupid the exact reason escapes me right now) which was really fucking lame.

Edit: beer money lose to the British Invasion in a cage match by disqualification.

^

This 100%

Was Russo booking around that time by chance?

I guess I meant putting him in that god awful Kato outfit rather than how they used him in ring wise

I make you right on the Punk thing though

But losing him is just One of many talents they have let slip through their hands regardless of how they would have treated them once signed

That's a whole other story

• Paid Members
Another bizarre one was Jeff Jarrett beating Raven for the heavyweight championship, on a house show. Wasn't even televised or PPV.

Wasn't that for Border City Wrestling or whatever that promotion was that Scott D'Amore was running?

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I would like to put forward the REVERSE BATTLE ROYAL from Bound for Glory 2007.

One of the dumbest match concepts I've ever seen. The rules were as follows..

16 Wrestlers start outside the ring

The first 8 to enter the ring advance to an over the top rope Battle Royal

Final 2 appear in a one fall match

It's on the tube...the 'reverse' portion is absolutely woeful

P1 http://youtu.be/rKlNp7frkGc

P2 http://youtu.be/UlcaPrZH_lY

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I would like to put forward the REVERSE BATTLE ROYAL from Bound for Glory 2007.

One of the dumbest match concepts I've ever seen. The rules were as follows..

16 Wrestlers start outside the ring

The first 8 to enter the ring advance to an over the top rope Battle Royal

Final 2 appear in a one fall match

It's on the tube...the 'reverse' portion is absolutely woeful

P1 http://youtu.be/rKlNp7frkGc

P2 http://youtu.be/UlcaPrZH_lY

First time I've seen that. The reverse bit is bloody stupid. Why would two guys be fighting on the apron to get in when there's only one man in there already, both just go in.

Not a bad little match apart from that. Kaz's elimination was awesome.

That's how you close a go-home show for a PPV.

I was at that impact taping, and had a sign that said 'Foley is a joke' which got took off me by TNA security just before that segment was taped and after the show Mick came out and asked me why I thought that. After I told him how could I think he's anything but a joke after seeing that he just held his head down and walked off. True story.

Did any good ever come from Foley's TNA run? It seemed to do nothing but damage his reputation from what I can make you.

I enjoyed his title run. I thought the way he won it and subsequently refused to defend it was quite good. There was a decent interview segment with JB asking when he would be defending the belt and he said "BFG" when Borash stated that was 3 months away, Foley replied "No, BFG 2010". I thought that could have played out well, but then he ended up losing it in the King of the Mountain match which was a waste.

• Paid Members

If it was from Bound For Glory, I think that was the match where lost all of his previous storytelling ability for some reason. Maybe Abyss is really convincing. I believe the first spot in the match was one of them fell from the scaffold and they worked down from that.

Then Daffney smashed her head off the floor falling through a barbed wire board and the production team ... well take a look for yourself:

EVERY CAMERA MISSED IT! There is no footage of Daffney almost killing herself for the drama of the match. Pointless endangerment of a wrestlers health right there.

Archived