The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

first WWE i've watched since before the Elimination Chamber, ive been following results but haven't seen anything, liked what i saw and it primed me for Mania (which i was gonna watch regardless).

I've been missing out on all these supposed great 6 man/multiple team tag matches going on but loved the 8 man tag, just chaotic/entertaining shit.

Thought all the main matches for the Mania got decent treatment too, i have zero interest in Batista/Orton and they just seemed like a side-piece of the HHH/Bryan stuff but with one of those two involved it makes it interesting enough for me.

2 Diva's matches on one Raw though? fuck that.

Question about the 30 man Andre The Giant Battle Royale, have they announced the 30 people in it? or is there places for a few surprises on the night?

The 27 announced participants are: Alberto Del Rio, Big E, Big Show, Brad Maddox, Brodus Clay, Christian, Cody Rhodes, Damien Sandow, Darren Young, Dolph Ziggler, Fandango, Drew McIntyre, Goldust, The Great Khali, Heath Slater, Jinder Mahal, Justin Gabriel, Kofi Kingston, Mark Henry, The Miz, Rey Mysterio, Sheamus, R-Truth, Santino Marella, Sin Cara, Titus O'Neil, and Zack Ryder.

There are still 3 spots not filled, but that could become 4 if Christian doesn't get cleared after his concussion from last week

Edited by KingOfMetal

I've never laughed quite so hard at Raw as during the Authority's video (with the genius Steph voiceover). The thought of a thousand Internet hearts breaking was too much. Cor, if I wasn't already buying it, I'd have given them my money just for that. Genius.

I loved the video, I thought it was so clearly tongue in cheek that even the "Triple H buries everyone!" brigade would see the funny side. Sadly not, my Facebook feed this morning was filled with people whining about Triple H putting himself over and memes of him holding a shovel. I love wrestling but some fans need to lighten up a little.

• Moderators

The HHH thing has always been half true though. He really did bury the shit out of people for years, during that period when every Raw opened with a droning-uh twenty minute promo-uh. Just because he makes self-aware winks to it now doesn't mean that never happened for real. That video opened on Booker T, so we could all remember the feud built around heel HHH being openly racist to face Booker, using words like "you people," and then beating him clean with his finisher, and taking ages to cover him at fucking Wrestlemania. Tee hee!

Historically he's basically changed the story to where it's now "ha ha workrate nerds crying about stuff! cheetos, mom's basement, virgins!" rather than "remember those years when he was a proper dick?"

Edited by Astro Hollywood

• Paid Members

Yeah, you're not wrong. It's shitty facts with the consolation prize of it being woven into a great narrative with the perfect guy to conquer burial mountain. I'm enjoying this for what it is, and the video did make me chuckle, but there's a bit of uncomfortable truth behind it.

• Moderators

He is the heel though.. as long as he gets his comeuppance it's fine. If Booker had won the match then it would have all just been a decent build, no?

Wrestling is good when it plays on real shit and the emotions like this, especially with your smart mania crowds. He can't help trying to be a bit cool even when he is the baddie, though can he?

It's all the symmetry of the 0 Mania's isn't it. HHH will be the biggest defeated loser to the grrr pro wrestler on Sunday after years of being a bastard, just like he was at 20, and just like Hogan was for Bret at 10 by the virtue of fucking off and letting him be the man for a bit. Ideally though, Bryan doesn't end up the victim of a screwjob or the perpetrator of a homicide between now and WM40. The odds of a good life after this aren't really in his favour, he should enjoy Sunday.

• Moderators
He is the heel though.. as long as he gets his comeuppance it's fine. If Booker had won the match then it would have all just been a decent build, no?

Well yeah, but that's the point, he didn't. It'd be like if Last House on the Left (or the exploitation movie of your choice) had ended before the raped, beaten and abused woman took revenge against her attackers. There was no catharsis; it just served like ego wank, and in that specific instance, from a guy who was wearing an Iron Cross on his gear, super questionably.

The constant, and really overused B+ player stuff, a bitter reference to something Meltzer called him over a decade ago, shows how deeply he really does care about this stuff, having never made himself into a genuine icon, regardless of how dominating he was in the ring. It mostly makes for good TV, but is pretty wearing when it was happening for real for so many years.

Edited by Astro Hollywood

The great thing is that his reign of terror built to those big comeuppance matches where he put over Benoit at the time and then Batista a year later (and Cena a year after that), but he's so fucking good as a bastard that he's got the pervs forgetting those payoffs and still crying their virgin eyes out in 2014 like he went straight from WrestleMania 19 to WrestleMania 30. The video worked perfectly on a purely surface level as well, with Hunter reducing his previous flash in the pan victims to buzzwords and likening them to Bryan. I'd never have thought of using a video like that, but it was genius. Gets him so much more heat online than a million beatdowns on Bryan would.

The table is set so perfectly for WrestleMania. CM Punk walking off the job was an absolute godsend.

Edited by King Pitcos

I wouldn't say he's not a genuine icon. He's not on the same level as Hogan, Rock and Austin but he's probably on a par with the guys below that top level. If not on a working level at least on a profile level. Unless you meant within the general publics consciousness in which case you're right.

• Moderators
I wouldn't say he's not a genuine icon. He's not on the same level as Hogan, Rock and Austin but he's probably on a par with the guys below that top level. If not on a working level at least on a profile level. Unless you meant within the general publics consciousness in which case you're right.

Yeah, that's what I meant. For all his hard work and politics, and being at the top for so long, he just didn't have that quality where non-fans have any idea of who he is.