The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

AJ’s shoot~! promo was the worst thing he’s ever done in the company. Real names~! met by deathly silence. Straight out of 2000 WCW. Plus, should they really be highlighting how old and shit Taker is when there’s every chance him and AJ will have a stinker that proves everything he says to be correct?

Not to mention how the old and shit Undertaker wiped his arse with AJ twice in two weeks with one move.

• Paid Members

Ridiculous that they did the spider reveal then had the cage get squashed, and presumably never mentioned again. They should have had McIntyre squash the cage before ever revealing what was in it, have Rowan distraught, and then write the whole thing off. At least that way it came to an end without having a shitty reveal that seemed purpose-built to show up on "comedy" highlight reels in five years' time.

9 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Obviously the plan wasn’t for drew to murder the spider this week. They did the reveal. They thought it would work. It got shit on. They were embarrassed. They then decided to kill the gimmick.

If only they had as swift of a reaction to other things in their product that people shit on.

• Paid Members
Just now, Snitsky's back acne said:

If only they had as swift of a reaction to other things in their product that people shit on.

They very often do. But it's not all as black and white as that. Like the Lana/Rusev/Lashley stuff. Personally, I thought it was TV death and it got shit on all over. But it was a staple of the last segment on Raw for a good while and all over their social media. So something was giving them the impression that, despite the critical reaction, that was doing numbers.

15 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They very often do. But it's not all as black and white as that. Like the Lana/Rusev/Lashley stuff. Personally, I thought it was TV death and it got shit on all over. But it was a staple of the last segment on Raw for a good while and all over their social media. So something was giving them the impression that, despite the critical reaction, that was doing numbers.

It did really well on YouTube as well (assuming you weren’t lumping that with social media). Whether that was just people watching third hour stuff later after checking after two hours or not, who knows, but in base terms, it was doing some of the best numbers out of anything on the show

• Paid Members

The craziest thing was how the announcers couldn't decide between themselves whether last week's shit reveal of the spider had even happened. Lawler was banging on about being scared of spiders whilst the other two were still talking as if we didn't know what was in the cage, as if last week was a dream sequence or something. Truly dementia story-telling.

The saddest thing is that the shitty spider had a longer, more elaborate build up than the majority of this year's Wrestlemania matches.

Edited by Supremo

13 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

At least Earthquake was a heel and you could play it off as him being a dick or afraid of Snakes (everyone that Jake feuded with turns out was afraid of Snakes). As @HarmonicGenerator said, Drew’s supposed to be the face and killed Rowan’s spider for no reason, making him a bit of a sociopath. Why the hell he’s dicking about with Erik Rowan when the biggest match of his life is less than 4 weeks away is another question entirely.

Hopefully next week he'll be smiling and acting like a decent bloke, as all good babyfaces should (this week).

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

Hopefully next week he'll be smiling and acting like a decent bloke, as all good babyfaces should (this week).

This is a completely fair point and highlights their dilemma. There's barely a week on here when someone doesn't complain about a babyface being too nice OR behaving like a heel. It's entirely subjective. 

I do think it's better to have some edge. The best babyface in WWE is Becky Lynch and she's a bit of a prick. The biggest babyface in AEW is Adam Page and he's also a bit of a prick. Both are vulnerable and others are bigger pricks but they still have an attitude about them. No one is Bob Backlund these days. Nor have WWE had any success with anyone that clean cut since.

Not every babyface can be the same but everything tells us their audience are more bothered about people who kick arse rather than kissing babys.

My issue was more that the mysyery spider angle has always been wank. 

(I do also think @HarmonicGenerator was just having a laugh.)

• Awards Moderator
57 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

This is a completely fair point and highlights their dilemma. There's barely a week on here when someone doesn't complain about a babyface being too nice OR behaving like a heel. It's entirely subjective. 

I do think it's better to have some edge. The best babyface in WWE is Becky Lynch and she's a bit of a prick. The biggest babyface in AEW is Adam Page and he's also a bit of a prick. Both are vulnerable and others are bigger pricks but they still have an attitude about them. No one is Bob Backlund these days. Nor have WWE had any success with anyone that clean cut since.

Not every babyface can be the same but everything tells us their audience are more bothered about people who kick arse rather than kissing babys.

My issue was more that the mysyery spider angle has always been wank. 

(I do also think @HarmonicGenerator was just having a laugh.)

Correct - I wasn’t being totally serious. And while the act of killing an animal is never going to make me cheer for someone, I accept that it’s a storied part of wrestling tradition. Earthquake kills snakes, Bossman kills chihuahuas, JR kills puppies by the bagful. Now Drew kills spiders.

I am quite particular in the kind of babyface that I can really get behind. I’ve never liked the goody goody smiley ones, but I tend not to like the cares-about-nothing ones either (I’ve said on here many times that the only time I liked Stone Cold was when he was heel). My favourite babyface performances of the last year were Kofi Kingston against Daniel Bryan, Drake Maverick against Mike Kanellis, Tyler Bate against WALTER and Jungle Boy Jack Perry against Chris Jericho. My kind of babyface is the underdog facing off against someone bigger, meaner or more experienced than them. Drew can’t really be that - and I’m not saying he has to be, there are different kinds of babyfaces - but I do think at the same time different people cheer wrestlers on for different reasons. And, without joking, killing animals is definitely not a reason for me, personally, to cheer him.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

10 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

Yeah but this is the same guy who said of the Gulak/Bryan match 'I guess Bryan has been watching Zack Sabre Jr matches' (or words to that effect)  

Obvious Danielson worked matches like that for ages but it did seem patterned closely to a Sabre match than usual, probably because he had someone in there on his approximate technical level. Whether right or wrong, I don't think his analysis of that match means he can't make a fair extrapolation on the viewing stats.

• Paid Members

When was the last time we had a Royal Rumble winner that felt as cold and stale as Charlotte? This whole deal stinks of them giving her this spot for no other reason than she was promised it last year.

I fully expect she’ll beat Rhea at Wrestlemania but it’s absolutely the wrong decision. If anything, their chances of beating Dynamite on Wednesdays nosedives if Charlotte becomes a full-time NXT character. She’s death right now, no matter how many times she goes, “whoo!” for an easy reaction.

I’m hoping AJ’s promo leads to the American Bad Ass Undertaker returning. Might as well at this point, right?

Edited by Supremo