The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Time definitely hasn't been kind to him - and I think that's because he was never a classic promo or a classic match without bells and whistles - but I totally bought Edge being on top, at the time. And regardless of how he got there, I think it's slightly revisionist to think he only succeeded because business was in the pits. 2006-2008, his peak, were boom years compared to what we've got nowadays. At the time we were still busy comparing Raw overnights to the Attitude Era to really appreciate it, but things were in very good shape for those years. And Edge was as bankable a heel hand as you could get for a lot of that time. They'd be able to quite comfortably put the belt on him when your top babyface got injured, got busted for pot etc and the show would go on as normal. His main event with 'Taker had great heat going in and managed to stand up for itself on a card that also had Flair's retirement and Mayweather.  

He's not mount rushmore, but WWE don't even bother trying to sell him as such really. He's also the first big guy to get a ludicrous amount of titles that you can't really remember, and that's perhaps oversold him in peoples imaginations somewhat. Take 2-3 of his best world title runs and leave it at that and the whole Edge story would have made more sense. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members

Did Edge ever have a sustained programme with CM Punk? I suppose he would have retired before the whole Money in the Bank 2011 run for Punk, but I don't recall much beyond vanilla babyface Punk winning his first world title from him in 2008. I was never a huge Edge fan, but I would have been weirdly up for that feud. 

Edge was no Cena, Austin or Hogan. He was a Shawn Michaels/Bret Hart type, where you put the years in and work your way up to the very top but some people who’ve been watching from the start are determined to still see you as the tag team guy.

He never had a real feud with CM Punk. Apart from the cash-in on Raw, their other interactions came during the Punk-Chavo ECW feud when Chavo was aligned with Edge and Vickie... and then Edge and Punk were involved with each other again in 2009 a bit, between the draft and Punk’s heel turn.

• Paid Members

Always found Edge a bit over-rated. Now everyone has jumped on to that bandwagon and exaggerated it, he's under-rated.

Always found Christian a bit under-rated. Now everyone has jumped on to that bandwagon and exaggerated it, he's over-rated.

25 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Always found Edge a bit over-rated. Now everyone has jumped on to that bandwagon and exaggerated it, he's under-rated.

Always found Christian a bit under-rated. Now everyone has jumped on to that bandwagon and exaggerated it, he's over-rated.

Heh, I get a bit of this. 

He was brilliant as a pissant heel in the early days of the brand split.  By 2005 he turned into a proper also ran who could have done a quick bit of business with Cena - maybe taking the title off him for a month or two - before he opted to big fish small pond it in TNA. He was fantastic against Orton, too, in his "my mate retired so here I am" run in 2011.

I can buy him being the more entertaining of the two but in terms of who deserved to be the bigger star, it was still always going to be Edge. 

And I can't forgive the shudder generating hand claps he used to do to get the crowd going at the start of the matches. Or his mental yellow tan. 

• Paid Members

Not sure how Rey Mysterio isn't dead. The sunset flip on the ladder that didn't go well was bad but the complete miss on the rana that meant he just took a powerbomb off the swinging title holder was fucking hideous. Scary stuff.

Wasn't a bad show by any means but not a go-home for the Rumble sort of show. Best stuff was Seth's new group brawling at the beginning and then Seth & Buddy winning the tag titles but that felt out of nowhere. Should have taken this week to set up Viking Raiders in opposition and then done it next week at the earliest. Still, Raiders as collateral damage is no issue, they're shite. KO and Joe winning the tag belts could be great down the line.

Brock segment was a retread but at least Ricochet wasn't written as a pussy this week. Orton/McIntyre was fine. Becky/Asuka progression was fine too. Mojo winning the 24/7 belt gives it a bit of a different dynamic that it needs.

Rey and Andrade was the hook for the show and didn't really deliver. The two big botches didn't help but two ad breaks had killed it anyway. Humberto standing ringside in a mask while Zelina screwed over his "hero" only to do his run-in straight after is daft but typical pro-wrestling writing

Does this Lana/Rusev stuff do numbers? I know the show traditionally dies in the third hour. Do they have evidence that people hang around for it? It's the last slot every week.

I'm all for Murphy getting a push but I was a bit confused that AOP weren't the ones to win the titles, considering they're actually a tag team. I was hoping they'd go for more of an Undisputed Era dynamic, not that I'd want Seth to become champion again but at least have their dominance spread throughout the divisions. Strange, but I'd definitely be up for a Joe/Owens tag title run too so maybe it'll be okay in the end.

Yeah, the Ladder Match wasn't as good as it could've been with those two guys, and the messy spots didn't help.

Nice to see Ricochet standing up for Brock but I still wish he was better on the mic.

Everything else was fairly okay. Nothing spectacular but the Rumble sells itself really. 

• Paid Members

Watching this show, and knowing how Heyman books, I’m half expecting someone like Matt Riddle or Aleister Black to get the mega-rub by eliminating Brock. I’d be all for it. 

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Watching this show, and knowing how Heyman books, I’m half expecting someone like Matt Riddle or Aleister Black to get the mega-rub by eliminating Brock. I’d be all for it. 

They seem to be setting it up so that whoever wins the Rumble is Brock's opponent. Eliminating Brock doing so would really cement it. Drew McIntyre needs that rub. Surely it's his time?

7 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’m still hoping they have Goldberg and Riddle as surprise entries so that they can get their little beef out of their systems by going hammer & tongs for a couple of minutes. Riddle should’ve been calling himself Broberg for the last month to build it, lazy sod

• Paid Members

I get the impression the person who eliminates Brock will be Brock’s Mania opponent, with Brock likely returning ten or fifteen minutes later and eliminating them, allowing someone else win the Rumble itself and challenge Bray. Makes sense to make two stars and set up both Mania main events in the same match.

The only X factor for me are those recent NXT ratings. I wonder if Vince is going to panic again, realising the only thing that gave him a consistent lead over AEW was putting NXT over the whole roster, meaning he’s going to put someone from NXT over strong again. How many millions extra do you think it’d cost to get Brock to go to Full Sail on Wednesdays for a few months? And would Vince be willing to pony up?

Edited by Supremo

On the AOP front - somebody has to beat Owens and Joe when they beat Rollins and Murphy, they'll get them then.

As for who eliminates Brock, it's gotta be Drew. The fact they scripted Drew to talk about main eventing Mania says it all to me. He'll eliminate Brock, Brock gets pissed, batters him and throws him out as revenge, feud starts from there.

• Paid Members

Has a Wrestler ever looked so disinterested at coming down the ramp for a match then Matt Hardy did last night? Dressed like early 00's Hardys, throwing up the V3 hand and doing the delete motion as well, but he looked almost pissed off for having to come out. I bet the 1st March cannot happen soon enough for him 

15 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

On the AOP front - somebody has to beat Owens and Joe when they beat Rollins and Murphy, they'll get them then.

As for who eliminates Brock, it's gotta be Drew. The fact they scripted Drew to talk about main eventing Mania says it all to me. He'll eliminate Brock, Brock gets pissed, batters him and throws him out as revenge, feud starts from there.

And has potentially 2 PPVs and a Saudi Show to get through* before getting to Wrestlemania. That’s a hell of a lot to get through before the payoff. Even if Brock’s not there all the time, what do you do with Drew in the meantime?

* Not confirmed yet whether or not Saudi Show has replaced Fastlane or not