The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Best thing I can say about Raw at the moment is that I can imagine sitting down and watching this show. If I lived in the States or it was on a Friday night like the old days.

Opener made me chuckle. Got to be the deadest crowd to ever chant "This is awesome". Love that Orton's inability to cut an exciting promo is just part of his gimmick now.

Excrutiating line from the Duplicole: "If this was the Royal Rumble, Mojo Rawley would be eliminated". Hit me over the head with a hammer, why don't you?

Gotta love Heyman and Lesnar riling a dead crowd up. Gotta love R-Truth. Gotta love a John Cena hint? Gotta love that kick-in. Good seg.

Fuck me, this Rusev/Lashley stuff will never end.

Decent Asuka/Becky contract signing. I think it wossibly better on paper than in execution, especially considering the crowd didn't react like you'd want but a good effort. I love a green mist angle. Any green mist angle.

Another great hook for next week with the US Title ladder match. Gave it loads of time and gave both guys promo time and a direction to get their teeth into. Very good stuff.

Good matches all over the show. They are so proud of that "Monday Night Messiah" name. It's good but typical of them to absolutely hit it to death. Credit to them though, I thought when they came out that I'm sick of three man groups everywhere and this needed another guy underneath in the group. They got it spot on.

• Paid Members

I think Smackdown being such a bland, nothing-happening, directionless show helps elevate Raw in that you can at least see where they’re going, what they’re trying to achieve and who their chosen ones are. The stuff with Aleister Black and Buddy Murphy in particular is a million miles away from when both guys just existed on the Blue Brand last year. There’s a conscious effort to truly get them over and I applaud the way they’ve gone about it. Black has won decisively every time to position him as the man, and now they’ve created a great offshoot to keep Murphy in the mix and give him the rub with Seth’s great heel act. Good stuff.

The three hours remains an absolute killer though. Even the best show stretched over such a long period of time is going to be a chore to watch. Even for as fun as the main event was, I can’t imagine many people sticking around when fucking Eric Rowan’s music hit at the two and a half hour mark.

Highlight of the show was Kevin Owens doing Parkour on the ramp. What an amazing spot. Hopefully they replay that until the end of time.

Surely they’re not going to have Charlotte win the Rumble? Watching this show the last few weeks, it feels like an inevitability despite how fucking boring and shit she’s been for the longest time. I’m hoping Heyman’s already bagsied Shayna Bazler for the main roster, with the plan of giving her the Rumble win to set her up as a big deal on Raw.

Biggest missed opportunity was not putting the 24/7 belt on Brock during that Truth segment. I know it’s a joke belt that most would think is below Brock, but just for a few weeks whilst he’s around? I’d love everyone being too scared to even chase him. Or him just F5ing everyone with ease, Heyman not even stopping his promo to take a breath. Have him just throw it in a bin after a while or whatever. Brock proved with the boombox that there’s more entertainment to be had than him just standing there looking big.

Edited by Supremo

Havent seen the show but it reads really well - you can see there is a focus and it feels like there is a genuine attempt to put the focus on new talent (Black, McIntyre, Murphy etc). 

It also seems like theres a nice variety - great wrestling matches, angles, a wild brawl. Yeah theres goofy stuff and stuff that I dont care abour but in a 3 hour show you need the bits that you can take a short break from.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The three hours remains an absolute killer though. Even the best show stretched over such a long period of time is going to be a chore to watch.

The point is indisputable but they are doing a better job with it lately. As said, if it was on at a reasonable hour, I can imagine sitting through this, especially if I was used to the 45 ad breaks a minute they have on US TV. Certain points, like Charlotte's music hitting would be a good time to grab something to eat or make a cuppa but otherwise, I think it's much better paced and there are hooks for upcoming segments and hours.

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

Biggest missed opportunity was not putting the 24/7 belt on Brock during that Truth segment.

I thought they were going to for a second when he had a look atthe belt - I guess that was the point. They seem to like it though and getting it off him would be the issue. Would be fun while it lasted though.

Lana's got that Sable 99 fuck off heat now. She's good in her role but it feels like she's been the main character of the show forever, and she really shouldn't be, regardless of what she might think to the contrary. 

Well it depends - if the goal is “take away something for the internet to moan about” then yeah, fuck her off, although the last twenty years have proven we’d instantly find something else on the show to moan about in place of her. In terms of viewership though, the Lana-Rusev-Lashley saga is one of the best performing parts of the show, isn’t it? On YouTube, their clips are often matching or beating the Rollins/Lesnar level stuff for views, and are doing ten times the numbers of the midcarders.