Sign in to follow this  
d-d-d-dAz

The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

By the sounds of it Randy Orton has done some serious damage to his knee last night at a house show against Styles. 

Had to be helped to the back after landing awkwardly, WWE has acknowledged the injury and he's now appearing tonight with an update on the condition, which doesn't sound fantastic.

Really? 

Credit to them on their part then as I was sure it was real. For all the gripes I have about the product, there are still moments I just think yeah they've still got me invested and this is definitely one of them. 

Last Raw to air on Sky Sports tonight. Remember when we couldn't afford to pay the ntl bill listening in to attitude era Raw and the picture would be scrambled, also remember getting Sky Digital in 2001 and being elated at no more scrambled Raws. Now you couldn't pay me to watch it live.Still though, end of an era.

Edited by DCW

38 minutes ago, DCW said:

Last Raw to air on Sky Sports tonight. Remember when we couldn't afford to pay the ntl bill listening in to attitude era Raw and the picture would be scrambled, also remember getting Sky Digital in 2001 and being elated at no more scrambled Raws. Now you couldn't pay me to watch it live.Still though, end of an era.

It many ways it does feel that Sky have probably milked the best years out of the WWE and that BT have bought a brand that's on the decline. I could be wrong but I'm incredibly pessimistic about the rabbit hole the industry is disappearing down.

What a way to end WWE on Sky Sports. 

I mean they've put some absolute shit out on TV in years but that wedding was one of the worst produced pieces of crap considering of all of them Lana is the one that used to work as an actress. It's actually baffling how bad that was. 

I fucking loved the wedding, it was so ridiculously tongue in cheek.  This was actually a really good Raw - you had two hours of good matches, the first half an hour was properly boss with Joe and all that, and then one of those big ridiculous set pieces of nonsense the WWE does occasionally to soak up the rest of the time.

What with pyro, HLA, weddings and the like, it almost felt like a deliberate homage to the Attitude era.

Being fair though, this is the first Raw I've watched all of in about a year.

Conclusive proof that there’s no segment that Rusev can’t improve significantly by showing up with that goofy grin. You’re not going to get a segment worse than that and I still laughed and enjoyed it once he popped out of the cake in his shitty bow tie.

Embarrassing main event angle aside, the rest of the show was actually quite good. Owens and Joe looked great as top babyfaces the crowd actually want to cheer, Aleister Black vs. Buddy Murphy was another fun match that felt like both guys were starting to get over, Montez Ford shaking the ropes like a maniac is fantastic and - ultimately - everything on Raw feels like it has a purpose and direction. You can see where they’re going and who they want to make stars out of. It’s the antithesis of Smackdown, which currently feels like it only exists for Vince McMahon to enjoy.

Paul Heyman’s search history is just lesbians and cuckolds, isn’t it?

Edited by Supremo

It is strange to see the reaction to the wedding. I'm not quite sure what some people were expecting. It's literally exactly what a WWE wedding always is. Pure trash but in a strangely entertaining way.

I guess most of the kicking off that I've seen was about Liv Morgan. Instead of being happy that she's come back and actually involved in something, there are complaints that Sonya didn't get a lesbian angle first or that Liv didn't come back as Sister Abigail. Sure, because people wouldn't shit all over that too.

The wedding segment was impressively bad, containing pretty much all of the worst things that wrestling can be.

Yet...I kind of enjoyed it.

I think it turned the corner for me once Rusev jumped out of the cake in his bow tie yelling ‘HELLO, WIFE!’ 

The main problem for me is that from a kayfabe point of view it’s utterly ludicrous. How are we supposed to believe that Lana would divorce this absolute god of a man? Madness!

I like what they did with the Orton angle. Taking a news story that had spread like wildfire and turning it on it's head just when AJ and the fans all thought they knew what was going on.

I only watched the highlights but for all there was good on the show (Owens/Joe opening brawl with Seth and AOP, Black and Murphy, Andrade/Richochet, Orton swerve), it's still a massive drag. Charlotte and Natalya felt about an hour long, Street Profits/OC was too long, Erik Rowan segment might aswell be the same every week.

I get what Supremo is saying in that you can feel some focus in the show. They're trying with Rollins & AOP as a top heel act and Owens as a top baby with Joe and Mysterio. They're trying to move Andrade up. They're trying to boost Black and Murphy at the same time. They're trying to get something to click with McIntyre. They're trying a different appraoch to allow the Street Profits' charisma to shine through. They're building Becky and Asuka well and AJ & Orton continues to be a thing.

There is focus and effort. It might pay off long term but currently there's nowhere near enough to fill this show. The War Raiders are still having squashes most weeks because they'll never be over. The OC are a very poor stable. Their interest in a lot of people has been up and down hence constantly trying to reheat them. Ricochet is the most obvious current one but Black, Andrade, McIntyre and AOP are in that boat too. There's no consistency in booking. That's my big wish for 2020. To nail that down.

The women's roster is paper thin and the few stars they have are just going over the same stuff. Charlotte has to be the most boring character they have. Years and years now of the same Queen, Woooo shite.

Least said about that wedding the better. Even by campy pro-wrestling standards, that was scraping the bottom of the barrel. The biggest problem with it all is that even if it was building something, Lashley is still a terribly boring bastard and Lana is an atrocious actress and wrestler. So all it's doing it dragging down Rusev when they are in need of stars. Horrible.