The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

Is Shayna Baszler that bad a promo on NXT, or was her confrontation with Becky a case of Raw-itis? It was one of the worst cases I've ever seen of giving someone their bullet points and letting any potential chemistry drizzle out. It didn't even seem like her and Becky were in the same room. It was like that Foley promo from the MSG show in '97 where they had all three of his gimmicks on screen at once.

Edit: Seems other people dug it, though. Maybe I'm weird. I didn't get anything from that, unfortunately. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Is Shayna Baszler that bad a promo on NXT, or was her confrontation with Becky a case of Raw-itis? It was one of the worst cases I've ever seen of giving someone their bullet points and letting any potential chemistry drizzle out. It didn't even seem like her and Becky were in the same room. It was like that Foley promo from the MSG show in '97 where they had all three of his gimmicks on screen at once.

Edit: Seems other people dug it, though. Maybe I'm weird. I didn't get anything from that, unfortunately. 

I just watched it, have to say I thought it was really good. Shayna isn't your razzmatazz promo, probably because she's come into this quite late in her career, but I like the rawness about her promos.

I completely get your three faces of Foley comparison, I thought the dodgy camera angles really took something away from the moment. 

• Paid Members

Shayna feels like a real person in promos, which I like, but means she can feel really off when next to someone who's delivery is more WWE TV style - the same sort of thing that unfairly gave Bret Hart a reputation as a poor promo, because he was often juxtaposed with people more overtly "charismatic".

That said, this was a WWE bullet point promo, which doesn't play to anyone's strengths.

I’m surprised they’re seemingly taking the ‘Lesnar is the Raw champion’ route yet again. I’m moderately intrigued at who unseats him, but I think Wyatt’s route to Wrestlemania is depressingly clear. He ploughs through the Smackdown roster only to come a cropper at the hands/spear of Roman Reigns. 

I hope they keep Lesnar away from Rollins but I can’t see that happening, unless they move Rollins to Smackdown or something (which I’d be 100% in favour of - move him and turn him)

Surely to goodness Shayna will be on Raw or Smackdown sooner rather than later. She’s immense.

44 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

Is Triple H heel WWE COO or face NXT head?

Faces and heels matter about as much as wins and losses, bruda. 

Although considering he's rolling with the NXT kids, presumably this is face Triple H. I'm surprised he's not brought out the "off to see Metallica with Steph" coat yet. 

• Paid Members

Triple H's inconsistent character is probably my least favourite bit of WWE booking over the last 10 years. Hate it. Combining it with Brand Warfare, We're All Mates Because We Wear The Same Shirts is a recipe for disaster.

I've gone on this rant before, but "brand warfare" could be a compelling story. But it never is, because they always stick to such a dull, surface level version of it. It all seems so obvious to me what the problems are, and how to at least attempt to solve them, but they clearly don't give a toss.

• Why do wrestlers care about "brand supremacy"? Why are they loyal to RAW or Smackdown, to the extent they're prepared to team with people that, just last month, may have been hated rivals? What's in it for them? Especially when many of these wrestlers were only drafted to their respective brands a matter of weeks ago. 
    It was, in some ways, even worse with GMs, because invariably you'd have babyface wrestlers now gladly working with a heel GM that a week before was making their life hell.

That said, this is about the only time I think more involvement from authority figures would make sense. A heel GM for RAW, a face for SmackDown (for example), could explore why wrestlers would fight for their brand. A face GM might be able to rally the troops with little difficulty, as they are already respected, but may have to offer a title shot, or some other incentive, to a notable heel to win their services. A heel GM, meanwhile, could manipulate and bully wrestlers into joining their team - threaten punishment to anyone who doesn't beat their Smackdown counterpart at Survivor Series, make someone's life hell until they agree to work with them.

NXT, though, as much as there are rivalries between the wrestlers that shouldn't be ignored just because they wear matching shirts, make sense as a unified front. Their branding is "We Are NXT", they're presented as already having a sense of collective effort, and they have more to prove. Especially with Triple H riling them up.

• But then the problem is with Triple H. Because cool NXT Dad who loves Indie Wrestling, and does big dramatic intros to NXT Takeover then sticks around to have a chat on Facebook, is the same guy who hates Daniel Bryan, and spent years as a corrupt corporate suit. This should be the time to actually explore that dichotomy. Because he's not the GM of NXT - William Regal is. I'd have this exposed as Triple H using NXT wrestlers as part of an attempted power grab, and Regal be the one to expose him. If they're not confident in Regal doing the heavy lifting for the angle, use Shawn Michaels.
    You could go as far as saying that Triple H is weaponising NXT, and has been all along, to shape WWE into something he can control. It invariably becomes a McMahon Drama angle, but I think it can work. That way, it pivots into a "Corporate WWE vs. Plucky Underdog NXT" angle, which justifies the occasional main roster talent popping up in NXT for a ratings boost, but as part of a broader, more compelling storyline, and it rationalises the dichotomy of Triple H's character.

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

Im in the minority I know but I fucking hate that Montez Ford fella, he can talk and has charisma which I can see  but jesus I'd probably change the channel if it wasnt 3am

Or you could go to sleep.

Why are wrestlers prepared to team with hated rivals and defend their brand having being on the opposite brand a few weeks before?

well I don't know, but it's possibly the same reason the likes of Sol Campbell could turn out for Arsenal having being a Tottenham player just a week before.