The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

23 minutes ago, UK Kat Von D said:

When she changed her promo style, starting throwing out great insults on Twitter and then the Raw invasion where Nia smashed her face.

We'll leave aside Nia smashing her face as "character development" 😄 as that was a) unintended and b) couldn't be replicated all the time, so it'd be unsustainable as a source of popularity.

Becky Lynch didn't lose access to her Twitter account after WrestleMania, did she? Or to her vocal chords? No.

What she did lose access to was her status as someone that Vince McMahon hadn't booked to win the main event of WrestleMania. She did lose the ability to be seen as beneath Charlotte Flair in the pecking order.

Your understanding of character development makes about as much sense as the term "maternal father."

And Carmella was the SmackDown champion at SummerSlam 2018, not Ronda Rousey.

If you don’t think her powering through a bloody nose was a star making moment then this conversation is pointless. Never said it was intentional or could be replicated. She came out of it a hell of a lot better than when she went in. Her character was more intense after. Sometimes character development will come from real world situations or accidents. It still counts. 

She didn’t lose access to her Twitter account, but it just isn’t going to have the same impact when against Lacey Evans. 

Obviously me taking the piss out of your lazy cliches went over your head. Will add it to the list. 

If you honestly want to pretend Becky Lynch got over simply out of spite to McMahon and not because her act had developed into something hot, then I can’t be arsed

• Paid Members

Maybe I'm missing the point (so help), but Becky with a smashed nose giving it the big 'in is one of the coolest visuals ever. Like Steve Austin's broken neck, there was nowt planned about it, but it adds to the allure that the person is a proper hard bastard.

• Paid Members

The theory that Becky’s popularity was solely based on her not being Vince’s number one choice would only hold water if her popularity peaked at Wrestlemania. But that’s not what happened at all.

It turned to shit months earlier once Vince-prefers-Charlotte became the storyline on TV. If it was always about rebelling against Vince’s vision then it turning meta should’ve meant her popularity grew and grew, surely? Instead, she went from white hot when she was fearlessly squaring up to Ronda to being completely damaged goods by the time it became just another Vince McMahon vs. The Fans angle.

People were super into a gobby, swaggering, hyper-empowered woman. They weren’t at all into another yet “buried,” wrestler fighting against Vince’s stacked odds. If anything, this was an example of them taking one of those interesting characters that people were invested in and forcing the issue to become just another, “not my dad,” narrative, which killed her dead.

1 hour ago, ColinBollocks said:

Maybe I'm missing the point (so help), but Becky with a smashed nose giving it the big 'in is one of the coolest visuals ever. Like Steve Austin's broken neck, there was nowt planned about it, but it adds to the allure that the person is a proper hard bastard.

And yet, even though she had her nose smashed in November 2018, people stopped giving a shit once she got the big nod to be the top guy.

Edited by King Pitcos

1 hour ago, Supremo said:

The theory that Becky’s popularity was solely based on her not being Vince’s number one choice would only hold water if her popularity peaked at Wrestlemania. But that’s not what happened at all.

It turned to shit months earlier once Vince-prefers-Charlotte became the storyline on TV. If it was always about rebelling against Vince’s vision then it turning meta should’ve meant her popularity grew and grew, surely?

So you're disputing that Becky's Internet popularity had anything to do with rebelling against Vince, and your example to back that up is that her popularity started to downturn once the TV storyline made it obvious that Vince would be booking her to win the belt at WrestleMania... 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

And yet, even though she had her nose smashed in November 2018, people stopped giving a shit once she got the big nod.

Did they, though? Granted, I watch little WWE, these days, but I believe she is still one of the popular acts on the show. Am I wrong? I assume they're still doing business with The Man tees.

14 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

And yet, even though she had her nose smashed in November 2018, people stopped giving a shit once she got the big nod to be the top guy.

The top guy, dropping a belt too soon and working with Lacey Evans. Do you think they handled the follow up well to her becoming top guy? Can you genuinely look at that and not see how she cooled off?

She is still over though. 

Edited by UK Kat Von D

18 minutes ago, King Pitcos said:

So you're disputing that Becky's Internet popularity had anything to do with rebelling against Vince, and your example to back that up is that her popularity started to downturn once the TV storyline made it obvious that Vince would be booking her to win the belt at WrestleMania... 

This is the worst thing about WWE now. The fans don’t want storylines. They want to see their favourites succeed in spite of the storylines.

27 minutes ago, ColinBollocks said:

Did they, though? Granted, I watch little WWE, these days, but I believe she is still one of the popular acts on the show. Am I wrong? I assume they're still doing business with The Man tees.

I'd say you're right, normals are still big The Man fans and she's no doubt one of the most popular acts. But the discussion wasn't about normals, remember. It was about we (Dem) not being interested in a character as much as we're (Dey're) interested in forcing Vince's hand with booking.

On the subject of Becky, if all she's got to offer is "looks good with her nose broke" then she's done well to milk a year out of that one moment. But if what she's got to offer is great promo skills and great matches and great Twitter, it seems odd that she lost those skills after WrestleMania. Or if we're to blame her opponents, that she only has the skills when she's up against greats like Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair. Or if we're to blame the writers, that she only has the skills when they're writing good stuff for her in the first place.

The reality is she's still got the same skills, there's just less fire and momentum to it (and less interest in it, online) because she won. She made it to the top of the hill and that was that. The hordes raging about Charlotte taking Becky's opportunities never transformed into those people being fervent Becky Lynch fans once she was on top. A more recent example exists now - look at the Hell in a Cell thread. Every cunt fuming that Seth Rollins retained against Bray Wyatt, with a rage that suggests Bray Wyatt being champion is so important to us that him winning the belt would result in the highest satisfaction levels we've had with WWE in years. Well, now he has won the belt, so let's see if that happens.

Edited by King Pitcos

Why do you refuse to acknowledge bad booking is responsible for anything? Bray Wyatt’s title win was deflated because all the wind was taken out of his sails by a Hell In A Cell match going to a no contest.  Everyone hated that finish. It damaged Seth and Bray. 

Bad booking is responsible for lots of things - for example, was Batista winning the 2014 Rumble bad booking? It certainly made Daniel Bryan more popular. Same with Charlotte Flair winning the title at SummerSlam 2018 and getting Becky Lynch over. "Bad" booking (ie "my favourite didn't win the belt because Vince") is an essential part of WWE character journeys to the top in the current landscape, as Pinc pointed out.

If bad booking were the sole culprit for Rollins or Lynch losing any Internet points (not the ones they've gained and lost on Twitter, obvs), then we're saying that wrestlers don't have any responsibility for how good or bad their work is, and good booking must have been responsible for them gaining the Internet points in the first place. But that's not how it works, is it?

2 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

for example, was Batista winning the 2014 Rumble bad booking?

Yes, even Dave knew it was stupid. Nobody wanted that match. Bryan would have benefited more from winning the Rumble, and it wouldn’t have damaged Reigns later on. It was salvaged into a good story because of how much fans loved Bryan.
That was nearly six years ago. Use recent examples which actually apply to the current landscape. 

Sometimes WWE books things great and people catch on and get over. They never have consistent booking which maintains momentum past a certain point 

• Paid Members
14 hours ago, King Pitcos said:

No, the downturn came the moment they played on the very idea that she wasn’t Vince’s favourite and went back to the (wrong) idea that the only way to make someone popular is to have them positioned as not-the-chosen-one. Before then it was completely irrelevant. It was about this cool, cocky, boss woman who was the walking embodiment of the bollocks women’s revolution that they’d been pretending was happening for years. 

Plus, I remember that night they swapped in Charlotte for Becky. Barely anyone believed this was going to culminate in Becky winning in the end. I remember having long arguments about it with people, whilst they were panic fantasy-booking a way for Charlotte to be taken out of the match. At the time, “dem,” were completely convinced this was legit and Charlotte was the chosen one, etc, etc, and it didn’t help Becky’s popularity at all. It completely got in the way of the authentic way in which people originally loved her and became just another shitty rehash of Daniel Bryan in 2014. By the time Mania came along, people barely gave a fuck about Becky. Kofi was infinitely more popular because his character and storyline actually did fit with this Vince vs. The Smelly Fans concept, whereas it just detracted massively from what got Becky to that point to begin with.

When they turned the Daniel Bryan thing meta and it became obvious he was beating the whole of Evolution at Wrestlemania his popularity didn’t nosedive in the weeks leading up to it. It did when they did the same thing with Becky because there was something more there and it didn’t lend itself to that idea at all. She was over because she was a swaggering, cocky prick who shrugged off broken noses and was going to smash up Ronda Rousey. Not because Vince prefers blondes.

There’s absolutely something to this, “you’re not my dad, LOL,” stuff, but don’t become so obtuse as to try and argue it accounts and can be applied to everything. 

Edited by Supremo