The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, CTXRussomark said:

Massive lol at this guy being the guy Brock is meant to be scared of. Looked like he belonged in a fake security shirt pulling the real stars apart. Awful slow mo punches too. 

well, everyone knows Brock has every right to be scared of Cain because in real life Cain battered him...as a pro wrestler though Cain will just be the shits, his lack of charisma hurt him in MMA but he got by though because come fight time he was arguably the greateat MMA heavyweight that ever lived. You just know he'll always be super uncomfortable in front of camera though, everyone got excited when they saw him doing a few flippy moves in AAA but he just lacks everything else.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

well, everyone knows Brock has every right to be scared of Cain because in real life Cain battered him...as a pro wrestler though Cain will just be the shits, his lack of charisma hurt him in MMA but he got by though because come fight time he was arguably the greateat MMA heavyweight that ever lived. You just know he'll always be super uncomfortable in front of camera though, everyone got excited when they saw him doing a few flippy moves in AAA but he just lacks everything else.

That just makes me think less of Brock to be honest (in a wrestling context, not real life). Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't follow Brock's UFC run and this is the first time I've set eyes on Cain.  For Brock's boogeyman to look like that after years of Brock being the unstoppable monster just seems a bit laughable.  Reminds me of when they brought Dan Severn in to feud with Ken Shamrock but he just looked like a pudgy PE teacher in comparison. 

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, CTXRussomark said:

That just makes me think less of Brock to be honest (in a wrestling context, not real life). Maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't follow Brock's UFC run and this is the first time I've set eyes on Cain.  For Brock's boogeyman to look like that after years of Brock being the unstoppable monster just seems a bit laughable.  Reminds me of when they brought Dan Severn in to feud with Ken Shamrock but he just looked like a pudgy PE teacher in comparison. 

it makes sense from a pro wrestling point of view, but huge physiques/muscles are not what make a fighter successful. You only have to fire up youtube to see why Brock would be afraid of Cain Velasquez, he embarrassed Brock.

Edited by Egg Shen

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

You only have to fire up youtube to see why Brock would be afraid of Cain Velasquez, he embarrassed Brock.

That's a fair point, and if I was in any way invested in the WWE product I'd be doing exactly that to be fair.  But as someone who no longer watches (and never watched UFC) Cain gives a very underwhelming first impression bssed on that video. He's not someone I'd be going out of my way to research. 

WWE have used UFC footage before, haven't they?  If they can get the rights they'd be better just showing highlights of Cain killing people to build up how dangerous he is.

• Paid Members

Not everyone translates to wrestling. We know this. Legitimate credentials are meaningless. The Severn comparison mentioned previously is a good one. Even Shamrock, as decent a worker as he was, struggled to find himself in the WWF. He came across as a poor promo and lacked charisma but if you watch his UFC stuff, he always could talk his arse off. That never translated. Velasquez doesn't even have that going for him so it's going to be all down to his look and in-ring work and so far, it's a massive thumbs down.

I've been a huge fan of Rousey this last couple of years and I think her adaption looks even better now. She took to it like a duck to water and everything about her act was great.

I wonder exactly how much of the WWE audience actually knows who Cain is? Yeah, he beat up Brock Lesnar but that was almost ten years ago now. 

I wonder what percentage of the demographic WWE are appealing to would have been watching the UFC in 2010?

4 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Not everyone translates to wrestling. We know this. Legitimate credentials are meaningless. The Severn comparison mentioned previously is a good one. Even Shamrock, as decent a worker as he was, struggled to find himself in the WWF. He came across as a poor promo and lacked charisma but if you watch his UFC stuff, he always could talk his arse off. That never translated. Velasquez doesn't even have that going for him so it's going to be all down to his look and in-ring work and so far, it's a massive thumbs down.

I've been a huge fan of Rousey this last couple of years and I think her adaption looks even better now. She took to it like a duck to water and everything about her act was great.

It says a lot for how awesome Ronda was by how atrocious the womens division is without her. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, David said:

I wonder exactly how much of the WWE audience actually knows who Cain is? Yeah, he beat up Brock Lesnar but that was almost ten years ago now. 

I wonder what percentage of the demographic WWE are appealing to would have been watching the UFC in 2010?

That's been my thinking ever since his debut. Truth is, even with the larger MMA community, Cain has lost some of his appeal because he's only had 3 fights in over 5 years and he lost two of those.

Cain has never shown any sort of instincts for the sell. In fact, he's shown himself to be such a drab personality that it came as a shock he'd even watch something like wrestling, nevermind getting involved. He was responsible for some of the worst UFC Countdown episodes because he gave the UFC nothing to work with outside he fights right good.

Although he's clearly been making more of an effort over the last year or two, maybe seeing all the opportunities his pal DC is getting after he retires.

I have no doubts Cain will look good at doing all the in ring bits, as he's a freak of an athlete, but you need way more than that to make it.