The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

There were promising signs of life for Raw not long ago with the King of the Ring and all that but it seems to have fell off a cliff. Maybe once the boring draft and the Saudi shitshow is out the way things might pick up again. The roster looks promising though, as usual, you fear the three hours will sink them.

Bex vs Charlotte version 1022385 was nothing special. Relieved to see Charlotte turn back heel, hopefully this means the return psychotic kendo stick Flair from last year. Stunned Charlotte wasn't moved to Smackedown. Keep these two the fuck apart for just a little bit.  

The Tyson/Strowman thing has been an utter dud. There's no energy or intensity at all. Braun is already dead in the water for me and he simply doesn't 'have it' to carry an angle like this. Anyway, I thought he was Smackdown?

Imagine trying to get over Lacey Evans as a sympathetic babyface against Asuka and Kairi Sane. Fucking hell.

Viking Raiders were the highlight of the show. Great to see a proper tag team be built up, get over and win the belts at the right moment. Ivar is a blast to watch on the hot tag. I wish they'd commit to some of these bloody teams though, Roode and Ziggler have a decent look and chemistry. Now for Christ sake, give them a name, new outfits and some theme music.

Aliester Black is another shining light in this shit shower. Hit the gas on this guy, they've fucked it if he doesn't have the big belt by next summer.

Done a 180 on the Fiend/Seth feud. There last few interactions I've found genuinely hilarious. Just when I think they couldn't get any more tone death they always prove me wrong. The buzz and mystique surrounding Wyatt died at HITC, now I'm just enjoying this ride for the camp nonsense it is. The slow, pitiful death of Seth Rollins The Babyface has been fascinating to watch as well. Can't wait to see what wacky shenanigans they use to get out of the LMS match.

47 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They have Reigns, Wyatt, Strowman, Lesnar, Bryan, New Day, Miz, Nakamura, Zayn, Ali, Corbin, Roode & Ziggler, Revival, Heavy Machinery, Elias and the Luchas.

Looks much better to me. Unless Raw is going to really build around the women, they look in far more trouble.

I probably wasn’t clear on how I worded that...from a men’s point of view it feels very uninteresting. There are very few combinations of wrestlers that I’d like to watch wrestle here. Particularly when you consider some of the people who are likely to be at the top of that card.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

I probably wasn’t clear on how I worded that...from a men’s point of view it feels very uninteresting. There are very few combinations of wrestlers that I’d like to watch wrestle here. Particularly when you consider some of the people who are likely to be at the top of that card.

They've done a draft, two "shake ups" and the Wildcard "ignore everything" rule in just the last couple of years. Regardless of the outcome of the draft, the number of interesting or fresh match ups is zero.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

That Firefly Funhouse angle was bad. I'd have an anxiety attack if I had to be in the same room as someone watching that.

The Firefly Funhouse has always been that way, but there was always that “it’s supposed to be in his head, it’s a limbo and he’s mental” theory to it which gave it enough leeway you could explain why it was so stupid.

Somewhere down the line they just decided actually no, it’s just Bray actually playing with living puppets and it’s an actual room he goes to and films, but then that not only killed any unique mystery to it, but also moved it across that thin line they were walking because now it was actually him sitting with real kids and these puppets are alive and he actually did the muscleman dance.

Now Seth Rollins just rocks up there as if it’s just a room in the back everyone knows about and sets it on fire. 

I think it can be firmly slotted into Wrestlecrap now while we enjoy Bray losing another title match.

15 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

They've done a draft, two "shake ups" and the Wildcard "ignore everything" rule in just the last couple of years. Regardless of the outcome of the draft, the number of interesting or fresh match ups is zero.

Don’t get me wrong, it’s not specifically about fresh match-ups for me, it’s about this specific collection of characters all grouped together on one show. 

The prospect of watching Gable, Corbin, Ziggler, Rude, New Day, Wyatt, Lacey and even Lesnar (particularly if he feuds with Reigns again) as regular characters on one two hour show isn’t very appealing to me.

It’s nothing to do with the wrestlers as performers (well, except maybe Ziggler and Corbin), it’s the characters they’re playing. 

Seeing what they have done with Aleister Black the last couple of weeks reminds me of an interview Paul Heyman gave shortly after the deal to bring him to TNA in 2009 or 10 fell apart, where he said he wanted to bring (free agent at the time) Daniel Bryan in and have him run through the roster in 1 minute squashes where he’d get over a deadly submission in the process. 
This would have happened over the course of about a year, all the while building up another (monster) wrestler. Their paths would have eventually crossed with Bryan tapping him out as well... I think that was the plan.

I’d say keep an eye out on how much the announce team are produced to get over Black’s submission as time goes on...

He also wanted to get rid of all of the over 40’s minus Kurt Angle (and maybe 1 other?) and focus on building up the younger roster. See the general composition of the Raw roster, post-draft...

Lastly, I guess we can say that 205 isn’t long for the world. Carrillo, Tozawa, Gulak, LHP have all been removed from the show’s roster.

I’d say now we’ll see Heyman and Bischoff’s visions implemented.... but we know better.

Edited by uklaw

With the way they're booking this, it would be logical for it to be leading to Wyatt being traded back to RAW, a double turn and the Fiend winning the title followed by Fiend v Brock at Survivor Series because they need a big main event for that show.

Knowing them though, that's not what they're doing at all.

• Paid Members

I remember the days of the yearly spring cleaning, releasing wrestlers left, right and center with a simple future endeavors. They are now clutching on to so much deadwood because they would rather have people pop up on main event once a month then be free agents and go to competition. Yet, I would say this is purely down to the huge roster the 4 brands have now. It's like WCW 99 all over again

• Paid Members

In retrospect, Bray’s new character was always on the precipice of becoming schlocky wrestlecrap. A lot of the silly stuff was forgivable though because of how new, fresh and different he was. That’s all over now. Between the Hell in a Cell and now this shit, he’s just another spooky villain, doing the same spots Undertaker and Kane used to do, with the same stench of bad booking that the rest of the roster has.

That they’re even carrying on with the Bray vs. Seth thing is unbelievable. That Pay Per View finish was so toxic they should’ve just pretended it never happened and moved both guys on. Continuing it is going to do nothing but harm to both guys.

Hats off to Seth though. No matter how bad the booking is, he’s always able to make it ten times worse by being such a melt on Twitter. He’s currently trying to defend the Cell finish.

Someone in that company needs to take his phone off him. He’s a complete tragedy.

On the plus side, I love Evil Asuka in the green makeup.

Edited by Supremo