The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

It's not been presented as a sport in years, though. New Japan certainly looks more like a sport than WWE does, especially if you've got the Japanese commentary on to avoid the "inside" references, but it's still wrestling at the end of the day. 

Weird week of WWE for me. For as much as Raw has improved under Heyman recently, Austin's appearance only served to highlight what a mess they've gotten into, especially when it comes to the bigger picture.  

For a start, imagine opening the show with the biggest star from back in the day, from when they made stars, and following that up with Seth Rollins -  the biggest of dorks from this new era of making dorks. Rollins' lame pandering completely took the air out of the room and it sounded like the MSG crowd never recovered. Never has a segment made it more clear how much WWE have lost their way over the years. Austin, obviously, has always been a star a step above everyone else, but the gulf between him and the rest of the show has never been so massive. It just shined a light on how far standards have fallen and how stagnant and complacent they've been. Honestly, it was sad to watch and it made the rest of Raw a slog. 

I remember feeling disappointed they didn't have Steve interact with Becky or K.O. or even Roman Reigns on the reunion show, but I don't know what help that'd do long term. Austin - who doesn't look or sound much different from when he was in his prime - just makes everyone and everything today look lame as shit in comparison. He has self-agency and owns the character in a way that today's guys aren't capable and/or allowed. His character is so strong and defined.  You can believe in him. He completely exposes how passive, toothless and utterly boring today's babyfaces are written to be. He's fucking awesome. Even Braun Strowman looked tiny next to him -  his handshake left hanging, stood there limp like a total goon. 

It was telling that the only active roster guy MSG gave a shit about was Bray Wyatt. He's still in his own creative universe where his act can grow, insulated from the over-scripted, monotonous, sterile TV environment that will inevitably cool him to death. It's breathed new life into him. I'm dreading HITC, where it will all come crashing down, where he'll become just another guy.

But yeah, the show peaked with Austin and Wyatt. The only other thing that really stood out was the Conner's cure segment. That Roman Reigns is a guy I could root for. He was lovely in that and he's the perfect guy for it as long as they don't hammer it over your head. So much more wholesome than Stephanie or whoever doing it.

I was shocked to find out the PPV is on Sunday. The build has been weird and lacklustre to say the least.

For a guy they're so desperate to get cheered, they sure have gotten themselves into massive pickle with Seth Rollins. Their lack of building credible heels coupled with Seth being a bit shit, has made the top of the card ice cold since Mania. Now they're stuck in a position where the only credible guy to put him with is the one guy more popular than he is. Rollins vs Braun should be a cracking match but nobody believes in Braun winning anything anymore, and the "can they co-exist!", tag champ gimmick has been boring as hell. They should stick AJ Styles in there and make it a threeway, pal. He's the sole shining light in the main event picture.

On paper Becky vs Sasha sounded like a possible PPV headliner, but it's completely flat. The 4HW tag was solid fun but the Bayley and Charlotte 'turns' have diluted the build and took the edge off Sasha's return. Becky is just there. I've actually enjoyed this more nuanced(!) delusional direction for Bayley, but it's muddied the waters and I have zero faith in their ability to write it and pay it off properly. Their disinterest in building new female stars for Becky and Charlotte to work with (Bayley is just keeping that belt warm) remains a concern. Lacey has something but she clearly isn't there yet.

The only match at Clash of Champions I'm really looking forward to is, hilariously, Roman vs Eric Rowan. After all that silliness, the GoPro shots, the falling shelves, the fake Rowans - all it took was two hosses having a good old fashioned pro-wrestling brawl to get me interested. It's almost as if the whodunnit nonsense was a bad way to kill time and completely unnecessary!

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

• Paid Members
On 8/17/2019 at 12:19 AM, Supremo said:

King Corbin. I’m absolutely certain of it.

Ah, God bless you, Vince. You're nothing if not ridiculously predictable. However, predictability aside, I'm fine with King Corbin. Mid-card knob-head who gets humiliated every once in a while is where he's always belonged, so this positions him perfectly. Also, that match with Gable was probably one of the best matches of his career and you slowly sense that they're finally turning his, "oh, just fuck off," heat into actual heel heat now he's slipped down the card and isn't smeared all over the show. Good showing by Gable. What a talent. I'm happy to see them at least doing something with him. Between Gable, The Revival, Sasha, Harper and Rusev, it seems the best way to get a push in WWE these days is to either sulk, slag the company off publicly, outright ask for your release or just be the type of performer everyone assumes is destined for AEW.

Speaking of Rusev, wow. He looked fucking amazing.

image.thumb.png.941942e5f0b7f436458ae3b404a3b705.png

Bloody hell! Give him all the belts now! It's a borderline waste that he didn't save that physique and mustache combo for AEW. You know Vince will get bored of him in a few weeks time and it'll be similar to when Dean Ambrose returned looking like the Hulk and nothing came of it. Still, much like Harper, it's good to have him back and you can only hope his return is partly down to Vince trolling Meltzer.

The stuff involving Maria's gender reveal was trashy shit, but like I've said before I'll always take bad storylines and goofy vignettes over wrestlers just having wrestling matches. The charisma of Montez Ford seems able to make any old shit work, too. Thank fuck Ricochet being there lead to him having a match and beating Mike Kanellis with relative ease though because before anything happened it looked like the biggest demotion of all time, having Ricochet hanging backstage with all the worthless losers.

I loved Sasha and Becky's promos. What a difference it makes now that people are allowed to actually look at the camera again! You almost forget how bad the scripting is now that they're able to actually convey some fire and emotion. Those fiery promos being immediately followed by Lacey Evans making her entrance to absolute silence couldn't have been more perfect. I wonder if they look back at that Becky Lynch vs. Lacey Evans feud with regret and now admit what a pile of shit it was and how much Lacey wasn't ready for that spot? Surely, they just be aware of how badly that affected both Becky and the Women's division?

I loved the Bray stuff all night long. Still not sure whether the upside down graphics at the start were supposed to be attributed to him or whether that was a genuine fuck up though. The way they immediately fixed it after the first segment makes me think it's the latter. That ending where they kept playing the messed up Firefly Funhouse theme was really well done. Proper creepy. It speaks volumes for how patterned this show has become that anything out of the ordinary like that feels so fresh and exciting. I think that's why I didn't mind this show as much as most episodes; it featured enough different stuff to what we normally get that the time flew by compared to most weeks.

LOL at Seth. The chump run continues. Complete Billy No Mates. He got battered five-on-one for aaaaages and the only guy willing to save him was Mayor Kane. And then when Bray turned up he was scripted to just lie and look scared as they went off the air. I love the Fiend as much as anyone, but fucking hell that's not how the top babyface should be reacting to him. Hilarious. If I didn't know any better I'd think everything about how he's been booked these past few weeks is punishment for what a prick he made himself look on Twitter with Will Ospreay.

But yeah. Brock Lesnar vs. Hulk Rusev. Book it!

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

I know the commentary on the whole is pretty abysmal, but Michael Cole over egging the call "BRAY WYATT... THE FIEND!" everytime Wyatt appears is so jarring. Feels more overproduced than the usual commentary shite. 

Edited by Silky Kisser

• Paid Members

Don't get excited, you'll be suicidal again in two weeks!

The highlight on the highlights was Jacobs singing "I've still got it" as he ran off with the title. Hilarious.

Mesmerised by how skinny Cesaro's legs are. His new hipster trousers with no socks really highlight it.

I adore Rusev. Always have. I'd love to be more excited to see him but as Supremo says, they have form (time and again) for reverting to type immediately. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Silky Kisser said:

I know the commentary on the whole is pretty abysmal, but Michael Cole over egging the call "BRAY WYATT... THE FIEND!" everytime Wyatt appears is so jarring. Feels more overproduced than the usual commentary shite. 

My favourite is Cole shouting, “It’s Boss Time!” every single time Sasha’s music hits. You can feel his soul being slowly chipped away, like he’s losing the will to live. By the end of his career I imagine him quietly sobbing as he says it.

Edited by Supremo

Not sure how reliable Pro Wrestling Sheet are, but according to them Heyman was running Raw this week, with no Vince, Dunn or HHH around.

Pro Wrestling Sheet has learned Paul Heyman ran Raw this week behind the scenes due to Vince McMahon, Kevin Dunn and Triple H not being at the show. 

Sources tell us Triple H is already in Orlando to prepare for NXT’s premiere on USA, which is why he was not at tonight’s show in Knoxville, Tennessee.

It’s unclear why Kevin Dunn and Vince McMahon were not present, but WWE’s head honcho recently said hiring Heyman and Eric Bischoff as Executive Directors would prevent him having to get “in the weeds” as much as he’s done in the past.

We’re told Michael Mansury, who is WWE’s VP of Global Television production, filled in for Dunn.