The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
I'd say that a comedian destroying a dickish heckler at a stand-up comedy gig would be a more appropriate comparison than somebody going to watch a bit of Shakespeare.

Sorry like, but that is a horrendous example. Cheering and booing is encouraged when going to see two pretend fighters pretending to hate each other on a show which is supposed to be pretend. Slagging someone off and calling them "fat" and being a total cock to someone who's just paid about 40 quid to go and watch it is thick as fuck. Its bullying mentality from someone who clearly isn't comfortable calling himself a pro wrestler. If he did, he'd take it and like it. Hogan took it. Rock took it. Cena took it. The big boys take it. The little boys spit their dummy out. He wants to try playing for Sunderland. He wants to have people yelling "I hope your kid gets cancer and your wife catches the aids" at him at the Upton Park one week. They dont yell back. They go and shag someone the fans wouldn't know what to do with and drive a car they couldn't afford.

9blzzm.jpg

GayTats - it's not Cena not being able to convey anger, Cenas reaction would be staying true to his character and what John Cena is supposed to be. Rise above hate and all that. To be fair, Punk doing what he did is pretty true to what he is. Both reactions don't appeal to everyone. Your criticism of Cena here is invalid, it's not that he doesn't know how to or fails to comprehend that reaction is desired. Quite the opposite. It was true to Punk being Punk, which is good in a way but that Punk being Punk is definitely a right whiny little cunt.

• Awards Moderator
Remember that next time John Cena does a massive Baby promo and people boo. Fuck if it spoils how it comes across on TV. Say you went to watch King Lear at a theatre and someone's phone went off, the actors wouldn't stop to make them look a cunt in front of anyone. They'd be professional. You're so fucking blinkered if it's your crush.

This doesn't really add much to the discussion, sorry, but Daniel Craig and Hugh Jackman did stop a performance of a Broadway play when someone's phone went off in the audience, telling them to 'answer the phone, unless you've got a better story to tell'. And Richard Griffiths once ordered a woman out of one of his plays when her phone went off. So it does happen even with seasoned theatre veterans! Sometimes people just lose it, I can understand it a professional frustration if they're trying to get something across with their performance and then an audience member, willingly or not, takes everyone who might have been into it out of the moment.

I haven't seen RAW so I can't comment on Punk's approach.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Yeah, honestly I thought it worked too. It made punk come across as a guy who is furious enough to fight damn near anyone and didn't care who. I doubt he was actually that bothered by one guy booing him, but he figured on the "if this were real" stakes his character would, right now, be properly fed and be prepared to just have a go.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I don't personally think Punk was actually butthurt by it, simply used it in the moment. The only bit that may have been a bit much and made him look silly was saying jump the guard rail, but then he had to say that to drive the point home.

I don't think Butchs example is a great one either because in that situation I absolutely think the audience should be made a cunt of. It's an entirely different etiquette to being in a pro wrestling audience.

GayTats - it's not Cena not being able to convey anger, Cenas reaction would be staying true to his character and what John Cena is supposed to be. Rise above hate and all that. To be fair, Punk doing what he did is pretty true to what he is. Both reactions don't appeal to everyone. Your criticism of Cena here is invalid, it's not that he doesn't know how to or fails to comprehend that reaction is desired. Quite the opposite. It was true to Punk being Punk, which is good in a way but that Punk being Punk is definitely a right whiny little cunt.

I agree with you on all that. I understand Cena's reaction fit in with his character, but I didn't see any anger in him. I didn't feel like that character really gave a toss about what had happened. That may just be who he is but I can't connect with him on any level. The only time I can remember that I have really thought Cena was pissed off was when Orton slapped his Dad about. Punk's performance reminded me of when I have been extremely wound up about something, so I bought into it all.

Its clear a lot of fans either like Punk or Cena. If one character really appeals to you the other wont because they are as different as can be. That really just goes to show how special Bryan is, the guy appeals to everyone. There doesn't seem to be a section of fans that hate something about him. The guy literally has it all

Also loving the name GayTats, rolls off the tongue a lot more than tats are gay

I think Punk's belittling of that fan was more to do with the fact that he was supposed to be "pissed off" like he said, due to Heyman and due to Brock getting the win the night before. He was still all riled up from the event and when he was trying to explain in the ring you could hear a clear "Boooo" coming from behind him. If it was in reality and he was pissed off he would have gone after the guy, even in character Punk stands for no messing about and would have seen this as a fan being rude and interrupting him (massively intensified by him being so pissed off about what happened at SummerSlam). Likening Punk to Cena and so on isn't really the right thing to do, Cena seems to bask in boos and loves them as much as cheers. Punk, when heel even jeers and goads the fans when they get on his back so when he is getting cheered by the majority of fans and hears a clear boo when everyone is quiet listening to him he's going to stay true to himself and his character and go after the guy. Plus everyone is aware of Punk's relationship with fans and the crowd, he doesn't pander to them or kiss their asses, wanting their approval, there's the infamous invisible microphone incident, the "You've got a vagina" video, when he elbowed the wrong fan for hitting him in the back and obviously this week's Raw as well as tonnes more. The majority he did in character but the elbow incident was obviously one of those moments where he ended up out of character.

Fans should know what to expect from Punk now and if I'm being honest I think a fan would love to be the one Punk is yelling at and so on. Usually I think if you clearly boo and shout something to a wrestler you're looking for a reaction and Punk is one of those guys who will happily give you one. I bet that guy is bragging to his mates now that Punk challenged him to get in the ring and was having a go at him.

I honestly don't see the problem at all.

I'm amazed anyone thinks 'belittling' anyone to further a fake storyline is okay.

Though, With your sig, I'd be surprised if you were outraged.

You've basically listed a bunch of examples of him being a prick (hitting someone without checking he was even belting the right guy? Using vagina as an insult? ...though you did miss him calling a fan a 'faggot') and excused it with 'ah, that's just the way he is'.

That would literally never work as an excuse anywhere else in life, only with wrestlers who fans are keen to rationalise for.

'Sorry love, but you know me... I'm known for my raping...'

Monday was the least of his sins, but its still a bit shitty. Riffing on a crowd member, insulting them, because it furthers a pretend storyline is a bit naff. Whether or not the fan enjoyed it is just conjecture, and more rationalising.

If you can't convey the emotions of the story from within the confines of the story then you clearly aren't as good as you think you are.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

For me, it's context. Had he done it to a 8 year old in a high school gym with about 50 people in, that's not really cool. But in a big crowd, aimed at a adult male, I don't really see the big deal with it. He didn't use any slurs or biggoted phrases like he has done in the past, so it all seems a big fuss over not a whole lot. Crowd popped for it, at the very least.

I'm amazed anyone thinks 'belittling' anyone to further a fake storyline is okay.

Though, With your sig, I'd be surprised if you were outraged.

You've basically listed a bunch of examples of him being a prick (hitting someone without checking he was even belting the right guy? Using vagina as an insult? ...though you did miss him calling a fan a 'faggot') and excused it with 'ah, that's just the way he is'.

That would literally never work as an excuse anywhere else in life, only with wrestlers who fans are keen to rationalise for.

'Sorry love, but you know me... I'm known for my raping...'

Monday was the least of his sins, but its still a bit shitty. Riffing on a crowd member, insulting them, because it furthers a pretend storyline is a bit naff. Whether or not the fan enjoyed it is just conjecture, and more rationalising.

If you can't convey the emotions of the story from within the confines of the story then you clearly aren't as good as you think you are.

So when the Rock was pointing out individual adult Cena Fans in the audience during his 'Rock Concert' and calling them fat virgins, were you kicking up as big a fuss about that?

Yeah, probably.

The Rocks brand of exclusive, jock boy humour can fuck right off too.

Though, I'll be honest, I don't remember The Rock pointing out an individual crowd member and calling them, individually, a fatty or virgin or gay or whatever because they booed him. But, yeah, if he did that's shitty too.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

Yeah, probably.

The Rocks brand of exclusive, jock boy humour can fuck right off too.

Fair enough. Consistency is all I need :)

I had no problem with Punk balling out the fan. As has been said by a few, it was completely in context with the character and the situation and also the crowd reacted very well to it.

I think it's a given rule (as with comedy clubs as someone aptly pointed out) if you're giving stick to a performer they are perfectly within their rights to respond and even go further as they need to establish that they're the one's in control of the situation.

I love this angle. The execution has been brilliant. LaGoosh as way off the mark with his comments,

I just really really fucking hate Stephanie McMahon. Everything about her pisses me off. Honestly, no matter what she does even if it's amazing I will hate it because she disgusts me.

That seems very strong hatred for a TV character we've probably seen nary a dozen times in about the last ten years.