The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

It's quite the juxtaposition, record high revenue and collapsing ratings. No wonder Vince seems baffled, but it points to how brilliant he's mastered his business - even if he's running on fumes, creatively.

Until the money gets the hit, I doubt we'll see anything drastically changing. Quick, failed ratings boasters as Vince makes a fortune off his tired product.

7 hours ago, DavidB6937 said:

So what's everyones opinions on possible quick fixes for Raw? For me, it's difficult because there's so much talent there that I just don't care about because they haven't put the effort into pushing them properly. So it's impossible to fix overnight.

I dont think there are quick fixes to be honest.
Impact has shown that with time and patience you can at the very least give a company a new coat of paint by cycling out/repackaging stale talent and bringing in new talent [and, most importantly, bringing them in slowly and not over exposing them].
I doubt WWE has the patience to do that though.

• Paid Members

Renee Young when Sami Zayn's music hits: "This is my favourite part of Raw!"

Renee Young two minutes later: "Someone needs to shut this guy up!"

And then someone did - genuinely hope that wasn't writing off the "critic of the critics" character, but it kinda looked like it.

10 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'm not sure there are quick fixes gien they've tried all sorts already and it's still been shite. Getting the most starpower they can on the show, be that Goldberg, Rock, Austin, Cena, Reigns, Undertaker, Lesnare, etc at the same time might give them a boost. It's not a fix though. They need a long term plan for how they get the most out of this roster and how they get away from the same formula they've had for TV for 20 years. Those things are crippling them.

I'd be tempted to abandon the brand split this year and work towards unifying the world and tag titles. It's clearly not working for them and they don't have the stars to spread themselves that thin. They should have but it just doesnt work. That would go hand in hand with getting old star names back in the fold. Get them everywhere.

This is something I thought myself during some of Raw’s darker moments (ie. most of it) but the more I think about it, the less I think this would help.

It would effectively mean 5 hours a week focussing on the same stories. I can’t see that making things better at all, unfortunately. 

The boring answer is probably market research. Survey people who watch your show, people who used to watch your show and people who've never watched it. Ignore most of their actual specific suggestions because they'll probably be shit. 

Let people go. Most of them won't be missed and they've been on telly forever. Before you do let them go ask them how they would describe their persona to someone who has never seen them. If they say "really good wrestler," "athletic," or "cocky," then let them go. If they say a nickname from Game of Thrones then lock them in a room with a writer until it actually means something. 

Give every on screen performer a strength and a weakness. Some of this is simple, Daniel Bryan is a great technical wrestler but has a fucked neck. But some can be specific. A certain wrestler is susceptible to submission holds focusing on the knee. Another can't keep up with the cruiserweights. Someone doesn't hook the leg on covers. Someone is a loner and can't form any alliances meaning he has no back up. 

Probably hire more people who don't watch wrestling and see if they can come up with a new format for the show.

Hire more writers and split them into monthly teams. One is working on this month, writing the scripts for the week, adjusting to changes like injuries or an unexpected reaction, one is working on next month, planning the big matches, cards, stories, moments, ready to take the place of the first team, the third team is sitting around pitching shit, talking to wrestlers, they're working with Vince at this point so hopefully he's already on board and makes less last minute changes.

Throw unusual restrictions at wrestlers. Tell someone they have a grudge match where they're not allowed to do any suplexes because they just want to clobber the opponent with their fists, tell someone they have a kayfabe injury so they can't do any dives this month, tell someone that they're going to miss a top rope move and therefore their character won't do any for the next few matches, have their finisher countered in a way that costs them the match so they won't use it for a while with the story being that they have to find other ways of winning matches until they get over it and start using it again. Anything that gets them out of their routine and forces both them and the audience to think about why they do certain things. I know it's not hiding the negatives and highlighting the positives. Some wrestlers won't be able to do it. Some might find a new way of doing things. Some might get pissed off. They wrestle too much, you can't change that because you've got a million hours of TV a week, but you can put them in new scenarios. 

Realise none of this will make a difference. If a character or angle really catches on then the product might get hot again and people will be more willing to overlook everything else. Either way it's a three hour weekly scripted television show, it's never going to be good. 

My issue with WWE is that there booking is lazy and every match is like a indie spot fest which is tiresome and repetitive. Strip away the multi million pound production and most of the matches on Raw and Smackdown wouldn't be to dis-similar to what you see on Impact or ROH and personally I find straight up wrestling matches pretty boring especially when you have seen the matches a million times before with the same spots.

WWE need to take a big massive step out of there comfort zone and for me bring back Hell in a Cell, TLC, Steel Cage heck even Elmination Chamber matches as the main events on Raw and Smackdown like they did during the Attitude Era. I don't watch WWE to watch wrestling I watch WWE for entertainment and a straight up one on one match just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I mean you don't always just play a singles match on WWE 2k19 do you? Cause it's boring you liven it up with a stipulation.

WWE is like forcing adults to watch Power Rangers it's to kid friendly and i know WWE is heavily in to the make-a-wish and anti bullying campaigns etc but it's just all very to PC and bland and restrictive. WWE writers must feel like they are writing the programming with one hand tied behind there back.

Why is everyone doing a superkick and dive through the ropes? I find that really annoying as well just to add.

WWE has become just another indie promotion when it boils down to it.

Edited by C-Rock

3 hours is too long for even a good wrestling product. 3 hours is a long time to most people for a good movie.

In a time where their primary audience, ie the children and young teenagers, spend most of their time watching Snapchat videos and sub 10 minute vlogs, there's little surprise they're not able to keep them engaged over a 3 hour period each week. 

I'm not one of dem, but it really feels like Vince has lost any remaining grasp on reality. 

Edited by Undefeated Steak

3 hours is the elephant in the room. Unfortunately the elephant also comes with a lot of money so it's difficult to get rid of, but, for the sake of their fans and the long term future of their television product, they need to get rid. 

The fact that there's lots of rumours about Smackdown getting a 3rd hour tells you a) how likely that is to happen, and b) how untouchable they think they are. What happens when network subs are ⩾ TV ratings? I don't want them to fail but so many of their problems are self inflicted.

Edited by hallicks