The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I didn't watch Raw on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve but this was a better episode than all the recent weeks leading up to the Christmas period. The brawl at the start leading to the tag team match, and then to the main event gave the show a hot start and a hot end, something it hasn't had in quite a while. Along with the nice video on Mean Gene, and Lesnar turning up, it at least felt more noteworthy than it has been for sometime. Gable and Roode Vs The Revival was a good little match as well. I skipped Elias/Corbin and the Alexa/Rousey/Jax/Bayley stuff, but enjoyed pretty much everything that I did watch. 

• Paid Members

All of the Rollins/Lashley business was great. Nice and chaotic opening to the show and a consistent, recurring theme throughout. That’s how you build a rivalry. In general was great to watch all night, from the opening, to the six man, the main event and the way he Seth bumped beautifully for Lashley at the end. I’m not Lashley’s biggest fan, but I enjoyed watching more tonight than any other night of his career. Watching him chuck around skinny white Jesus-types is immensely pleasurable, especially if they sell like champions. I’m actually looking forward to seeing a a match between them next week if they go with that. Remarkable.

Enjoyed the Cena/Drew exchanges and the six man that followed. Along with the above, they successfully included six different characters on the show in that segment/match alone. Ambrose was going over in the main event so it made sense for him to take the fall here, unless they wanted to really stir the pot and have Drew pin Cena. All in good time!

Moment of Bliss - Great. This is the perfect vehicle to let women cut scathing promos on each other, intertwine multiple storylines and performers, the lot. Bliss is the perfect anchor as well for it. Even when she’s back in the ring they need to let her do this on the regular. Even just the small details of shooting it near the tron as opposed to the ring was a nice touch. They need to bin off all the male equivalents now and let them keep this as something unique to the division. Not to mention Alexa was looking nothing short of sensational. What’s more, Rousey vs Banks has tons of potential. 

The Mean Gene montage they pulled together was perfect - another winner from their production crew. Then the daft racist stuttered through a bog standard promo. Really, the ten bell salute and montage would’ve done them I think, but they obviously want to wheel Hogan back out to the masses in controlled environments, so whatever.

The Brock/Brawn segment was a mixture between wasteful and creepy. The split-screen element with Brawn constantly staring into the lens was all kinds of awkward. Then Brock comes out, circles the ring in his new shirt, then walks away. Cheers for clocking in. 

Elias’ act is still fun to watch but Baron Corbin is just the absolute worst dance partner anyone could wish to be paired with. Shit look, shit promos, shit wrestler in general. 

The booking of Roode/Gable vs Revival is so backwards. Having the heels legitimately screwed out of winning does keep the feud going but it just makes it all the more difficult to connect with your babyfaces in that case. How fucking lame is Raw's tag division at the moment? 

Just finally…what in God’s name is THIS NOISE:

What an, erm...rush? I guess? 

Was there last night...managed to blag some free tickets (which ended up being front row to my immense surprise/delight!)  and despite not watching RAW in quite some time, obviously had a great evening! 

Loved that they mixed up the format from the same old same old and the 6 man was brilliant.

hulks looking a bit ancient though isn’t he???

Edited by Sonny Mustang

13 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

The booking of Roode/Gable vs Revival is so backwards. Having the heels legitimately screwed out of winning does keep the feud going but it just makes it all the more difficult to connect with your babyfaces in that case. How fucking lame is Raw's tag division at the moment? 

I haven't watched Raw in an age, and I genuinely thought this was the other way round.  Revival are clearly the faces, and Roode/Gable the Angle-esque heels that think they're popular.  The crowd seemed to react that way too.  Are we sure this isn't actually the case?

15 hours ago, Loki said:

Nia dropped Banks as far as I could tell.  She isn't getting any less shit.

What was Banks even going for though? A hurricanrana to someone with one knee up on the apron? It's both difficult for Nia to take and would look lack impact anyway. I know they'll have agreed that spot but it's a shit one.

3 minutes ago, Sphinx said:

What was Banks even going for though? A hurricanrana to someone with one knee up on the apron? It's both difficult for Nia to take and would look lack impact anyway. I know they'll have agreed that spot but it's a shit one.

Was it even a botch? It looked like that spiked huracanrana that Kalisto uses.

1 minute ago, Snugglecakes said:

Was it even a botch? It looked like that spiked huracanrana that Kalisto uses.

That looks like what they were trying for, but neither of them seemed to know how to actually pull the move off.

I thought the Rousey/Bliss/Jax/Banks segment was really poor. Rousey was trying (really badly) to make Banks seem more important and more of a threat than what she has been treated recently, and the crowd did not seem to be anywhere near as behind Banks as it seems WWE wanted them to be.

The Lesnar/Strowman stuff was awful as well. Strowman has apparently not been cleared for any physical action, but that does not forgive the terrible promo work from him and the poor writing for him.

38 minutes ago, DJM said:

That looks like what they were trying for, but neither of them seemed to know how to actually pull the move off.

I thought the Rousey/Bliss/Jax/Banks segment was really poor. Rousey was trying (really badly) to make Banks seem more important and more of a threat than what she has been treated recently, and the crowd did not seem to be anywhere near as behind Banks as it seems WWE wanted them to be.

The Lesnar/Strowman stuff was awful as well. Strowman has apparently not been cleared for any physical action, but that does not forgive the terrible promo work from him and the poor writing for him.

he took so long getting his words out I thought he'd forgotten his lines.

And alas, I feel vindicated for my "Strowman isn't the top guy" stance from a year ago. Watching that last night, I couldn't believe how poor he came off. Just projected anti-stardom by flatly gurning out his crap lines. I don't know who thinks "Beastie Boy" is funny, but they need to be beaten with hammers and left bleeding in the moonlight, because every time he says it, especially after Brock wankered him at Crown Jewel, it's like watching a six year old in an argument. Strowman was best booked as a monster to feed to the top guy, not to be the top guy. You could maybe get away with the "special attraction" babyface, but they can't resist throwing in the chuckles with shit like Nicholas the tag team champion and playing the cello, because they apparently think all faces need to be able to have a laugh.

Think the Sasha/Nia spot was supposed to be a rana off the apron, but the timing and weight distribution meant Nia was tilting to the wrong side and Sasha just ate it.  

Edited by Liam O'Rourke

Good, different start to Raw this week. The shakey camera angle added to the chaos. 

Good six man & main event.

Elias has been terrible since turning face, and pairing with him with Corbin does him no favours at all.

Have to laugh at Cena saying you have to step up or get left out at Wrestlemania, come off it every bugger gets on the card thats why it has become so unwatchable in recent years.

• Paid Members
On 1/9/2019 at 1:59 PM, Liam O'Rourke said:

I don't know who thinks "Beastie Boy" is funny

Probably the same people who thought Roman Reigns calling Shaemus "tater tots" over and over was funny. They just can't write babyfaces. 

Though to be fair that cello spot was great. 

On 1/9/2019 at 11:43 AM, Loki said:

I haven't watched Raw in an age, and I genuinely thought this was the other way round.  Revival are clearly the faces, and Roode/Gable the Angle-esque heels that think they're popular.  The crowd seemed to react that way too.  Are we sure this isn't actually the case?

It's not the case currently, but there's possibly build towards that point. It seems like they're going for a "Revival are being held down" thing. For weeks, they were booked in handicap matches against all three of the Lucha House Party.